Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

No data displayed in online batch uploader sample after upload

Hi Isomorphic,

when downloading the .csv-file from the Batch Uploader sample and uploading it again, the displayed ListGrid above the "Commit" button is empty.

This is true for FF33 / IE 11.0.12 under Win7. I did not test other configurations.
    The showcase used is the online showcase (SmartClient Version: v10.0p_2014-09-23/AllModules Deployment (built 2014-09-23)).

Best regards,
    Blama

We actually fixed this a couple of weeks ago but nobody posted a message about it here - sorry about that, and thanks for the error report

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

it's working now, but I found other counter-intuitive behaviours - I'd say bugs.
      I'm using the online showcase v10.0p_2014-10-23/AllModules Deployment with FF26/Win 8.1:
      1. When you upload the file and edit a text field (and others?) in the row, clicking outside the row or even outside the batch uploader does not exit edit mode as it does in this sample.
      2. When you enter a row via doubleclick and exit with ESC, all errors in that row are gone and the erroneous fields (eg. "EACH" in "Unit"-field, minus value in "Unit Cost"-field) are NULLed.
        This is also true for the fields where the error message was "Example DS does not allow null or empty values" (e.g. "Next Shipment"-field) before.

Best regards,
      Blama

Comment

We've made a couple of tweaks to address these two comments.
        These will show up in the Nov 11 or above build (10.0 and 10.1 branch)

Regards
        Isomorphic Software

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

does this mean that you fixed/changed the Batch Uploader itself or the Batch Uploader sample?

Best regards,
          Blama

Comment

Changes were applied to the BatchUploader class itself.

Comment

Hello Isomorphic,

is it possible that you backport these fixes to 4.1p as well?

Thank you & Best regards,
              Blama

Comment

Hi Blama
                Now backported. Please try the next nightly build, dated Nov 19 or above

Regards
                Isomorphic Software

Comment

Shouldn't fixes be "backported" automatically to 4.1p as well, without having to ask for this explicitly in the forum, since 4.1p is still a supported version?

Comment

The fix causing an empty BatchUploader was already backported to 4.1. The behavior changes (enabling modal editing and specializing ESC behavior) were not.

However in general, not all fixes are backported to all older versions. As versions become increasingly obsolete, some fixes do not patch cleanly from the latest code, creating both more effort and making it more likely the fix will introduce some other issue in the older version.

Security-related fixes and regressions are generally always backported, but more peripheral fixes that couldn't possibly affect an already-completed application won't always be backported past the current version (unless specifically encountered by a customer who needs the fix).

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

thanks for updating the online EE showcase (now 2015-01-28). I checked the online sample against my comments:

Originally posted by Blama View Post
                      When you upload the file and edit a text field (and others?) in the row, clicking outside the row or even outside the batch uploader does not exit edit mode as it does in this sample
                      This is working now, but when in edit mode in the Batch Uploader, only the double-clicked field is in edit mode, not the whole row like in the normal ListGrid. Tabbing works in edit mode, but not clicking the next field.
                      This behaviour is counter intuitive and most likely unintended.

When you enter a row via doubleclick and exit with ESC, all errors in that row are gone and the erroneous fields (eg. "EACH" in "Unit"-field, minus value in "Unit Cost"-field) are NULLed.
                      This is fixed.

This is also true for the fields where the error message was "Example DS does not allow null or empty values" (e.g. "Next Shipment"-field) before.
                      This is still the case - most likely the errors are removed because the specific fields are not marked as required="true" in the .ds.xml and the error come from the ExampleCustomDataSource.validate()-call.

Best regards,
                      Blama

Comment

If you apply any fixes, could you also apply them in 4.1p? I'm still on that version and if I'm using the widget and not the new DataImport APIs you added in 5.0, I like to stay on it for some more months.

Best regards,
                        Blama

Comment

It is possible we will make changes in the sample to address some of things you point out here, but there is nothing wrong with the underlying component. The editing behavior in the grid is just the way it is configured - specifically the editByCell and modalEditing settings. If you don't like them, you can change them in the BatchUploader's "grid" autoChild. For example:
                          Code:
                          BatchUploader bu = new BatchUploader();
                          bu.setAutoChildProperties("grid", new ListGrid() {{
                          	// This will stop it editing one cell at a time 
                          	setEditByCell(false);
                          	// This will stop it from dropping out of edit mode on click outside
                          	setModalEditing(false);  
                          }});
                          On the other point, yes, the error icons disappear because they are coming from custom server-side code and not from declared validators. We agree this looks wrong, and we will probably do something to address it; but it is not something that would be an issue in your own real-life usage of BatchUploader.

Regards,
                          Isomorphic Software Support

Comment

Working...
                          X