Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Improvement suggestion: Positioning of SelectItem / ComboBoxItem dropdown

Hi Isomorphic,

I have an improvement suggestion for the positioning of SelectItem / ComboBoxItem dropdowns.

If possible, the Dropdown should not hide the SelectItem/ComboBoxItem itself.
    If the value set in setPickListHeight() makes this impossible, you can't do anything about it. But in other cases, an improvement is possible.

What you currently do:
    If the DD can't be placed below the item in full without hiding the item itself, you put the lower end to the bottom of the browser window and make it as high as required - hiding the item itself.

If the place above the item is more than below the item and sufficient to hold the whole DD, you could put the DD lower end to the top of the item.
    This way, one can see the current selection when using the dropdown.

This is the normal way the browser (in my case FF11) handles a html select dropdown (see the "Notification Type" select when you edit a new entry in this forum).

Best regards,
    Blama
    Attached Files

I stumbled upon this post because we're seeing the same behavior. It can also be seen in the show case if run in a small browser window e.g. http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwt/...ormat_dropdown

The OP posted this as a /feature suggestion/. It's hard to believe that among the 1000ds of settings in SmartGWT there isn't one that controls this behavior? I checked the ComboBoxItem Javadoc high and low...is it really missing?
    Last edited by fhisg; 18 Sep 2012, 21:10.

Comment

This is already fixed in 3.1. There's no setting, it's just automatic.

Comment

Ok, that's good to know. How "automatic" is it then i.e. how's the behavior in the various scenarios?

Comment

Not sure what this means; just let us know if you find a scenario that doesn't work well.

Comment

Not fixed for me. See http://forums.smartclient.com/showthread.php?t=25773.

Comment

Just a quick note to let you know this is not forgotten.
              It got pushed back by some more severe issues but we have a developer scheduled to take a look. We'll let you know when we have more information.

Thanks
              Isomorphic Software

Comment

We've made some changes to address this in the 3.1p / 4.0d branches. Please try the next nightly build (March 21 or above) and let us know if this continues to cause problems for you

Regards
                Isomorphic Software

Comment

Working...
                X