Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

I want to add to the sentiment of this thread. Many of my customers shun our web app and try to do as much as possible through our ios/android apps, since they think our web looks ancient. From my perspective, i desperately need a new UI on the web.

Comment

Once again, a new skin is already part of the next release. No need to add sentiment when the project has been underway for months.

However, do realize, throughout the entire history of software, when end users have been presented with two possible interfaces, they have consistently chosen whichever allows them to get their job done quickest, no matter which interface is supposedly more modern.

This has been seen again and again, most famously with green screen interfaces that just wouldn't go away even when management insisted that workers use the new interface (which at the time was not as good). The same thing happens basically every time a new system is rolled out that replaces an old one.

With this long history in mind, it's probably safe to say that your end users are not choosing to use a cumbersome, less functional interface because there's 15% too much rounding on the buttons in the interface that is superior in all other ways...

Although you may be receiving vague feedback from the users, claiming the web interface is "not modern", which may make you think it's purely about aesthetics, it's not. Something about your web interface makes it less effective for end users. Feedback that the app "is not modern" often means that the app makes them log in too often, or some similar usability difference between native apps and web apps that has nothing to with appearance.

A new skin won't fix that, so we suggest you look closely at customer workflows and figure out why the web interface doesn't work as well for their tasks.

Comment

Thanks for your valueable feedback. You seem awfully sure that "Something about your web interface makes it less effective for end users" and that "it's not" about aestethics. I guess i'll have to take your word for it.
        Last edited by mathias; 17 Jan 2017, 08:20.

Comment

No, what we recommend you investigate, not take our word for it.

As of your previous post, it seemed you were settled on an explanation that we really don't think is correct, based on a great deal of history and experience.

Comment

Here we have some screenshots of the new skin Tahoe: http://blog.isomorphic.com/introducing-tahoe-part-1/

Comment

Nice, that post should be enough to calm down our managers. Will buttons forms toolstrips and dialogs also be "affected"?

Comment

Thanks for the link sashir

It looks very nice and I think our customers will be happy. Sadly there's no eta, but at least isomorphic is working on it :-)
                We're looking forward to the next release!

Comment

Haven't found an ETA either. Iso, is there one?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonF View Post
                    It looks very nice
                    I also like what is anticipated in that blog post.
                    I'm not sure that I like the color of the selected state of the grid (I'd prefer something more similar to the color of the over state), thinking of a totally selected grid.
                    Also, I miss the box-shadow added to the grid's header in the 11.1 release.
                    But in general I'm hoping for a more simply customizable skin, rather than one that suits my tastes.
                    Keep up the good work!
                    Last edited by claudiobosticco; 7 Feb 2017, 06:28.

Comment

Originally posted by claudiobosticco View Post
                      I'm not sure that I like the color of the selected state of the grid (I'd prefer something more similar to the color of the over state), thinking of a totally selected grid.
                      Hello, while reading http://blog.isomorphic.com/introducing-tahoe-part-2/
                      I found also a bit strange that the selected state for the TreeGrid has the same color of the buttons: a button as a recordComponent in a TreeGrid will not be very visible when a record is selected.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

while I was happy with my modified Simplicity skin, I really really like the new unmodified Tahoe. Impressive and clean. Looking forward to it.
                        @All: You can now also test the new skin with the links provided in the blog post, e.g. here.

Best regards
                        Blama

Comment

Hello Isomorphic,

the new flat modern skin looks very promising. Our customers are very keen on this!

Kind regards

Thomas

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,
                            We are trying to make our website responsive. Right now we are getting the page width and the depending on that value we are changing our layouts. For this, we have to write code on every page. Are we using the right approach or not. Or there is any other option for making a Smart GWT website responsive.

regards
                            Ankul

Comment

Stop doing what you're doing and read the Mobile Development overview.

Comment

The new look linked in the blog post at the beginning of this thread looks decent. But the current demo still has the Windows 98 look. Any plans to support React as Sencha recently announched?

Comment

Working...
                                X