Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Touch scrolling of ListGrid on mobile?

Hi,

I would like to configure the touch-grabbed scrolling of a ListGrid for mobile applications. (iPhone, etc.)

The layout has only one ListGrid, maxed out. I am using the Mobile skin.

However, I still get the usual (desktop-oriented) scroll bars, instead of touch-and-grab scrolling.

(If I touch it, it selects the given record, instead of scrolling.)

How can I configure that?

Thank you for explaining:

Csillag

Ps. I am using SmartGWT Power 2.5 with GWT 2.4

This is how I configure the ListGrid:

Code:
    ListGrid patients = new ListGrid() {{
        setWidth100();
        setHeight100();
        setDataSource(Patient.DS);
        setShowFilterEditor(true);
        setAlternateRecordStyles(true);
        setEmptyMessage("No patients to display.");
        setLoadingDataMessage("Loading patients...");
    }};

Comment

I have found this thread: http://forums.smartclient.com/showthread.php?t=17414

Here you state that drag scrolling is automatically on (when used on mobile), but this is not what I see, so obviously I am doing something wrong - but what?

Thank you for explaining:

Csillag

ps. A full, stand-alone, working example for mobile would definitely help avoiding these kind of questions.

Comment

Given that this just works right in the public showcases, no special sample is needed, and its difficult it tell what's wrong, because you didn't say what device you were testing with (always do this).

Comment

Originally posted by Isomorphic
          Given that this just works right in the public showcases,
          That's part of my point: there is effectively no real public showcase for using SmartGWT on mobile devices.

There is the big SmartGWT showcase, but (as even someone from Isomorphic stated) it's obviously too much to load on mobile devices, plus the layout is pretty much unusable for small screens. The mobile skin is not even offered in the theme switcher.

Therefore, as I have read, we are supposed to cut-and-paste individual samples from the showcase, and run them (with the mobile skin) to view them on mobile devices.

So, one has to start coding (and figure out a whole bunch of weird things) in order to test a very basic example. There are far too many things that can go wrong, and they often do - especially when the developer is new to SmartGWT or web development for mobile devices.

This effectively defeats the purpose of having a showcase.

IMHO, not having a simple, public URL that can easily be loaded on a mobile device to evaluate the basic widgets is a serious problem.

As things stand now, even after having worked with SmartGWT for more than a year, and having written >80 KLOC of (highly reusable) code for it, I have now spent several hours trying to evaluate SmartGWT for mobile web development, and I still have no idea how good the basic widgets are for touch devices.

Since I have seen the technological marvels of the systems before, I have faith in the mobile part as well, but something seems to be very, very wrong here.

(Unless you deliberately want to scare away (most of the) developers from using SmartGWT for touch devices. In that case, the strategy is working perfectly.)

no special sample is needed
          No, but a generic sample for touch devices (one that can be loaded by one click, contains 2-3 screens, and has a touch-scrollable ListGrid) would be essential, imho.

and its difficult it tell what's wrong, because you didn't say what device you were testing with (always do this).
          Tested on both iPhone 3GS and on Android 2.2.

Comment

The public showcase is already a public URL showcasing mobile support. The sole thing we've said about the Showcase is that it's a large app that shouldn't be used to evaluate *performance*.

So, are you saying touch scrolling does not work in the public showcase? Are you saying touch scrolling does not work in one of the provided sample projects?

Because the whole idea is that nothing special whatsoever needs to be done. It's just a standard SmartGWT install with no special steps.

So it's a mystery that you think there are several hours of setup involved - what were you doing?

Comment

When viewed on the desktop, the showcase does not offer the mobile skin. A big part of the mobile support is implemented in the mobile skin, so if the showcase is missing it, then the showcase is missing a big part of the mobile support.

When viewed on mobile (Android 2.2), showcase starts with the Enterprise Gray skin. I tried to to open the combo box to switch to Simplicity, but the combo box does not seem to work - so I have no idea whether it supports the Mobile skin or not. However, I can confirm that it's not the default, which it should be, when opened on mobile.

The showcase uses a very wide viewport, so when viewed on a mobile, everything looks very, very small.

The tree grid on the left side does not seem to work. I tried to open the "Grids" sub-tree, so that I can test the ListGrid examples there, but it does not open. I do not know why, it's possible that the page is still working in the background, but I have waited more than 5 minutes, and it still does not respond. (I am on a fast network.)

This is not a performance problem, this is not working.

So, I must repeat this: there does not seem to be a working, public showcase available for SmartGWT for mobile.

Comment

The Mobile skin is not actually considered central to mobile support. To date, most applications are targeting tablet+desktop, and have not chosen to switch to mobile skin for the tablet interface.

Bigger picture, we're not sure what you're hoping for as an outcome for this thread, but just to set expectations, it will not lead to the development team dropping everything to create a mobile showcase to your specification. So let's focus the discussion on normal support issues, that is, how-to questions and issue resolution.

We've got no repro on issues with the skin switcher or treeGrid selection in the Android emulator or in the Android devices we have on hand, with latest 3.x. In the future please specify actual device or emulator used.

Still no repro on any issues with drag scrolling either.

Comment

Working...
                X