Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Memory Management Clarification

Hi,

I am finding a small SmartGWT based application is gradually eating up the system memory, I first thought it has something to do with the code, but later on finding out I can actually reproduce the same behavior in Showcase. I would appreciate if anyone has any insight on how the memory management works in SmartGWT (or GWT?).
    I am using Google Chrome browser v5.0.375.126 and here is the step to reproduce the issue:

1. connect to Showcase application at http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwt/showcase, at this stage the memory usage according to Chrome Task Manager is around 40M
    2. Open up Live Grid sample, for example, at this stage memory usage is increased to around 50M
    4. Close the Live Grid sample Tab, at this stage I cannot notice significant change in memory usage
    5. repeat step 3 & 4 for 10 more times, the memory usage now increased to about 63M
    6. memory usage remains at around 63M forever, till I minimised the Chrome browser then the memory usage drops back to around 41M

The memory usage varies during different rounds of testing, but the key point here is the memory occupied by destroyed object doesn't seem to be released promptly after closing the tab, which I beleive also destroy the underlying components.
    My question is why the memory occupied by closed tab cannot be released by garbage collection mechanism till the browser is minimized, is this a bug or is this something can be rectified at coding level? Is there anyway for force the garbage collection to happen promptly?

Normal with any large, Ajax-based web application. That permanent base of memory is not really associated with the currently showing tabs in SmartGWT, what you're seeing is really the browser building up various caches and pools.

Comment

Working...
    X