Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

How can we use synchronous Datasource operations?

Hi All,

I am new to use/learn SmartGWT and stuck with a problem regarding Datasource. I have a Datasource fetch operation and the value I get from DSCallBack of this is processed in subsequent logic. But since the Datasource operations are asynchronous, am sometimes left with blank/null values.

Let me know if I am doing something wrong or if there is a way to do Synchronous calls to Datasource.

Code:
    	private String setRoleField(String attribute) {
    		Criteria rolefetchCriteria = new Criteria();
    		rolefetchCriteria.addCriteria("searchFlag", 1);
    		rolefetchCriteria.addCriteria("User_ID", attribute);

requestProperties =new DSRequest();		
    		requestProperties.setOperationId("outletRoleFetch");

DataSource.get("recently_accessed_module").fetchData(rolefetchCriteria, new DSCallback() 
    		{
    			@Override
    			public void execute(DSResponse dsResponse, Object data,
    					DSRequest dsRequest) {

Record[] record = dsResponse.getData();	
    				outletRole = "";
    				for(Record singlerecord: record)
    					outletRole += "<font class='overview-subtitle'>"+singlerecord.getAttribute("OutletName")+"</font><font class='overview-time-label'>"+ singlerecord.getAttribute("Role")+"</font>";	

}

},requestProperties);	

return outletRole;
    	}
    This code is always returning me "" empty value.

The Smartclient version am using is -->SmartClient Version: v10.0d_2014-09-09/EVAL Deployment

Thanks,
    Babu

Hi vinobabu,

clientside DSRequests are always asynchronous. So your DSCallback-approach is correct.

Are you sure that your call returns any data? If not, your result would be correct, wouldn't it? Please check this in the Developer Console's RPC-tab. See the BuiltInDS sample for how to open the Developer Console.

Best regards,
    Blama

Comment

Thanks for the reply Blama.

Yes I get DSResponse in Dev console, but the method in which the DS operation is happening doesn't return a valid value.

In other words, my function is returning value before the DSCallBack is received from the Datasource. I am thinking if this can be solved by making the Datasource operations Synchronous.

I am interested to know how this issue is solved universally across SmartGWT users. If we don't have the option to make a DSRequest Synchronous, how is the situation when DSRespose is not received in few seconds and the subsequent business logic is receiving "no Data".

Thanks and Regards,
      Babu

Comment

Hi Babu,

I didn't see the return. Does this sample help?
        Generally speaking you won't get rid of the asynchronous nature of SmartGWT/GWT/AJAX, so you'll do much work in Callbacks.

Best regards,
        Blama

Comment

Hi Babu,
          you can pass a callback object to your setRoleField method, which you can call when the data is available. So your setRoleField method returns void and the data is available via your callback.

Comment

Thanks edulid.

This sounds like a plan. Could you please provide me a prototype of it, which will help me more.

Thanks and Regards, Babu

Comment

Working...
            X