Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

One more "vote" for gray, gwt-ext like, theme.

Thanks

Comment

Please do not use gradient fill where it is not necessary

Please do not use gradient fill where it is not necessary.
      Why would you have it on a form or inside input field?

http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwt/showcase/#layout_form_splitting

If I access it via remote desktop over VPN things become too slow when there are too much bitmap variations.

Thanks,
      --MG

Comment

+1 for gwt-ext like gray and outlook blue

Thanks

Comment

Another +1 for a blue and gray theme. Now the themes are so fancy it might as well be a digital candy store. Maybe there is also a change to get rid of a part of the images as there are so many right now.

Comment

Take this with a huge grain of salt, because not only am I not a designer, but I have bad taste.

Someone said previously that SilverWave is childish, that is not the word I would use. I would say it seems a little unprofessional. I think the gradients should be more subtle, and if there was a way to control which canvases had gradients and which didn't that would be great. I think the dark colors should be lighter, I mean the button of the gradients, the title bar of grids and trees, etc.... I think maybe gray would look better, and its neutrality I think would make the GUI elements seem more professional.

Comment

+1 for GWT-Ext like "gray" and "blue" themes

Thank you!

Comment

2) you like SilverWave but you need / prefer to use the ubiquitous Outlook look and feel, so there's no chance anyone will object to your application's appearance.

Personally, I am fine with SilverWave. But having Outlook L&F will make our customers feel they are playing with a standard desktop application. Please note that one of the reasons that stop Java Swing from being popular is because its default look and feel is not even close to native applications.

Comment

The look & feel of the gwt-ext skins hould all be ported! This was a really great interface.

Comment

Any word on when we can see a beta version of the new skins.

Comment

Another +1 for light gray theme! Please!

Comment

Windows Legacy

Any chance of a Windows Legacy skin, akin to that in the older SmartClient versions?

Comment

You must mean "standard" from the normal SmartClient package. Yes, all of the SmartClient skins will also be available for SmartGWT, as separately downloadable .jars.

Comment

- For me it's not about having the same look & feel as the desktop applications. It's about getting the 'wow' factor from the client. GWTExt gets the 'wow'.

- SilverWave looks non-professional and poorly designed

- The gradients are too strong
                            - The scroll bars look like as if they were designed for children. Moreover, they don't match the rest of the design at all.
                            - Window borders and tables are really ugly. The forms are worse. Well, maybe it's better to say that there is no design behind the forms.
                            - Components don't match each other
                            - You can choose between uber-strong gradients and no gradients at all. They don't mix ! Where is the designer's touch selecting the right amount ?
                            - The completely rounded minimize / close buttons don't match the square buttons and squared-everything. In Mac's Aqua the window buttons are rounded but so are the normal buttons, the tabs, etc, etc. And all of them share a common design.
                            - Tables and borders use strong belevels. It's like the beginner designers who are discovering Photoshop: there are a lot of standard Photoshop effects (belevels, gradients, embosses, etc) but no real design.
                            - It looks poor and feels cheap. It has no harmony or real design

*If you can port the GWTExt Gray / Aero Glass theme, that'd be fantastic.* My current employer as well as the rest of the development team saw it and loved it (in fact, that's going to be a problem if I want to switch to SmartGWT now -and I want-). I think this is typical from people who see GWTExt for the first time..

Can you imagine this forum with SilverWare ? Would you prefer it to use SilverWare or the simple, clean and fast (to download) design it uses ?

One important thing: in GWTExt if you just take a lot of components -starting with forms- and place them in the panels, they look great with a minimum of common sense. To get just an acceptable result with SilverWare -even accepting it's L&F- is really hard and time consuming.

So, my wish list would be:

a) A clone of the GWTExt theme
                            b) A different theme with rounded corners and smoother components, clean, light and professionally looking.

As Steve Jobs said "for the end user, the interface IS the system"

Sorry for the strong opinions. I often find that they are more useful that just soft ones (and I really appreciate them too about my work). In no way I'm trying to be rude, just to be useful.
                            Last edited by juan.medin; 4 Dec 2008, 13:24.

Comment

I could not agree more with the post above! You said it all!

Comment

New skin

I completely agree with juan. We need a 'wow' L&F !

Actually we are using GWT-Ext to prototype our applications, and we have to make a decision between GWT-Ext, Ext-GWT and SmartGWT. Event if the core is better than other frameworks, it will help me to have a 'wow' interface (to convince my management)

It seems a lot of users are waiting for the blue / gray Ext like theme ! Is there any plan to release this kind of L&F ? Please let us (aka the community) know if you plan to release such kind of theme and when it will be available, as it can influence our decision.

PS: I was not be able to find any roadmap on your web site !

Comment

Working...
                                X