Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

SmartClient -Database Configuration - SQL Server - No suitable driver found for jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver

Hi,

I am trying to get a connection to my local SQL Express database for testing but I am getting the following error:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartClient JDBC Error.png
Views:	266
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	262986
    I am trying to set up the connection from the /tools/adminConsole.jsp page. I am able to connect via SQL Server Management Studio using the same credentials and I can SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, etc.

I checked to see that I have a JDBC file located in the WEB-INF/lib folder. This is the file name that I downloaded from Microsoft and have saved to this folder. "mssql-jdbc-8.2.2.jre8.jar"

I have exhausted all my ideas of where and how to change things to have my connection to work with the SQL Server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!

Stephen

After dropping the .jar file into WEB-INF/lib, did you restart the server? (this is being added as the new step 2 since some people are forgetting).

Comment

That can easily be overlooked but, yes, I have restarted the server (i.e. closed the Command Window that opens when I double-click on the "start_embedded_server.bat" file and then double-click on it again to cause the server to run again).

Comment

Here is a Snip of what I have set in the Database Configuration:

Name:	SmartClient Server Config.png
Views:	221
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	262990

Comment

Did you type that JDBC URL in yourself? It doesn't appear to be correct; there shouldn't be a "microsoft" segment in there.

Whether you typed it in or we generated it, you should try correcting it.

Note also that SmartClient is just doing standard JDBC calls here; if you can connect using your own Java code with JDBC, use the same settings for SmartClient and it will work.

Comment

Thank you for the tip!! I don't remember adding "microsoft" to the JDBC URL. When I started working on this today it just showed as you see it except for the instance, database, user, etc. I changed it now to only include the following:

jdbc:sqlserver://172.16.1.51:1433;DatabaseName=EmployeeData;User=SCDS;Password=

But now it gives me this error:

Name:	SmartClient JDBC Error2.png
Views:	232
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	262995

It seems to get further but still doesn't work. Should I be adding the password to the JDBC URL? I thought it is meant to add that to the Password field underneath.

Comment

That seems to be it... I added the password to the end of the JDBC URL and now it says it is "OK". Thank you! Thank you!

Does that info get passed to the server in plain text or is it safely stored and passed to the server in order to not allow unwanted access?

Comment

So now I went to the "WEB-INF/classes/server.properties" file and changed the URL there and I included the password. Now it works but... is that safe? What about security?

Comment

We were about to say - yes - the JDBC URL needs to be complete, if you are using a JDBC URL, the other parameters aren't used.

About security - it's up to the database driver how to pass the password to the database engine, presumably Microsoft took an appropriate approach, but we're not familiar with the details.

As far as SmartClient, the password is stored in the server.properties file in WEB-INF/lib, generally a secure location.

Comment

Very good! You have helped me tremendously today! I really appreciate your assistance!

Comment

Working...
                    X