No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

try to evaluate, load built-in-ds into Eclipse

Hi all,

first the announced SmartGWT-server is missing in my download from
    www.smartclient.com/product/download-bounce.jsp?product=smartgwt&license=eval&version=5.0p&nightly=true

Second when importing the build.xml from sample/built-in-ds (using New "Java Project from Ant build.xml")
    there is an error:
    "Problem setting the classpath of the project from the javac classpath: ...gwtee-5.0p/samples/built-in-ds/${env.GWT_HOME} does not exist."
    although I have set GWT_HOME as casspath variable (under Preferences/Java/Buildpath).

I've manually setup a user library to import the missing jar's from smartgwtee-5.0p/ to settle the compile errors. But when trying
    Project/Run/AsGWT there is only an error:
    "Could not find any host pages in project BuiltInDs"!

I try to use
    1. SmartGWT 5.0 (i can't see the console yet)
    2. Firefox 36.0.4 for ubuntu
    3. Eclipse 4.4 Luna with
    Google Plugin for Eclipse 4.4, v3.8.0.v20141030 and
    Google Web Toolkit SDK v2.6.0

The SmartGWT server is included in that download - on disk, it's essentially just a set of .jars such as smartgwtee.jar.

Your overall experience suggests that you somehow deleted several of the files from the unzipped download before proceding with project import.

Note also that the readme suggests a simpler approach than what you're attempting.

Comment

Next try for "built-in-ds"

Hi Isomorphic,

I think my unzipped files are complete with 538 MB in total. The download file "smartgwtee-5.0p.zip" has a size of 304,1 MB. ( I repeated the download: now it has 304,7 MB? )

I failed on the path described in the readme because
      https://developers.google.com/eclipse/docs/existingprojects
      mentions an option "Create project from existing source" that does not exist any more in Eclipse(4.4Luna).
      Now you have to uncheck "use default location" and browse to java files you want to use !

After that they[developers.google] say "Check the Use Google App Engine box" - that implies on my Eclipse "Please configure an SDK!" which means AppEngineSDK?
      Does that mean, your sample project only runs on Google's cloud?

I ignored this and deployed it locally on Tomcat8.0.
      Then (RunAs/ WebApp; double clicking on "DevelopmentMode") Firefox says: " Development Mode requires the GWT Developer Plugin
      - Sorry, the GWT Developer Plugin only supports Firefox 3.0 - 26.0.
      Perhaps download Firefox 24? "

Alternatively I downloaded Chrome which fails similarly:
      "Sorry, the GWT Developer Plugin no longer works with Chrome on Linux"

Our company IT only delivers Ubuntu PCs !

Comment

solved - somewhat clumsy

Hello,
        after downloading Firefox version24 it got to work!

But it is clumsy to have two versions of it.
        Vaadin is much easier to use, although it uses GoogleWebToolkit as well.

And when you are talking of "smartclient server" you seem to mean a database server hsql only. My setup seems to run on Tomcat webserver.

Thank you.

Comment

No, SmartGWT does not require Google App Engine.

It's unfortunate that Google's online docs have become stale with respect to the updated menuing system within the latest Eclipse. But exactly the same situation exists for any GWT-based Toolkit, including Vaadin, and including the need to download older versions of Firefox to use GWT Development Mode.

Note, the new GWT SuperDevMode, which our documentation recommends you use and explains at length, does not require use of old versions of Firefox, and works in Chrome as well.

Comment

When importing the build.xml from sample/built-in-ds (using New "Java Project from Ant build.xml")
            there is an error:
            "Problem setting the classpath of the project from the javac classpath: ...gwtee-5.0p/samples/built-in-ds/${env.GWT_HOME} does not exist."
            although I have set GWT_HOME as casspath variable (under Preferences/Java/Buildpath).
            This is an Eclipse issue. Instead of defining GWT_HOME as a classpath variable using the Eclipse GUI, you need to declare it as en environment variable in the OS (for Windows), or define it in a command line shell before launching Eclipse from that shell. That's the only way that it will be properly resolved when importing a "Java Project from Ant build.xml". See the Eclipse Website for how to report it.

https://developers.google.com/eclips...istingprojects
            mentions an option "Create project from existing source" that does not exist any more in Eclipse(4.4Luna).
            Now you have to uncheck "use default location" and browse to java files you want to use !
            We've updated the READMEs and those changes will be available in the next nightly builds of SGWT EE 5.1 and newer.

Comment

Working...
            X