Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

SmartGWT on Google App Engine (Java)

I just tried publishing a SmartGWT application to the Google App Engine. The code was literally as simple as:

Code:
    SC.say("Hello world!");
    Unfortunately, I was met with the following status messages:

Code:
    Uploading 2594 files.
    Rolling back the update.
    Unable to upload:
    java.io.IOException: Error posting to URL: ...
    400 Bad Request
    Max number of files and blobs is 1000.
    Is there any word on when we might expect SmartGWT to utilise GWT Image Bundle functionality as this would most probably solve the above issue?

Thanks,

Damian

This post might help.

Comment

SmartGWT on Google App Engine (Java)

Thank you for your reply.

The solution detailed in the post you linked to is for applications hosted using the Google App Engine Python container. There does not seem to be an equivalent "zipserve" class provided for the Java container (yet).

Last year it seemed that Image Bundles were high priority for SmartGWT:

http://www.jroller.com/sjivan/entry/smartgwt_1_0_released

However, there is no Roadmap linked to from the main SmartGWT website or these forums.
      Last edited by netyaroze; 8 Apr 2009, 14:21.

Comment

Hello Isomorphic,

I have the same problem. I develop application with SmartGWT as front-end and Python GAE as back-end. I use zipserve as workarround of 1000 files limit. Now we have opportunity to deploy application on Java GAE. I would like to port my back-end to Java.

What plans have you got regarding "Other improvements such as use of ImageBundle are also high on our priority list."?

Thanks.

Comment

I can't say nothing else than : "smartgwt and app engine compatibility is mandatory please !!"

I'm so excited to put my smartgwt-based web app on this app engine (java) !!

I hope that Iso and Sanjiv put a high priority on that point

Regards

Comment

Fingers crossed

Glad to see I'm not the only person who is keen on moving SmartGWT to Google App Engine (Java)!

Hopefully Isomorphic / Sanjiv will be able to chime in soon to let us know when we can expect this to become a reality :-)

Comment

An interim solution would be for the folks at SmartClient to host the SmartGWT images and css on a CDN so that we don't have to upload all those files to GAE

Comment

Hi Guys,

The easy solution is to use S3 to host all the media. It's very straightforward to set up.

If someone instead wants to trim the prune the runtime files, or perhaps provide an Ant script that does so, we'd be happy to post that here and/or make the thread sticky.

Image combining (not necessary based on ImageBundle) is coming, but we need to get 7.0 final out first.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion regarding S3 - I'll check it out :-) Do you have any timeline around 7.0 final and - ultimately - image combining?

Comment

sorry but what is S3 ?

Regards

Comment

First result from Google-ing "S3": https://s3.amazonaws.com/

Comment

And how to set smartgwt to look for static files on another url?

Comment

Yes, I would like to know this too - please anybody more experienced for help

Comment

Inherit SmartGwtNoScript. Then can add the following to your host html file.

<script>
                            var isomorphicDir = "http://<path to static files>/sc/";
                            </script>

where the "/sc/ path contains the appropriate js and skin resources which are outputted during a regular compile.

Comment

I had to inherit not only SmartGwtNoScript but:
                              Code:
                              	<inherits name='com.smartgwt.SmartGwtNoScript'/>  
                              	<inherits name="com.smartclient.SmartClientDefault"/> 
                               	<inherits name="com.smartclient.theme.enterprise.Enterprise"/>
                              then sc directory was copied to s3 (it cost me 0.08$ :)

then I have hanged my host html file :

Code:
                               <script>var isomorphicDir = 'http://lazinskip.intuicja.com.pl.s3.amazonaws.com/sc/'</script>
                              then I comment inherits for enterprise shema and compiled whole project (in result I have no skins directory)
                              to run application I have uncommented inherits for enterprice shema
                              and it worked with s3 in hosted mode. But Google Eclipse Plugin during deploying on appengine compiles whole project again so skin directory was created again and deployment failes because 1000 files limit. Has anybody idea how to workaround this ?

Comment

Working...
                              X