Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Logging database operations

I am trying to log all writing-database operations: updates, inserts, delets, etc.
    How would it be the best possible way to do that?

Intercept all datasources and write a DMI method? a more "general" way ?
    Is there a "recommended" way to do this?

Using smartgwt 3.1p EE.

The simplest thing is probably a custom DataSource that subclasses whatever built-in DataSource you're using, then overrides execute() to do logging, then call super. See the QuickStart Guide, Custom DataSources section for details.

Comment

Is it possible that one datasource subclasses more than one datasource? I use in my applications more than one datasource, so I would have to subclass them all to add this functionality?

Comment

No, Java doesn't allow multiple subclassing.

It seems you'll probably have a maximum of two different subclasses to create, and they can call common code.

Comment

Why a maximum of two different subclasses?

If I have 10 datasources, I would have to write 10 subclasses, or what do I understand wrong?

Comment

There are only a handful of framework DataSources - SQLDataSource, HibernateDataSource, etc.

Whichever of these you are extending, make one subclass that contains your logging logic. Then have all your other custom DataSources use that class (serverConstructor attribute - see QuickStart), or extend from that class.

Comment

Working...
            X