Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Actually, more basic than any of the above, you also don't appear to have checked whether two different copies of load_skin.js are loading, which is the basic first step of troubleshooting (from the QS Guide duplicate skin load discussion).

Comment

The solution in post 17 appears to have worked! To answer my own questions, EnterpriseResources vs Enterprise are default gwt.xml files provided by SmartGWT.

FYI I DO need SmartClientProDefault, just taking the content and moving it into my gwt.xml was not good enough, I get an exception when starting my server regarding missing buildinTypes.xml.

This issue still seems like a bug to me. And I hope I did not break anything else by applying this change.

Comment

Sorry, we don't follow that explanation, but no, there's no indication of a bug here. You haven't even stated whether they were duplicate skin loads, and your <inherits> were clearly not the recommendation.

Comment

Actually the problem is NOT fixed, I was looking at the wrong test case and the problem still exists. Here's my updated xml, pretty barebones.

Code:
          <module rename-to="portal">

<inherits name="com.smartgwt.SmartGwtNoScript"/>
              <inherits name="com.smartclientpro.SmartClientProDefault"/>

<inherits name="com.smartclient.theme.enterpriseblue.EnterpriseBlueResources"/>
              <script src="sc/skins/EnterpriseBlue/load_skin.js"/>

<entry-point class='com.touchcommerce.portal.client.Portal'/>

<source path="client"/>
          	<source path="gwt"/>
          	<source path="shared"/>
          </module>
          I do NOT see duplicate skin load. If there's ways to verify, I'm willing to try it.

And if this is not the recommended <inherits> please let me know how you would like me to change it.

Comment

Just so you know, I've also tried:

Code:
                <inherits name="com.smartgwtpro.SmartGwtProNoTheme"/>
                <inherits name="com.smartclient.theme.enterpriseblue.EnterpriseBlueResources"/>
                <script src="sc/skins/EnterpriseBlue/load_skin.js"/>
            as well as:

Code:
                <inherits name="com.smartgwtpro.SmartGwtProNoTheme"/>
                <inherits name="com.smartclient.theme.enterpriseblue.EnterpriseBlue"/>
            and heck just

Code:
                <inherits name="com.smartgwtpro.SmartGwtPro"/>
            None of it worked. So what now?

Comment

1. You mentioned you are using 2.5, but didn't give the full version (this is always required). You should *at least* upgrade to the latest patch build (see smartclient.com/builds). If you don't immediately do so, you should also plan to upgrade to 3.x soon. 2.5 pre-dates browsers that are becoming common

2. What's the path for the image that fails to load? Is it a path including "standard" as others have reported, or something else in your environment?

3. Have you actually used IE developer tools to look for more than one load_skin.js load? You seemed to be unclear on how this would be verified.

4. As far as those new <inherits>, has SmartClientProDefault when you tried these scenarios, or not?

Comment

1. The project uses Maven, it just specifies 2.5 and patch. We are nearing release, so upgrading/messing with version is not an option right now.
                2. Yes it's the same "standard"
                3. Yes I'm unclear that's why I keep asking HOW TO TELL??? That said, see below.
                4. No, that's it. Nothing before, only entry-point and source paths after. You would think that last attempt with only SmartGwtPro MUST work?!

While attempting to figure out duplicate load_skin.js in ie9, I looked at the Script tab in ie9 F12 Dev tool. I searched for all occurrences of "skin" and noticed this little gem:

Code:
                ,isc.A.setSkinDir=function isc_c_Page_setSkinDir(_1){
                this.$hk.SKIN=this.combineURLs(this.getAppDir(),_1!=null?_1:"[ISOMORPHIC]/skins/standard/");
                this.$hk.SKINIMG=this.$hk.SKIN+"images/";
                if(isc.Canvas)isc.Canvas.$ht=isc.Canvas.$hu=null
                }
                No where can I find "/skins" nor "enterprise" in the tab, nor other instances of "standard", that hard-coded line just doesn't seem right to me.

Comment

3. There are extensive tutorials available on how to use Firebug's "Net" tab or the "Network" tab in IE's Developer tools to see what files an app is loading. Please make use of these.

We're not following what you believe to be wrong with setSkinDir(). You seem to think something is hardcoded, but its not, that's just a default value if no skinDir is passed to the function.

Comment

The fact that an entire application can look fine except ONE place that has a broken link to an image isn't suspicious to you?

Please tell me how I can be doing multiple load_skin.js when the only thing in my gwt.xml is inherit SmartGwtPro?? And no I did not manually load load_skin.js.

Comment

Becoming argumentative won't help. Please verify with the appropriate tools that there are not multiple loads of load_skin.js.

Comment

Using <inherits name="com.smartgwtpro.SmartGwtPro"/> as my sole inherit:

I see 2 request header/calls of "GET /portal/portal/sc/skins/Enterprise/load_skin.js HTTP/1.1"

That said there were many instances loading images from "Enterprise/" while there was only one instance of "standard/" which is blank.gif.

Comment

So you do have duplicate skin loads after all. If you're really really sure there's no <script> tag for directly loading "load_skin.js" in your .html file, it's time to look further afield - maybe you have some JQuery logic lying around that's causing the extra load. You might also check whether you get duplicate loads in any other browser.

Also, you still haven't indicated your exact version. You need the latest patched version of 2.5. As stated earlier in this thread, there was a bugfix 9 months ago that you need. If you're unsure what you're running, you can check the version string in the lower left-hand of the Developer Console.

Comment

SmartClient Version: SC_SNAPSHOT-2011-08-02/Pro Deployment (built 2011-08-02)

Looks really old.
                            I manually changed nocache.js and moved load_skin.js up like post #29 suggested, and it seemed to have solved the issue. So like I said, this WAS a bug. :)

The problem now is figuring out if I can convince the manager to upgrade; as I said we are nearing a release and we just finished the first round of testing. This seems like the only glitch we found, and it CAN be fixed by manually including the blank.gif.

So here are my questions:
                            It looks like we are using some snapshot build pre-2.4??
                            It seems like we should upgrade to 2.4 and arguably to 2.5?
                            What do you suggest and how risky would this upgrade be, given that the manager wants to release ASAP? In other words, how do I convince him to upgrade and to what version?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

It's your decision, but some observations are:
                              - Releases older than 2.5 are unlikely to get any bug fixes
                              - Both 2.5 and 3.0 have been out for some time and, to that extent, have some proven stability
                              - 3.1 is the newest release with the latest features, but has not been out long, though it will receive any needed bug fix as soon as we discover an issue

If you have a complete set of regression tests that can be run on, say, 2.5, before your release, that might provide you with a level of certainty that everything is still working. Otherwise, I would say, make the minimal change to repair what has to be fixed for release, and then upgrade after your release, to 3.1 unless some major obstacle requires you to move forward only to 3.0 or 2.5.

Comment

Working...
                              X