Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

SmartGWT 3.x development requirements

What kind of Windows setup are you using if you are on SmartGWT 3.x?

Is there anyone using Java7 with a modern IDE and SmartGWT 3.x on Windows XP with 4 gig of ram?

I'm wondering if my configuration is not correct because when in debug mode, everything is very slow. I'm wondering if I need to go to a 64 bit Windows version to increase ram?

You've described perhaps the most common development setup. It is normally fast, no special settings required. However if you are using Chrome development mode, see the FAQ.

Comment

Hi JLivermore,

please note that Development Mode (I think that is what you mean by debug mode), is way slower for everyone. The Quick Start Guide mentions one order of magnitude as performance difference.

For me the start of my (I think small) http://localhost:8080/myproj/?gwt.co...127.0.0.1:9997 (=Development mode) takes ~20sec, while the start of the compiled and deployed and cached version takes ~2sec.

As note: In order to use Java7 language features (e.g. String switching) in your code, as of today you'll have to use GWT 2.6 RCs. Otherwise (when using <=2.5.1) change your compatibility level to 1.6 in order to see compile time errors already in Eclipse.

Best regards,
      Blama

Comment

Thank you for the feedback.

Comment

Put your IDE & project on an SSD. It makes a huge difference.

Comment

Working...
          X