Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

ListGrid: Resize columns & auto fitting

Hi,

Is there a combination of settings which could be set to achieve a ListGrid which is able to auto fit / fill column space for the whole width of the grid when the user resizes a column? Please see http://www.bacubacu.com/colresizable/ for an example: When I drag and resize a column in this table, the adjacent cell is adjusted to automatically fit for/fill the relevant space. I tried experimenting with the autofill/fit/width="*" settings with 6.0p SmartGWT with no luck.

We consider this a very undesirable behavior, because as the user tries to resize one column, the widget then forces a resize of other columns, which the user may already have set to a desired width. The end user is also prevented from doing horizontal scrolling.

If you wanted to force this anyway, you'd run autoFitFields() or autoFitField() every time the user resizes a field.

Comment

Thanks, we'll explore this option. I agree the example is not very optimal. A better approach would maybe be to adjust the size of all adjacent cells with some percentual logic taking into account the current proportions of each cell.

We have a "desktop-like" application with a fixed viewport. When the application loads up or, the browser is resized, SmartGWT fits the columns automatically to fit the layouts the grids are added into. Some of our users find it a bit weird that when they resize the columns to their liking this logic kind of changes. If they resize the browser, the columns are not anymore fixed to the layout space grids are granted with. I understand the logic behind this and the downsides but would like to try this approach if it fits the users of our application better.

Comment

Feel free to explore, but do note that there aren't any common pieces of software which ship with an interface like what you are considering.

Comment

Working...
        X