Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

I'd like to cast another vote for the ability to remove the filter button. When using autoFetchData, the filter button does not provide any value and may be confusing to the user. I've tried right-clicking and I don't see any other options mentioned like clearing the filter etc. I just get the browser's context menu.

I would even suggest that if autoFetchData is set to true, then the filter button should automatically be hidden. i.e. you're either autoFetching or you are using the button, no need for both.

I know this is an old thread. If the current version has new functionality that is not mentioned here, please let me know because I have not found it. I am using very recent version of SmartClient 10.0.

Comment

Use of autoFetchData has nothing to do with whether a filter button should be there. A manual call to fetchData() has the same experience for the user as autoFetchData, and the functions accessible on the filter button make sense to use after data has been fetched as well.

If the filter button is redundant with some external controls you've added, the approaches above let you hide it. However we don't recommend this. Future framework features will be making more use of the filterButton rather than less, because it's the only clickable area on the grid that is separate from headers and data yet still fits within the grid's rectangular area.

Comment

Just so we're on the same page, I'm looking at the following:

http://www.smartclient.com/#liveFilter (Version 10.0p Built: 2015-03-25)

My mistake, it's not the autoFetchData property that negates the need for the filter button, it's the filterOnKeypress property. In the showcase example, filterOnKeypress is set to true. This has the effect that anytime the user types in a filter criteria or selects from a drop-down, the filter is applied and (if necessary) the data is fetched automatically. This is really cool and I want to use it.

In this example, I cannot find/create a case where clicking the filter button does anything. It doesn't even force a refresh. This makes sense because the correct data is already showing.... which means the filter button does not need to be there at all.

Additionally, there are no extra functions provided by the filter button. A 'clear criteria' function would be nice but I don't see it. There is no context menu.

Is there a use case on this showcase page where the filter button does something?

Comment

Whether or not the filter icon is redundant in this circumstance depends on the specific filterEditors in use, and since these are customizable in arbitrary ways (listGridField.filterEditorType) there is no reliable way for the framework to determine that the filter icon is redundant.

And again this applies only to the current 5.0 feature set. New features will be adding more functionality to the filter button.

So, exactly the same conclusion applies:

If the filter button is redundant with some external controls you've added, the approaches above let you hide it. However we don't recommend this. Future framework features will be making more use of the filterButton rather than less, because it's the only clickable area on the grid that is separate from headers and data yet still fits within the grid's rectangular area.

Comment

On the post dated 21st Mar 2011, 02:11 you mentioned
            "An extra filter button seems harmless, and note that you can right click on the filter button for further actions that you would also have to put in your toolbar."

But it's not there. So either is was there and has been removed or Isomorphic has been been planning on adding additional functionality to the filter button for at least 4 years. Either way, I wouldn't design an application based on some new functionality showing up there any time soon.

I have not explored all of the filter controls. I've only used the textbox, date range picker and drop-down. So there may be something else that would require a click of the filter button even when filterOnKeypress is true, but I have not yet seen it. Is there a sample in the showcase?

You mentioned, "there is no reliable way for the framework to determine that the filter icon is redundant." I think this is an argument for allowing the developer (who knows which filter controls are used) to make the decision on whether to show or hide the filter button. And since textbox, drop-down and date-range picker seem to be the most common filter controls used, and since this thread exists, I suspect there are plenty of applications that don't need the filter button at all... so an easy way to hide it (without hacks) would be useful.

Personally, I would prefer it if I could easily re-purpose that space to only be a 'clear criteria' button. I have done it with the methods mentioned here, but the button looks funky.

Comment

We already addressed these points, but to recap:

Whether or not the filter icon is redundant in this circumstance depends on the specific filterEditors in use, and since these are customizable in arbitrary ways (listGridField.filterEditorType) there is no reliable way for the framework to determine that the filter icon is redundant.
              .. and, as we've covered, a straightforward method is shown in this thread to hide the filter button. It certainly does not make sense to add a new, simpler API to do this, in the very version where it becomes an even worse idea (due to new features).

Comment

We are having exact same issue. Answer provided by admin is crappy...but Im used to it now with Smartclient.

Comment

Hi Josh, since this is your first-ever post to our forums, it's hard to see how you could be used to anything... but at any rate a post that is pure complaint and zero technical information or discussion definitely cannot lead to getting help!

Just a further note that there are now, indeed, additional functions available from the filter button (13.0's new filterWindow feature is one of them), so it's even more inappropriate to try to remove it, and we continue to strongly recommend against it. It basically just cripples the software for your end users.

However post #12 contains code you can just copy and paste to remove the filter icon, if desired.

Comment

> at any rate a post that is pure complaint and zero technical information or discussion definitely cannot lead to getting help!

If there is one thing I truly, genuinely despise of the things in this mighty world is ....... javascript (used by Smartclient) and its related tech stack. So Im allowed to complain and provide zero tech information.

> Just a further note that there are now, indeed, additional functions available from the filter button (13.0's new filterWindow feature is one of them), so it's even more inappropriate to try to remove it, and we continue to strongly recommend against it. It basically just cripples the software for your end users.

We use 10.0. I can't simply upgrade entire Smartclient because of this one tiny feature. And as others have said multiple times in the same topic, there should have been a way to completely remove the filter button. I respectfully dont care what you suggest. I have to listen to our customers (because they pay us) and they have rightfully complained that that filter button is totally useless if automatic filter is on. And we as a company agree.

> However post #12 contains code you can just copy and paste to remove the filter icon, if desired.

Smartclient is extremely customizable so im surprised that there is no easy and efficient (rather than a hack which comment #12 is) way to do this. The problem is only partially solved with #12. I still have two "complaints"

1) I get a hand cursor on hover. Comment #14 says "Use listGrid.setFilterButtonProperties(...) to disable the "hand" cursor (via 'setCursor()' on the button you pass into that method)." can you provide more details?
                    2) I want to change background color to a different color so it looks seamless. Is this possible?

Comment

Wow, doubling down on the vitriol! We're not sure if you are aware that you have the lowest grade of license and have never purchased support - you are relying on free support based on the goodwill of the very team whose work you just insulted, twice!

On the technical front:

1. SmartClient 10.0 is 6.5 years old and end-of-lifed - you need to upgrade

2. As covered thrice above, the filter button provides access to multiple functions, not just filtering, so it is not redundant when filterOnKeypress is set. We do recommend against crippling the filter button

3. Post #12 indeed contains a very simple way to get rid of the button if you don't want it, and post #14 describes how to get rid of the cursor:

Use listGrid.setFilterButtonProperties(...) to disable the "hand" cursor (via 'setCursor()' on the button you pass into that method).
                      With the same API you can adjust the background color or do whatever you want to the button.

Neither of these are hacks. These are part of the AutoChild system, which allows you to customize generated subcomponents in arbitrary ways.

Comment

Posts #1, #5, #15, #16 all have mentioned their support for totally removing filter button. Yet you and your team kept saying "we dont recommend"....I'll say again: RESPECTFULLY no one cares what you recommend. We are answerable to our customers only.

We will not upgrade unless needed.

I'll bow out of this conversation. Thanks for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                        X