No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Realtime Messaging - Can't establish a connection

SmartGWT 4.1d
    Firefox 10.0.4

I am evaluating upgrading from SmartGWT 3.0 to 4.1d, and GWT 2.4.0 to 2.6.0.

I updated the required jars, but I get an exception on the browser stating "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at https://.../myApp/sc/messaging..."

Is there anything that needs to be done for 4.1d realtime messaging?

It appears to hit the servlet when I increase the timeout (via Poster). But why does it take so long for it to return?

Comment

Firebug actually gives a 505 HTTP Version Not Supported error

Comment

Is there a limit on the length of subscribedChannels?

I have over 200+ channels.

I also noticed a successful GET which only contained 4 subscribedChannels.

Comment

This sounds like either:

1. The Messaging Servlet is not deployed at all - see Messaging overview

2. You have a lot of channels, and perhaps some large cookies, and this is exceeding the HTTP GET request combined limit for the URL and headers (which included cookies), which your server is misreporting as the wrong protocol version.

If the latter is the problem, you will need to either reduce the size of your cookies, or reduce the number of channels the client needs to subscribe to, presumably by creating consolidated channel names in the server so that the client can effectively subscribe to many channels at once using just one shorter identifier.

Comment

Assuming its 2), since it works with less channels, has there been a change to the limit in SmartGWT 4.1d from SmartGWT 3.0?

This used to work just fine in SmartGWT 3.0.

Comment

Nothing's changed - this isn't a limit we're in control of, and not a limit we're enforcing, it's your Servlet engine doing that.

So what may have actually changed is:

1. Your Servlet engine was also updated and now enforces this limit

2. Something about your deployment has added more or larger HTTP headers (including cookies) or a longer URL.

Comment

Using SmartGWT 4.1p now, but still seeing the same error in Firebug:

505 HTTP Version Not Supported error

One thing I notice is that the previous working version, 3.0p, sends POSTs whereas 4.1p sends GETs

Does this sound correct?

Comment

Whether we use GET or POST is now browser-dependent, to work around bugs in various browsers.

Again the causes to look at are in post #7 above.

Comment

Both my 3.1p and 4.1p applications are deployed on JBoss 6.2.0 EAP.

The only change made was to the ${smartgwt.version} property in our pom.xml

We verify using the same Firefox 10.0.4 browser on RHEL 6.

And the 3.1p sends POSTs and the 4.1p sends GETs.

I do compile for Firefox in my gwt.xml:

<set-property name="user.agent" value="gecko1_8" />

Is my 4.1p application being confused for a Chrome application?

Comment

No. Again, the fact that you see GET requests on some platforms is a correct and expected behavior. Please look into the possibilities in #7 above.

Comment

From what I'm reading POSTs have much higher limits than GETs, which might explain the problem.

Comment

Yes they do. However as you can easily see, we are not sending any significant data to the server, other than the URL and cookies, which we already covered in post #7.

Comment

Firebug lists the request as containing much more, specifically the "subscribedChannels", which in my case is quite large.

/messaging?ts=1397779861271&type=connect&connectionID=isc_HiddenFrame_109&subscribedChannels=...

Comment

Right, so:

2. You have a lot of channels, and perhaps some large cookies, and this is exceeding the HTTP GET request combined limit for the URL and headers (which included cookies), which your server is misreporting as the wrong protocol version.
                              Have you looked yet at whether your server has a limit on GET URLs, and whether you can change it?

Also just how big is the total amount of data?

Comment

Working...
                              X