Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

IE-11 oddity when clearing caches

I upgraded to the latest nightly build on the version we are on and had a terrible time clearing IE-11's cache. So I this is for anyone in the same boat.

Symptom: after upgrading to the latest nightly build, when testing with IE-11, I would get the SmartGWT error in the client log stating that the version loaded in the browser did not match with the version on the server.

So using Chrome, I looked at the SmartGWT version number in the SmartClient Dev Console, and it was the latest version I just upgraded to.

Going back to IE and doing the same thing, I would get the same SmartGWT error stating the version loaded did not match the version on the server.

To delete the cache in IE-11, you bring up Internet Options, under the General tab, you see the section labeled Browsing History, and I already have Delete browsing history on exit. I clicked on the Delete button and have all the options selected and would click OK. And restart my browser and still get the same error complaining about SmartGWT versions.

To solve this mystery, I click on the Settings button (next to the Delete) and then click on the 'View files' button and manually delete everything in this popup window.

Then everything worked as expected.

So be warned, if your cache is not clearing like you expect in IE-11, you may have to go in and delete all the files manually.

This was a first for me.
    Last edited by JLivermore; 20 Oct 2014, 10:24.

We haven't seen this before, but note that the correct way to clear cache is to restart the browser and clear cache *after only visiting a blank page*.

If you try to clear cache while you still have a SmartGWT page loaded, the browser needs to retain the resources of the page in memory, or the page won't work. In some cases this seems to lead to persistence in disk cache as well.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for that detail on clearing the cache on an empty page.

What was really bizarre was after I got the cache cleared, IE-11 was working fine. After a few cycles I got the same SmartGWT version conflict except this time the version it was complaining about was a nightly build version that I haven't worked with in several months.

So I did the same thing again, go into the Settings button in the Browsing History section of the General tab (Internet Options) and clear all files that were shown.

Comment

What was really bizarre was after I got the cache cleared, IE-11 was working fine. After a few cycles I got the same SmartGWT version conflict except this time the version it was complaining about was a nightly build version that I haven't worked with in several months.
        Your support contract is rescinded.

Kidding, but, if you report any issues related to IE11 to us, please make absolutely sure you are not in this situation before filing an issue.

Comment

Yes, this is one of the the bumps on the learning curve, making sure you are really running what you expect version wise, when upgrading.

It's really nice to see the version check Exception, that makes things very clear.

Comment

Working...
          X