Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Again a series of basic factual errors. If you could stop wasting our time having to correct you, we could get back to the many enhancements that are planned.

Constructive feedback is welcome as anyone can clearly see. Throughout this forum are bugs being filed and addressed, features being added for specific use cases and design discussions. Factually incorrect statements, however, are not welcome.

SmartGWT Pro/EE is already broadly deployed across the Global 2000 in many mission critical roles. To claim it is not "enterprise-ready" is just speaking from ignorance.

The intended use of Visual Builder and how to set it up is documented in the FAQ, and sample projects are provided that you can simply import into Eclipse in one step. We don't know what's wrong with your project, but given that we had to correct basic errors on your part, it's very unlikely you've discovered some kind of issue with the product. If you want to fix it, look into the causes noted in the last post.

Comment

PWC6032: Unable to load tag handler class "com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadISCTag"

Originally posted by andrewbee
      My example page has an IButton that is just supposed to launch Visual Builder with the following command:

com.smartgwtee.tools.client.SCEE.openVisualBuilder();

The button shows up, but when I click it I get:

/example/tools/visualBuilder/index.jsp(15,0) Unable to load tag handler class "com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadISCTag" for tag "isomorphic:loadISC"
      I am also getting the exact same error message, as reported in this thread:

http://forums.smartclient.com/showthread.php?t=9906

+++

This occurred when following the instructions in section 'Launching Visual Builder' in the SmartGWT FAQ here:

http://forums.smartclient.com/showthread.php?t=8159#aVisualBuilder

which specifies performing only the following two steps (a) and (b):

(a) inheriting modules com.smartgwtee.SmartGwtEE and com.smartgwtee.tools.Tools so that Main.gwt.xml now reads:

Code:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE module PUBLIC "-//Google Inc.//DTD Google Web Toolkit 1.7.0//EN" "http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/tags/1.7.0/distro-source/core/src/gwt-module.dtd">

<module>
          <inherits name="com.google.gwt.user.User"/>

<inherits name="com.smartgwtee.SmartGwtEE"/>
          <inherits name="com.smartgwtee.tools.Tools"/>

<entry-point class="org.yournamehere.client.MainEntryPoint"/>
      </module>
      ...and...

(b) instantiating a button in method OnModuleLoad in class MainEntryPoint to call method com.smartgwtee.tools.client.SCEE.openVisualBuilder() so that the resulting file MainEntryPoint.java (adapted from the default MainEntryPoint.java class generated by NetBeans 6.8 for a new Web Application project) now reads:

Code:
      package org.yournamehere.client;

import com.google.gwt.core.client.EntryPoint;
      import com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.Button;
      import com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.Label;
      import com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.RootPanel;
      import com.google.gwt.event.dom.client.ClickEvent;
      import com.google.gwt.event.dom.client.ClickHandler;

public class MainEntryPoint implements EntryPoint {
          public MainEntryPoint() {
          }
          public void onModuleLoad() {
              final Label label = new Label("Hello, GWT!!!");
              final Button ckbutton = new Button("Click me!");
              final Button vbButton = new Button("VisualBuilder");

ckbutton.addClickHandler(new ClickHandler() {
                  public void onClick(ClickEvent event) {
                      label.setVisible(!label.isVisible());
                  }
              });

vbButton.addClickHandler(new ClickHandler() {
                  public void onClick(ClickEvent event) {
                      com.smartgwtee.tools.client.SCEE.openVisualBuilder();
                  }
              });

RootPanel.get().add(ckbutton);
              RootPanel.get().add(label);
              RootPanel.get().add(vbButton);
          }
      }
      (Note that the actual code shown above, for SmartGWT 2.0, has had to be slightly adapted in order to compile, compared to the code published by Isomorphic in the section 'Launching Visual Builder' in the SmartGWT FAQ. Specifically, the SmartGWT FAQ adds an 'IButton' and uses a 'draw' method to display it on the GWT RootPanel. However, this does not compile using the imports in file MainEntryPoint.java in the default Web Application project generated by NetBeans 6.8 with the GWT4NB plug-in installed. Instead, it is necessary to use a 'Button' and an 'add' method so that class MainEntryPoint will compile.)

+++

In addition to steps (a) and (b) above specified in the 'Launching Visual Builder' section of the SmartGWT FAQ, I have now also done the two additional steps andrewbee reported doing:

(c) adding a <jsp-config> section (to file myApp/WEB-INF/web.xml), and

(d) copying file iscTaglib.xml into directory myApp/WEB-INF

(c)
      I ... merged in the jsp-config section:

<jsp-config>
      <!-- Isomorphic JSP tags -->
      <taglib>
      <taglib-uri>isomorphic</taglib-uri>
      <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/iscTaglib.xml</taglib-location>
      </taglib>
      </jsp-config>
      (I assume the file you're inserting this text into was myApp/web/WEB-INF/web.xml so this is where I also inserted it.)

Note: I did *not* do the step below:

...have copied in all the .jars into the WEB-INF/lib directory, and...
      because during the build NetBeans copied the jars:

gwt-servlet.jar
      smartgwt.jar
      smartgwtee.jar
      smartgwt-skins.jar

into directory myApp/build/web/WEB-INF/lib.

(d)
      I also copied the iscTaglib.xml into WEB-INF, then recompiled the whole thing with the GWT compiler.
      I also tried

(e) restarting the GlassFish server

to see if that would help.

However, when clicking on the button 'VisualBuilder' on the main page, the error page mentioned at the start of this post still appears.

+++

By the way - I am curious where andrewbee found out about the need to perform steps (c) and (d)? Now that I'm hearing about them, these steps certainly do sound necessary - but I see no mention of them in the section 'Launching Visual Builder' of the SmartGWT FAQ linked to above:

http://forums.smartclient.com/showthread.php?t=8159#aVisualBuilder

Thanks for any help!

Comment

Hmm... this sounds interesting

Originally posted by Isomorphic
        This is either missing servlets (didn't include the required Init servlet) or missing .jars (no isomorphic_core_rpc.jar).
        Thank you.

This has led me to suspect that the test project which I have been working on for the last couple of days (trying to add the Visual Builder to a SmartGWT EE 2.0 Hello World web application project in NetBeans 6.8 on WinXP) is also missing the Init servlet and/or the JAR isomorphic_core_rpc.jar.

+++

To check if I have the JAR isomorphic_core_rpc.jar in my web app, I just did a DOS 'tree' command with the '/F' option on the folder containing my NetBeans 6.8 Web Application project 'HelloVisualBuilder001' like so:

C:\usr\nb\HelloVisualBuilder001>c:\windows\system32\tree /F

and then I copied the output to a text file and did a search for the string "isomorphic_core_rpc.jar" - and nothing was found. So I'm pretty sure I'm missing this JAR in my project.

+++

I'm not sure how I can check whether the Init servlet is included in my project. Is this the name of a file? Where can I find it, and where should I put it? Should I simply copy it into on of the directories in my project, or does it also have to be mentioned in one of the project's configuration files?

+++

The JAR isomorphic_core_rpc.jar and the Init servlet are not mentioned in the section 'Launching Visual Builder' in the SmartGWT FAQ here:

http://forums.smartclient.com/showth...aVisualBuilder

Thank you for any help.
        Last edited by stefanscottalexx; 25 Feb 2010, 17:51.

Comment

isomorphic_core_rpc.jar is in the top-level "lib" directory of the SmartGWT EE distribution. All of the sample projects have READMEs that indicate that these .jars need to be in your classpath.

For the Init servlet and for web.xml in general, look at the web.xml files in the sample projects - they all include it.

In general, find the closest sample project and copy everything in it. Don't grab resources one by one. If anything, once you understand the system, eliminate resources you know you don't need.

Comment

If anyone is still having trouble with installation, the FAQ and docs now explicitly all of the resources that you must copy from the sample project, and what adjustments need to be made (eg, replace the module name of the sample with your GWT module name).

Comment

Hi

I am using version 2.3. I imported a sample project BuiltInDS and did everything as per readme.txt. The app cam up nicely.
              Then i added a button for visual builder and when i click that i get the below error.
              I see that iscTaglib.xml is in the WEB-INF folder

=== 2010-10-14 23:42:15,526 [0-25] ERROR LoadSystemSchemaTag - Exception while attempting to process a loadSystemSchema tag.
              java.lang.NullPointerException
              at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadSystemSchemaTag.getFrameworkDataSources(LoadSystemSchemaTag.java:74)
              at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadSystemSchemaTag.loadFrameworkDataSources(LoadSystemSchemaTag.java:100)
              at com.isomorphic.taglib.LoadSystemSchemaTag.doStartTag(LoadSystemSchemaTag.java:54)
              at org.apache.jsp.builtinds.tools.visualBuilder.index_jsp._jspx_meth_isomorphic_loadSystemSchema_0(index_jsp.java:181)
              at org.apache.jsp.builtinds.tools.visualBuilder.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:111)
              at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)
              at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
              at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:324)
              at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
              at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
              at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1097)
              at com.isomorphic.servlet.CompressionFilter.doFilter(CompressionFilter.java:259)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1088)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:729)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RequestLogHandler.handle(RequestLogHandler.java:49)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:829)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:513)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
              at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
              at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
              at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)
              [WARN] /builtinds/tools/visualBuilder/index.jsp

Comment

Hi,

I am evaluating smartgwtee 2.4.
                I have imported ds-gae sample app into Eclipse and it worked fine.
                Then I have attempted to add Visual Builder to this app.
                I have followed steps from FAQ. When I hit VisualBuilder button I have the following error

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /GAEDS_js/tools/visualBuilder/index.jsp. Reason:

Unable to compile class for JSP:

An error occurred at line: 7 in the generated java file
                [javac] /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8888_war____masbuh/jsp/org/apache/jsp/GAEDS_005fjs/tools/visualBuilder/index_jsp.java:7: org.apache.jsp.GAEDS_005fjs.tools.visualBuilder.index_jsp is not abstract and does not override abstract method getDependants() in org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspSourceDependent
                [javac] public final class index_jsp extends org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase
                [javac] ^

An error occurred at line: 27 in the generated java file
                [javac] /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8888_war____masbuh/jsp/org/apache/jsp/GAEDS_005fjs/tools/visualBuilder/index_jsp.java:27: getDependants() in org.apache.jsp.GAEDS_005fjs.tools.visualBuilder.index_jsp cannot implement getDependants() in org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspSourceDependent; attempting to use incompatible return type
                [javac] found : java.lang.Object
                [javac] required: java.util.List
                [javac] public Object getDependants() {
                [javac] ^

An error occurred at line: 36 in the generated java file
                [javac] /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8888_war____masbuh/jsp/org/apache/jsp/GAEDS_005fjs/tools/visualBuilder/index_jsp.java:36: cannot find symbol
                [javac] symbol : method getJspApplicationContext(javax.servlet.ServletContext)
                [javac] location: class javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory
                [javac] _el_expressionfactory = _jspxFactory.getJspApplicationContext(getServletConfig().getServletContext()).getExpressionFactory();
                [javac] ^
                [javac] Note: /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8888_war____masbuh/jsp/org/apache/jsp/GAEDS_005fjs/tools/visualBuilder/index_jsp.java uses unchecked or unsafe operations.

An error occurred at line: -1 in the generated java file
                [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
                [javac] 3 errors

Stacktrace:

Caused by:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:

An error occurred at line: 7 in the generated java file
                [javac] /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8888_war____masbuh/jsp/org/apache/jsp/GAEDS_005fjs/tools/visualBuilder/index_jsp.java:7: org.apache.jsp.GAEDS_005fjs.tools.visualBuilder.index_jsp is not abstract and does not override abstract method getDependants() in org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspSourceDependent
                [javac] public final class index_jsp extends org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase
                [javac] ^

An error occurred at line: 27 in the generated java file
                [javac] /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8888_war____masbuh/jsp/org/apache/jsp/GAEDS_005fjs/tools/visualBuilder/index_jsp.java:27: getDependants() in org.apache.jsp.GAEDS_005fjs.tools.visualBuilder.index_jsp cannot implement getDependants() in org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspSourceDependent; attempting to use incompatible return type
                [javac] found : java.lang.Object
                [javac] required: java.util.List
                [javac] public Object getDependants() {
                [javac] ^

An error occurred at line: 36 in the generated java file
                [javac] /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8888_war____masbuh/jsp/org/apache/jsp/GAEDS_005fjs/tools/visualBuilder/index_jsp.java:36: cannot find symbol
                [javac] symbol : method getJspApplicationContext(javax.servlet.ServletContext)
                [javac] location: class javax.servlet.jsp.JspFactory
                [javac] _el_expressionfactory = _jspxFactory.getJspApplicationContext(getServletConfig().getServletContext()).getExpressionFactory();
                [javac] ^
                [javac] Note: /tmp/Jetty_0_0_0_0_8888_war____masbuh/jsp/org/apache/jsp/GAEDS_005fjs/tools/visualBuilder/index_jsp.java uses unchecked or unsafe operations.

An error occurred at line: -1 in the generated java file
                [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
                [javac] 3 errors

Is there something else I need to do to enable the VB?

Thanks

Comment

See the first reply in this thread - this seems to be a known Google App Engine bug, with various workarounds suggested.

Comment

Working...
                  X