Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Return values from sql code

I have sql code, which I need to be called directly, so I have a <customSQL> with the MSSQL code.

This code consists of updates, inserts, and I need the results, so at the end of the code I have a select.

But I cannot access the values returned from this select from the outside, i.e. from a server-side DMI method.

A very simplified version of the code:
    Code:
    update mytable set f=2;
    select name from anotherTable;
    If my operationBinding is of type "fetch" (becauseo of the select statement), then I get an exception:

Code:
    === 2014-12-29 18:35:28,768 [ec-2] DEBUG DataSourceDMI - Invocation threw exception
    com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The statement did not return a result set.
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDriverError(SQLServerException.java:190)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.doExecuteStatement(SQLServerStatement.java:800)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement$StmtExecCmd.doExecute(SQLServerStatement.java:689)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:5696)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:1715)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeCommand(SQLServerStatement.java:180)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeStatement(SQLServerStatement.java:155)
    	at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeQuery(SQLServerStatement.java:616)
    	at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingStatement.java:208)
    	at com.isomorphic.sql.SQLDriver.getTransformedResults(SQLDriver.java:671)
    	at com.isomorphic.sql.SQLDriver.executeQuery(SQLDriver.java:985)
    	at com.isomorphic.sql.SQLDataSource.executeNativeQuery(SQLDataSource.java:563)
    	at com.isomorphic.sql.SQLDataSource.executeNativeQuery(SQLDataSource.java:557)
    	at com.isomorphic.sql.SQLDataSource.SQLExecute(SQLDataSource.java:1911)
    	at com.isomorphic.sql.SQLDataSource.processRequest(SQLDataSource.java:448)
    	at com.isomorphic.sql.SQLDataSource.executeFetch(SQLDataSource.java:393)
    	at de.mks_infofabrik.kids.server.KidsDataSource.executeFetch(KidsDataSource.java:109)
    	at com.isomorphic.datasource.DataSource.execute(DataSource.java:1582)
    	at com.isomorphic.application.AppBase.executeDefaultDSOperation(AppBase.java:723)
    	at com.isomorphic.application.AppBase.executeAppOperation(AppBase.java:658)
    	at com.isomorphic.application.AppBase.execute(AppBase.java:491)
    	at com.isomorphic.datasource.DSRequest.execute(DSRequest.java:2535)
    	at de.mks_infofabrik.kids.server.dmi.mehrfachActionHandler.MehrfachStatusAendernHandler.doHandle(MehrfachStatusAendernHandler.java:217)
    	at de.mks_infofabrik.kids.server.dmi.mehrfachActionHandler.GruppeHandler.handle(GruppeHandler.java:76)
    	at de.mks_infofabrik.kids.server.dmi.SchuelerListDMIHandler.doFetch(SchuelerListDMIHandler.java:140)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    	at com.isomorphic.base.Reflection.adaptArgsAndInvoke(Reflection.java:975)
    	at com.isomorphic.datasource.DataSourceDMI.execute(DataSourceDMI.java:416)
    	at com.isomorphic.datasource.DataSourceDMI.execute(DataSourceDMI.java:64)
    	at com.isomorphic.datasource.DSRequest.execute(DSRequest.java:2531)
    	at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.handleDSRequest(IDACall.java:215)
    	at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.processRPCTransaction(IDACall.java:172)
    	at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.processRequest(IDACall.java:137)
    	at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.doPost(IDACall.java:73)
    	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:644)
    	at com.isomorphic.servlet.BaseServlet.service(BaseServlet.java:152)
    	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:725)
    	at com.google.inject.servlet.ServletDefinition.doService(ServletDefinition.java:263)
    	at com.google.inject.servlet.ServletDefinition.service(ServletDefinition.java:178)
    	at com.google.inject.servlet.ManagedServletPipeline.service(ManagedServletPipeline.java:91)
    	at com.google.inject.servlet.FilterChainInvocation.doFilter(FilterChainInvocation.java:62)
    	at de.mks_infofabrik.kids.server.filter.GWTCacheControlFilter.doFilter(GWTCacheControlFilter.java:50)
    	at com.google.inject.servlet.FilterDefinition.doFilter(FilterDefinition.java:163)
    	at com.google.inject.servlet.FilterChainInvocation.doFilter(FilterChainInvocation.java:58)
    	at com.isomorphic.servlet.CompressionFilter.doFilter(CompressionFilter.java:260)
    	at com.google.inject.servlet.FilterDefinition.doFilter(FilterDefinition.java:163)
    	at com.google.inject.servlet.FilterChainInvocation.doFilter(FilterChainInvocation.java:58)
    	at com.google.inject.servlet.ManagedFilterPipeline.dispatch(ManagedFilterPipeline.java:118)
    	at com.google.inject.servlet.GuiceFilter.doFilter(GuiceFilter.java:113)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:239)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:219)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:106)
    	at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:503)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:136)
    	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)
    	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:610)
    	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88)
    	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:526)
    	at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1078)
    	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:655)
    	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11NioProtocol.java:222)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1566)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1523)
    	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
    	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    If I delete the "update mytable set f=2;", then I do not get any exception and everything works. I think, because in a "fetch" operationBinding it is not possible to execute an update.

So I changed the type to "update", and now I don't get any exception, but I am not able to access the result of the select statement. In my DMI I write:
    Code:
    LOG.info("Result: " + changeResponse.getData());
    But I get:
    Code:
    Result: null
    So can I access these records ?

Using SmartGWT 4.1p, v9.1p_2014-11-09, 2014-11-09 power.
    Last edited by edulid; 29 Dec 2014, 10:27.

Take a look at the advice on Stored Procedures from the Custom Querying overview - it applies to this case even though your procedure is technically just inlined instead of stored per se.

In a nutshell if you want to process the result of this procedure using our standard SQL operations, it needs to be returned in the form of a ResultSet. How to make this happen is a matter of figuring out the behavior from MSSQL and their JDBC driver.

Comment

I have a select at the end of the code block, and when I execute the code block I see the results, so the code should return a resultset, or ? What should I change here ?

Comment

We agree that one might expect MSSQL to return a ResultSet in this case - seems like the right behavior. Unfortunately, your finding is that it doesn't, and we don't have any control over that - this behavior is controlled by the MSSQL JDBC driver.

We already document the specific JDBC APIs we're calling, so if you find a way to get those APIs to return a ResultSet, then you'll be all set.

Comment

Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
          We already document the specific JDBC APIs we're calling, so if you find a way to get those APIs to return a ResultSet, then you'll be all set.
          ok, and even if this is not controlled by smartgwt, don't you know a way to produce a resultSet from this scenario in order to comply with the jdbc driver?
          What would be your approach if you had this problem?

Comment

Is it even possible to produce a resultSet from an operation of type="update"? can't it be the case that the select is already producing a resultSet but it is being ignored because the type of the operationBinding is "update" and not "fetch" ?

Comment

No, we don't have intimate knowledge of MSSQL's JDBC driver in the area of procedures. Like you, we would be doing web searches like "mssql procedure return jdbc resultset" and variants.

Comment

You do indeed need to be using operationType="fetch" if you trying to return a ResultSet and have it processed. Again the JDBC APIs we're calling for "fetch" vs "update" are documented, and the JDBC API does not allow a ResultSet to be returned when you are performing updates.

Comment

I think this does the trick (for anyone interested): "set nocount on;". The number of records of the update/inserts is then ignored.

Comment

Thanks for posting the solution!

Just to clarify, where does that line go? Can you just put it at the beginning of a multi-line statement in a <customSQL> tag?

Comment

Yes, I now have, as you pointed, a "fetch" operation instead of an "update" operation. I put "set nocount on;" at the beginning of the multi-line statement in the <customSQL> tag, and "set nocount off;" just before the select statement. Maybe you can also put it after the select statement, I haven't tried that.

Comment

Working...
                      X