Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Trying to deploy SmartGWT EE and use Visual Builder

Hi,

I am road-testing SmartGWT EE. I have the nightly build from Feb. 17th, as I have a GWT 2.0 project I am integrating it into.

I have copied in all the .jars into the WEB-INF/lib directory, and merged in the jsp-config section:

<jsp-config>
    <!-- Isomorphic JSP tags -->
    <taglib>
    <taglib-uri>isomorphic</taglib-uri>
    <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/iscTaglib.xml</taglib-location>
    </taglib>
    </jsp-config>

I also copied the iscTaglib.xml into WEB-INF, then recompiled the whole thing with the GWT compiler.

My example page has an IButton that is just supposed to launch Visual Builder with the following command:

com.smartgwtee.tools.client.SCEE.openVisualBuilder();

The button shows up, but when I click it I get:

/example/tools/visualBuilder/index.jsp(15,0) Unable to load tag handler class "com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadISCTag" for tag "isomorphic:loadISC"

RequestURI=/example/tools/visualBuilder/index.jsp
    Caused by:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /example/tools/visualBuilder/index.jsp(15,0) Unable to load tag handler class "com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadISCTag" for tag "isomorphic:loadISC"
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:39)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:409)
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:200)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Although you say you "copied in all the .jars" and show apparently correct changes for jsp-config this is a very telltale error for missing .jars or missing jsp-config. Make sure the files you're editing are really the active ones (eg introduce a syntax error) and that the .jars are actually being included in the deployment.

You can also try just importing one of the sample projects (where VB works) and comparing your config to that project.

Comment

Thanks. It seems a web server restart cured that problem.

I'm now encountering another problem when trying to run Visual Builder:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Unable to locate file for ID: adminConsole
      at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadAppTag.outputJS(LoadAppTag.java:72)
      at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadAppTag.doStartTag(LoadAppTag.java:59)

Caused by:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Unable to locate file for ID: adminConsole
      at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadAppTag.outputJS(LoadAppTag.java:72)
      at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadAppTag.doStartTag(LoadAppTag.java:59)
      at org.apache.jsp.example.tools.visualBuilder.index_jsp._jspx_meth_isomorphic_loadApp_0(index_jsp.java:196)
      at org.apache.jsp.example.tools.visualBuilder.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:99)

My module name is Example. What does 'tools' in this URI refer to, and how does it find the appropriate resources?

It does seem to be finding the jsps now. What am I missing?

Thanks

Comment

OK, got past that. I was just missing server.properties.

I am now seeing:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadSystemSchemaTag.getFrameworkDataSources(LoadSystemSchemaTag.java:74)
        at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadSystemSchemaTag.loadFrameworkDataSources(LoadSystemSchemaTag.java:100)
        at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadSystemSchemaTag.doStartTag(LoadSystemSchemaTag.java:54)

Caused by:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadSystemSchemaTag.getFrameworkDataSources(LoadSystemSchemaTag.java:74)
        at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadSystemSchemaTag.loadFrameworkDataSources(LoadSystemSchemaTag.java:100)
        at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadSystemSchemaTag.doStartTag(LoadSystemSchemaTag.java:54)
        at org.apache.jsp.example.tools.visualBuilder.index_jsp._jspx_meth_isomorphic_loadSystemSchema_0(index_jsp.java:211)

Comment

Oh and BTW, I can't get VB to come up in the Showcase app either.

I have this deployed locally in GWT development mode running on Firefox, and clicking the VB button just results in an empty tab coming up. The URL in the tab is:

http://127.0.0.1:8888/showcase/tools/visualBuilder/index.jsp?moduleName=showcase

Other tools can be run, like the admin console.

Thanks

Comment

Did you import the GWT modules listed in the FAQ item for how to launch Visual Builder?

Comment

I have:

<inherits name='com.google.gwt.user.User'/>
              <inherits name='com.smartgwt.SmartGwt' />
              <inherits name='com.smartgwt.tools.SmartGwtTools' />
              <inherits name='com.smartgwtee.tools.Tools' />

which I think is all of them.

Any reason why VB wouldn't work from Showcase though? A view source on the page reveals plenty of code, but the page just stays gray and nothing happens. Same in both FireFox and Chrome.

Thanks

Comment

Import smartgwtee not SmartGWT. Once again, see the FAQ.

Comment

I am importing smartgwtee, as you can see above.

I am giving up on launching it from my app for now. I would like to be able to use VB from the showcase app though. Any idea why it would just show a gray screen when launched from there? (The title appears!).

Thanks

Comment

No, you aren't. Once again, your imports differ from all the sample projects. Do not import com.smartgwt.SmartGwt, import com.smartgwtee.SmartGWTEE.

Really, start from a sample project and you can't miss.

Don't try running VB from the Showcase, that's a specialized environment. Future releases will cripple VB within the Showcase since it's designed for public deployment. Run it from your project.

Comment

OK. I changed the import (the case in your post was incorrect), and got past that problem.

I am now back at the point of:

java.lang.NullPointerException

Caused by:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: java.lang.NullPointerException

Help!

Thanks

Comment

This is either missing servlets (didn't include the required Init servlet) or missing .jars (no isomorphic_core_rpc.jar).

Comment

Both of those things are there, so I'm giving up and going back to non-EE SmartGWT, i.e. just using the widgets and GWT-RPC for communication. It seems far too brittle and poorly documented (i.e. just samples, a FAQ and a VERY minimal user guide) for time-critical development, such as I have on my plate at the moment.

Comment

Sorry, that's ridiculous. There are working sample projects for each of the most common scenarios which you simply need to copy. You made a series of errors involving not matching GWT imports or not copying files from the sample project and whatever is wrong now is another such error, probably a bad setting in server.properties, or a bad classpath entry, or similar.

The product is not "brittle". If you remove required resources from any software it will break.

The FAQ is not the documentation, it *points to* the documentation, which contains scores of chapters.

Don't use it if you don't want to, but baseless, factually incorrect criticism is not welcome.

Comment

Actually, no criticism is welcome. You guys don't want to take the time to make proper documentation for brand new users, stating (among other things):

- the main admin tools don't produce workable code, they are only for non-technical users to produce rich prototypes
                              - they have to be run from within a project, which kind of defeats the purpose for first-time users (i.e. they are not standalone applications)
                              - they just plain don't work from the showcase sample. Oh and BTW even if they do, you shouldn't use them from there because that's a "specialized environment".

I found out all these things the hard way, and wasted a day in the process.

You create something that is (IMO) not enterprise-ready, and then get upset when somebody criticizes it, calling the criticism baseless. I mean, you couldn't even save files from VB, until a patch was issued. Imagine if Microsoft put out a product like that. And you expect enterprises are going to adopt this thing?

I haven't given up on it, but am just going to use the widgets (for now at least).

Comment

Working...
                              X