Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

ListGridField context menu not fully shown

Hi,
    small issue on SmartGWT EE SC_SNAPSHOT-2011-03-09.
    Win XP, Chrome, compiled mode.

If the Context Menu of a (sorted) ListGridField doesn't have enough space, it sometimes isn't moved up to fit the screen.

in screenshot:
    - normal view. The blue at the bottom is the Windows taskbar.
    - Open context menu of the 1st ListGridField. It's moved a bit up because it has not enough space (OK).
    - Open context menu of the 2nd ListGridField. It doesn't fit the screen. (NOK) Open it again, it fits the screen. Open the 1st one, then the 2nd one: it doesn't fit it anymore.

I have a feeling this is because I set the 2nd column to Sort. If I don't do that, the context menu seems always positioned ok.

bye
    Attached Files

We're having trouble getting this happen.

What exact version of Chrome?

Are you able to make this happen in the Showcase or only in your application?

Do you have any CSS styling applied to the <html> or <body> element?

Comment

Yep, also in the showcase - see screenshot
      http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwt/...umamry_builder

I resized my browser so the grid barely fits it.
      -Put the Sort on column Capital.
      -Show the context menu of field Population (it's ok)
      -Show the context menu of field Capital - it doesn't fit the screen.
      -Do it again, and the menu fits.

minor issue of course
      Chrome 10.0.648.133
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks.. exact version of Chrome?

Comment

You're just too quick to see my post edit ;)

Chrome 10.0.648.133

Comment

Hi,
            I still have this problem from this thread (repro with the showcase),
            and here is also another case:
            See attached screenshot.
            here is a dropdown containing a lot of records.
            The grid is at the bottom of the viewport. The blue thing is the Windows taskbar.
            When the drop down opens for the first time, it's too high.
            When the drop down opens after that, the bottom is aligned to the bottom of the viewport, but now the top is reset and put over the grid line.

Chrome 12.0.742.100
            SC_SNAPSHOT-2011-05-31/EVAL Deployment
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Levi,
              Thanks for the test case. We unfortunately are still failing to reproduce this issue on our end. We've been working with the same version of Chrome, and tried on XP, Windows 7 and Mac OSX, and following the series of steps to reproduce on the showcase example just isn't causing the issue for us.

We'll keep watching eye out for this issue and let you know if we do encounter it / come up with a solution.
              And of course if you come up with a surefire way to reproduce every time please feel free to let us know and we'll take another look.

Regards
              Isomorphic Software

Comment

Strange that you don't have it. I have it on other environments as well.
                And here's a quick repro:

Make your browser a bit smaller.

First time clicking on the ListGridField context menu icon, shows the menu too low.
                After that, click on the column to sort it, then click again on the context menu => the menu is a bit higher, but not OK yet.
                Click again, now the menu is OK.

See attachment of a bad and good case.

Code:
                	private void test14() {
                		Canvas c = new Canvas();
                		c.setBorder("20px solid black");
                		c.setWidth(500);
                		c.setHeight(200);

ListGrid grid = new ListGrid();
                		grid.setWidth(200);
                		grid.setHeight(200);
                		ListGridField field = new ListGridField("SomeField");
                		grid.setFields(field);

VLayout layout = new VLayout();
                		layout.setWidth100();
                		layout.setHeight(600);
                		layout.setMembers(c, grid);
                		masterPanel.addChild(layout);
                	}
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,
                  have you managed in reproducing this on your system?
                  I even got the same problem on a Linux running FF5, so it doesn't look like an isolated environment issue.

Comment

No, we still haven't been able to reproduce this on any environment, using your instructions. If you can narrow things down further, let us know.

Comment

I don't understand :(

In attachment is the behavior I see in IE9 on the showcase:

* close and open IE9
                      * go to showcase
                      * open sample Expression Filter
                      * make your browser window smaller so you know the ListGrid context menu won't fit
                      * click a ListGrid column to show the menu
                      => the menu pushes the showcase up (NOK)

* click somewhere else
                      * click the column again to show the menu
                      => now the menu does not push the showcase up, and the menu is drawn OK
                      Attached Files

Comment

Real users have this as well, so I can't say this is limited to my environments. Can't give more repros than I already have.

Any chance to look at this some more?

Comment

Hi Levi
                          We just spent some more time going back through the thread trying to reproduce this in the various permutations you've specified, to no avail.
                          We have no doubt that you are seeing this and, while it's not a particularly high severity issue we of course would like to get it resolved ASAP, which means we really need to reproduce it on our end.

You've posted a number of ways to theoretically reproduce this and it sounds like the same bug in each case. Let's just focus on one. Using the live showcase example from our site - http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwt/...umamry_builder - rules out any difference in bootstrap HTML, smartgwt server version etc, so let's try that:
                          Yep, also in the showcase - see screenshot
                          http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwt/...umamry_builder

I resized my browser so the grid barely fits it.
                          -Put the Sort on column Capital.
                          -Show the context menu of field Population (it's ok)
                          -Show the context menu of field Capital - it doesn't fit the screen.
                          -Do it again, and the menu fits.

minor issue of course
                          Chrome 10.0.648.133
                          On Windows XP, the most recent available version of Chrome is 14.0.835.187 m
                          Are you able to reproduce the issue with this version of Chrome running on Windows XP?

Do you have any plugins, themes or other 3rd party add-ons on your browser? Any non default settings to do with caching, etc?
                          It'd be best to verify whether this is reproducible with an entirely "Vanilla" (completely default settings) browser.

At the OS level, are you running with the standard XP theme, or windows-classic theme?

Are you finding this is 100% reproducible for you, or is it intermittent?
                          Can you reproduce it with this example in other browsers / OS's. If so what have you tried and what have you found?

Steps to reproduce: The above steps are pretty straightforward but we have been unable to reproduce the issue by following them. Here's a slightly extended description of the steps we took to reproduce. Please see if you can further clarify (or if these steps exactly as described here just work for you)

1) Open Chrome. Load the page by pasting in the URL and hitting "Enter".

2) resize the browser window such that you see a vertical scrollbar, and the example listGrid at the bottom is almost completely out of view (leave just headers visible)

3) (We did this step without scrolling the grid further into view or anything) - click the "Capital" field once, so it sorts

4) right click on header for "Population" - header menu shows, with all entries visible, including "Add summary column..."

5) right click on header for "Capital". For us the header menu shows with all entries visible.

Comment

Aha, I think I never specified I do this with left mouse click, not right click on the header! :) That seems to be the difference.

In your repro scenario:
                            in step 3, do not left click the "Capital" column to sort it, but rather hover the mouse over the spot where the context menu dropdown comes. Then left click that menu button. If you do it with the browser a bit minimized as in step 2, you see the context menu hides under the bottom of the browser.
                            Left click somewhere else to close that menu.
                            Now left click that menu button again. The context menu now is usually positioned fine.

And indeed, if I follow your scenario with the right click to open the menu, then it is positioned fine.

And on another note, is it possible to account for this menu button width when determining the width of the ListGridField with AutoFit to Title? With that setting, the menu button hovers over the title. Leaving a gap for that button (like the scroll bar gap setting) would be a bit tighter in look 'n' feel.

thanks

Comment

The main issue of the thread (bad positioning of context menu) is now resolved - the fix will show up in the next nightly build.

We also do plan to make field autoFit leave space for the header menu button if it can do so without introducing horizontal scrolling. We don't have an ETA for that change but will update this thread to let you know when we introduce this feature.

Regards
                              Isomorphic Software

Comment

Working...
                              X