Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

How to pre populate a text field with a value from a column in sql table

I am using isomorphic smartClient v10.0. I have a situation in my current project where I need to pre populate a text field in a dynamic form with a value equal to the maximum value of a column in a sql table. Is there any way I can achieve it? I have created a function in a java class which will return that maximum value from a sql column. But, how to store it in an isomorphic dynamic form field?

I will appreciate any help in this matter.

Regards,
    Akash

Hi,

get the value via a DataSource-call with a special operationBinding, then build the GUI in the callback and set the default value accordingly.

Best regards
    Blama

Comment

FYI: With server summaries you can do this in your .ds.xml (Power version and above) and don't need any Java code.

Comment

What I did is:

{name: "code", type: "text",canEdit: true, required: true, length: 170, width: "*", allowEmptyValue: false,
        optionDataSource: isc.DataSource.create({
        dataFormat: "json",
        clientOnly: true,
        showPrompt: false,
        dataURL: "constituent/constCode",
        fields: [{name: "id", type: "text"}],
        handleError: function(response, request) {isc.warn("Error reading constituent codes.");return false;}
        }
        )

This 'constituent/constCode' dataURL points to a function which returns a string value. Is this process correct?

Comment

Hi,

I'm not sure why you try to simulate something clientOnly in JavaScript. Why don't you use a real DataSource? You were saying the value should come from a SQL table (=the server).

Best regards
          Blama

Comment

Thats what my project demands. can I link the data source to a method or function() which will execute a sql query and return me a string value ?

Comment

If I want to create a data source which can be linked to a method(which in turns returns a string value), then can I do it? If yes, how?

Comment

Quite simple to do, but you should start by reading the QuickStart Guide, Server Framework chapter, to get an idea of the basics which you don't appear to be aware of.

Comment

Thank you sir! But, I will appreciate if you can say why every time I try to fetch data through DataURL, it shows the field as a 'Select' drop down menu even though I have set the field as 'Text'

Comment

You're specifying type:"text" - this tells the system the data type, not the UI control to use. Then, based on the fact that you have an optionDataSource, it chooses a SelectItem as the appropriate UI control. If you want to override this, you would specify editorType:"TextItem".

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

I did your way and it worked. I just have a simple query over this. If at all, I wont use optionDataSource, instead I use only dataSource and try to fetch the data and populate on a textfield without any dropdown, then will the below code work?

{name: "code",type: "text", canEdit: true, required: true, length: 170, width: 180,
                        dataSource: isc.DataSource.create({
                        // editorType:"TextItem",
                        allowEmptyValue: false,
                        fields: [{name: "code", type: "text"},{name: "id", type: "text"}],
                        handleError: function(response, request) {isc.warn("Error reading constituent codes.");return false;}
                        }
                        )

Will appreciate your views in it. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Code.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	248209 It is coming something like the above attachment. I want the textField to similar to description but populating that value with no additional titles like 'Code' or two boxes.

Comment

There is no such documented property formItem.dataSource, and generally if you just make up new properties, that won't work.

Go back to using optionDataSource and simply read the docs for it - it exists to allow a query from a related table, saving an ID value while showing the end user some other user-friendly property or properties. There are also many samples to look through.

Comment

Can you send me a link to such sample? I did the below code by reading the values from related table.
                              {name: "code",type: "text", canEdit: true, required: true, length: 170, width: 180, allowEmptyValue: false, editortype: "TextItem",
                              optionDataSource: isc.DataSource.create({
                              allowEmptyValue: false,
                              fields: [{name: "code", type: "text"}],
                              }
                              )

It still displays like the below: I want this @WASH0115310 to come in the text box field not in drop down. Moreover, it retrieves correct data. The only problem it does not display in the text Box. Click image for larger version

Name:	Code.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	248223

Comment

Working...
                              X