Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Grails applications and the SGWT Power edition

Hi,

I am preparing to migrate a Grails application (about 30 domain classes, some inheritances) that so far basically uses the LGPL version of SGWT as it needs to be extended and I’d like to make use of advanced features of the power edition (automated client side constraint checking, field level security, automated fetching of associations to name the most important ones) . It mostly uses CRUD operations but also some customized GORM (Hibernate) queries and instance level security and translates domain objects/beans to DTOs (some of them are used on the client for operations (calculations etc.) that go beyond simple rendering).
    I was hoping for the smartgwt-grails plugin to ease this task (imo, the best place to put everything (e.g. validators, security descriptors) would be the domain class file) but somehow, development seems stalled and it does not work with the current Grails 2.x series.
    I’ve read the Quick start guide (especially on custom datasources) and wonder, what’s the best option in my case. Pure SQL datasources do not sound like a good idea as all the existing more complex GORM queries/save/update logic would need to be rewritten in plain SQL. In addition, the security layer uses Hibernate filters and formulas to implement instance level security which basically also affects all domain objects/beans/data sources with CRUD operations.
    My idea was to use Hibernate DS (using hbm-files to define the SGWT datasources) as these could be generated from the Grails application but I am unsure what steps still need to be done manually and what are automated. Maybe DMI datasources are an event better option.

Thanks & regards,
    fatzopilot

There's really no way to say where SQLDataSource, HibernateDataSource or just DMI is the best target without a detailed review of the code.

As a general tip, consider that many people moving over to SmartGWT SQL or Hibernate DataSources initially think there's a great deal of Hibernate logic they need to preserve, whereas the reality is often that almost all of it can be deleted; the behavior is either automatic, gets replaced by simple declarations, or can be implemented in an improved form that's simpler and better.

Comment

So am I right with my assumption that Isomorphic lost interest in maintaining the Grails plugin and there will be no fixed release (that works with the 2.x branch) within the next two month or so?
      Any plans to open source it so that it can be maintained by the community?

Comment

We haven't lost interest in the overall concept, but there's been little community / customer interest, so it's not receiving as much attention as it otherwise might. It's something we will most likely return to after 3.1.

Comment

Any updates on this and http://forums.smartclient.com/showthread.php?t=20142 ?

Comment

Working...
          X