Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Server-side session timeout

I would like to be able to detect when the user has not interacted with the server for a period.
    The normal session timeout will not work for me because the client has a timer that periodically checks something on the server.

I tried creating a custom datasource by extending SQLDataDource and adding serverConstructor into the .ds.xml files. This was OK except when there was also serverObject custom DMI class. I don't really want to add custom code to each DMI.
    I did see some reference to EventPreview in the client side, but it was unclear how exactly to implement this.

SmartClient Version: v9.0p_2013-10-17/PowerEdition Deployment (built 2013-10-17)

smartgwt-power-4.0-p20131017.jar

Could you rephrase your question? What is the purpose of this custom DataSource, are you planning to use it to store session timeout information?

Comment

As stated in the first sentence, I would like to be able to detect inactivity from the client [in order to force re-authentication after a period].

The custom datasource was a means by which I could intercept a client request in order to record the activity for a session.

Comment

A Custom DataSource would give you the ability to track every time a user performs an operation on a DataSource. This article shows using this to build a crude version of the built-in Auditing feature.

However, this would not necessary capture *all* of the activity that should avoid session timeout. Some other kinds of activity that would be missed would include images fetches, non-DataSource RPCs including builtinRPCs, and anything where you've built a custom servlet to handle a request and not used any DataSources.

We'd recommend one of the following approaches instead:

1. see if you can configure your authentication system to ignore certain requests for the purpose of session timeouts

OR

2. implement a servlet Filter that covers every URL, so you can detect a hit to any URL on the server regardless of whether DataSources are involved or not, and just ignore the Messaging-related requests.

Comment

Working...
        X