Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Advice: SmartGWT and AppEngine Datastore

I am fairly new using SmartGWT and need some advice. I would like to create an application that uses Google AppEngine.. ( I have read the postings about doing this.) The application would need a database back end, but since I am using AppEngine, using MySql or Derby is not an option. The choices seem to be JPA or JDO.

Which should I use? Is one inheritly better than the other? Does one work better with smartGWT? Is there something else that Appengine can interface with that I am missing?

If you are purely using the Appengine Datastore , then I suggest using Objectify. It is a thin wrapper and makes life a lot easier.. This is what I use.

http://code.google.com/p/objectify-appengine/

Goodluck

Strawman

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look at Objectify as suggested.

-matt

Comment

Originally posted by strawman
        If you are purely using the Appengine Datastore , then I suggest using Objectify. It is a thin wrapper and makes life a lot easier.. This is what I use.

http://code.google.com/p/objectify-appengine/

Goodluck

Strawman
        Hi Strawman,

Do you mean that do you have actually built a DataSource implementation on top of Objectify?

(I am really interested in this, because this is exactly what I was planning to do at some point in the future - although I have not yet decided which one to pick: objectify or twig.)

Comment

No, I just use the GWTDatasource thingy. The GWT service implementation uses objectify in the dao calls.

Easy enough to do this.

Objectify on AppEngine. Works nicely. Love their help on the newsgroup too.
          Dont hesitate.

Comment

Hi msiple

I have developed an application that uses SmartGWT and the App Engine JDO interface.
            I didn't know of Objectify but it would not have been suitable for me as I want my app to remain database agnostic as much as possible (in particular I want to be able to switch to Tomcat/MySQL, in which case I will have to use MySQL as a non-relational database to remain App Engine compatible.)

On the client side (SmartGWT) I used the RestDataSource, and on the server side I created a generic servlet to handle the four main operations on the datastore.
            FYI I used Simple XML for serialization purposes on the server side.

Regards,
            Luc
            Last edited by dindeman; 2 Aug 2010, 14:45.

Comment

Working...
            X