Go Back   SmartClient Forums > Technical Q&A
Wiki Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st Aug 2011, 01:29
Registered Developer

Default Progressive loading - how to

Hi there,

I'm creating this thread hoping to aggregate info on this in one place. Information regarding this issue is scattered all over the forum but there is no single thread which says how to do it while retaining functionality available in SqlDataSource (sorting, filtering etc)

Client side documentation regarding ResultSet states that there is nothing to be done clientside to implement this. You just have to return totalRows > endRow on the server.

What if I want to use SQLDataSource and all its built in functionality (no custom queries etc.) but skip the phase where SQLDataSource sets totalRows on response. I know SQLDataSource may compute this value in many ways (resultSet scroll, LIMIT statement etc.) depending on database, driver etc.

Is there any way I can disable built in counting and provide totalRows computed manually?

lkc
Old 4th Aug 2011, 03:49
Registered Developer

Use the attribute "skipRowCount" on the operationBinding like here:
Code:
<operationBinding operationType="fetch" serverMethod="fetch" skipRowCount="true" >
And set manually the total rows in the DMI fetch operation like here:
Code:
        // in case the total rows was not calculated because a count sql was not performed
        // we use the "progressive" loading approach
        dsResponse.setTotalRows(
                dsResponse.getEndRow() < dsRequest.getEndRow() ? // actual response contains more or less rows then requested ? 
                dsResponse.getEndRow()  // less rows
                :  dsRequest.getEndRow() + 2*(dsRequest.getEndRow() - dsRequest.getStartRow()) // more or equal number of rows - then return the actual number of rows plus 2 size of the page
                );
Old 4th Apr 2012, 07:26
Registered Developer

SC_SNAPSHOT-2012-03-20_v8.2p/PowerEdition

I'm trying this exact approach, but in the server logs there's this INFO:
Code:
=== 2012-04-04 17:22:46,922 [c-64] INFO  SQLDataSource - [builtinApplication.SERVIZI_fetch] Skipping row count query - Row count will be obtained by traversing the entire dataset
and actually it traverse the entire dataset. Why? I've also disabled sorting on the grid.
Old 4th Apr 2012, 07:30
Administrator

progressiveLoading is now built in - see operationBinding.progessiveLoading.
Old 4th Apr 2012, 23:22
Registered Developer

I see it's a 8.3d feature...I'll try it.
I want to use it as a workaround for this problem I have with distinct http://forums.smartclient.com/showthread.php?t=17947
where the select count(*) returns a number of rows which is different from the actual select distinct
Old 5th Apr 2012, 05:53
Registered Developer

found a bug which blocks me migrating to 8.3:
http://forums.smartclient.com/showpost.php?p=84237&postcount=1