Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

SmartClient development inside Eclipse Web Tool

Hello,

I have recently discovered your the powerful and impressive SmartClient libraries and want to move on with more advanced coding with them.

Everything seems to work perfectly when using the embedded server, but I
    would like to be able to code with the libraries (client and server side) inside my favorite JAVA environment (Eclipse Web Tools) to benefit from its nice
    feature that facilitate typing error-free code.

I followed the step from the documentation
    (http://hostname:hostport/isomorphic/system/reference/SmartClient_Reference.html#group..iscInstall) but I do not seem to obtain the normal result in the end.

Here is what I did:

1. I installed and unzipped SmartClient_60_Evaluation.zip (to D:\)

2. I changed the embedded tomcat instance port to 8090 (by modifying D:\SmartClient_60_Evaluation\smartclientSDK\start_embedded_server.bat)

3. I started the embedded tomcat instance

4. I pointed my web browser to the documentation for reference (see URL above)

5. I installed Eclipse Web Tool 2.0.1 (that includes Eclipse 3.1.1) by downloading and unzipping
    wtp-all-in-one-sdk-R-2.0.1-20070926042742-win32.zip (to D:\CleanProgramFiles\WTP2.0.1)

6. I downloaded and unzipped atf-incubation-wtp-0.2.3M4-v200709141050.zip (to D:\CleanProgramFiles\WTP2.0.1)

7. I downloaded and unzipped SmartClient_ATF_Personality_1.0.zip (to D:\CleanProgramFiles\WTP2.0.1\eclipse)

8. I started Eclipse

9. I created a brand new dynamic web project (no visible option to create a smartclient project of file anywhere)

10. I copied the content of (D:\SmartClient_60_Evaluation\smartclientRuntime\isomorphic) to the WebContent directory of my web project

11. I copied the directory D:\SmartClient_60_Evaluation\smartclientRuntime\WEB-INF\classes to the WEB-INF directory of my web project

12. I copied D:\SmartClient_60_Evaluation\smartclientRuntime\WEB-INF\iscTaglib.xml to the WEB-INF directory of my web project

13. I copied the directory D:\SmartClient_60_Evaluation\smartclientSDK\WEB-INF\lib to the WEB-INF directory of my web project

14. I created an index.jsp file with some simple SmartClient code that works just fine in the embedded server

And the result are that:

1. I can publish to tomcat 5.1.15 and run the code including SmartClient javascript without problems (not even an error in the Eclipse console)

2. I get plenty of error in Eclipse:
    a. Cannot find the tag library descriptor for WEB-INF/iscTaglib.xml
    b. isc cannot be resolved
    c. MxChartDescription cannot be resolved to a type
    d. MxServerComponent cannot be resolved
    e. s4s-att-not-allowed: Attribute 'name' cannot appear in element 'any'

Can anybody help me find out what is wrong here.

Sebastien

Hi Sebastien,

You don't seem to mention making any changes to web.xml. This is the bulk of what the deployment instructions tell you how to do.

Comment

I am using the web.xml from:

D:\SmartClient_60_Evaluation\smartclientRuntime\WEB-INF

to which I just added:

<display-name>xSmartClient</display-name>
      <welcome-file-list>
      <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
      <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
      <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
      <welcome-file>default.html</welcome-file>
      <welcome-file>default.htm</welcome-file>
      <welcome-file>default.jsp</welcome-file>
      </welcome-file-list>

Comment

I am now deploying from Eclipse to Tomcat 6.0.14 instead of 5.5.15 and things seem to work fine.

But my code still looks as if it contained plenty of error in Eclipse even if it actually runs just fine.

It would be a dream if the SmartClient code was fully supported in Eclipse Web Tools!

Comment

Hi Sebastien,

As you say, now it works fine. There's a not a lot we can do about Eclipse reporting errors that don't exist. Truthfully we have seen the identical Eclipse installation on two machines report different errors.

Comment

I want to know....

Could anybody make it work?. Into in another enviroment. I'm trying with Netbeans, and It's terrible, the performance is terrible, there are a lot of errors. The frameworks are not visible, that means, the taglib in jsp not work.
            It possible work with that?. If not, please be brief, and say the true. "You must to buy the server version".

Comment

Hello cavogadr,

We've seen these exact problems with Netbeans. Unfortunately Netbeans tried to build a feature of dynamically parsing JavaScript libraries and intelligently reporting available APIs, but it doesn't work with AJAX RIA frameworks, which are substantially larger than whatever they tested with.

The approach Aptana took - which is also the approach the OpenAjax Alliance in general is taking and standardizing - is the right one. With SmartClient's Aptana/Eclipse plugin, a special metadata file is provided to the IDE, allowing the IDE to offer code completion and inline documentation information without trying to parse a large amount of JavaScript on the fly.

That plugin is available here.

Also, this has nothing to do with the client vs the server version. Many people use SmartClient without the server with PHP, .NET and other server technologies. As far as Java-based development tools, it's just that Netbeans is not currently a good pick for Ajax RIA.

Be sure you are also aware of our other tool offerings: Visual Builder (allows non-technical users to build applications in a web-browser) and SmartGWT (allows building SmartClient applications in pure Java, with a feel similar to Java Swing).

Comment

Thanks isomorphic, I just download Aptana tools.

Another thing, I was trying to install Driver's JDBC SQLSERVER 2005 (v1.2) on the adm. console, without success.
                I've copied the jar into web-inf/lib in both Runtime and Client (embedded tomcat). Also I defined the classpath to the path where the Driver was installed, because MS explain for use it, to install and define the classpath to the same. I am use it on AppServer Sun 9, and I could connect it, with another errors (JEJE), the class was implemented.

But I couldn't make it in the admin console. The message is "Drive not installed". In addition when I startup and I open the admin console, this driver figure not installed.

But I've made it with Oracle,... let me be a sarcastic, how many more easy is Oracle!!!!

Well, if you could give another clue. I've read all, in the forum, about of this.
                Thanks a lot.
                Charles.

Originally posted by Isomorphic
                Hello cavogadr,

We've seen these exact problems with Netbeans. Unfortunately Netbeans tried to build a feature of dynamically parsing JavaScript libraries and intelligently reporting available APIs, but it doesn't work with AJAX RIA frameworks, which are substantially larger than whatever they tested with.

The approach Aptana took - which is also the approach the OpenAjax Alliance in general is taking and standardizing - is the right one. With SmartClient's Aptana/Eclipse plugin, a special metadata file is provided to the IDE, allowing the IDE to offer code completion and inline documentation information without trying to parse a large amount of JavaScript on the fly.

That plugin is available here.

Also, this has nothing to do with the client vs the server version. Many people use SmartClient without the server with PHP, .NET and other server technologies. As far as Java-based development tools, it's just that Netbeans is not currently a good pick for Ajax RIA.

Be sure you are also aware of our other tool offerings: Visual Builder (allows non-technical users to build applications in a web-browser) and SmartGWT (allows building SmartClient applications in pure Java, with a feel similar to Java Swing).

Comment

The Java classname of the driver might be wrong - take a look at this thread.

Comment

Table or View doesn't exist...

Hello Isomorphic.

I'm trying to import standard datasources and I got this mssg. "Table or View does not exist".

I've verified the definition in *.ds.xml files and they've the correct path, to *.data.xml, but the data not appears.

So, what can I do?

Thanks.

Comment

Don't worry about...

Excuse me, I caught the problem. I've Oracle as default datasource. I changed it and it worked again.

Sorry,
                      Bye.

Originally posted by cavogadr
                      Hello Isomorphic.

I'm trying to import standard datasources and I got this mssg. "Table or View does not exist".

I've verified the definition in *.ds.xml files and they've the correct path, to *.data.xml, but the data not appears.

So, what can I do?

Thanks.

Comment

Eclipse is getting not responding after adding smartclient library. it is becoming non responsive even when I am trying to click on editor. I am using eclipse luna. is there any way to run it smoothly?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X