newButton.setAlign(Alignment.CENTER);
    		newButton.setWidth(150);
    		newButton.addClickHandler(new ClickHandler() {  
    			public void onClick(ClickEvent event) {
    					SC.say("n: " + employeeName.getValues().length);				
    			}
    		});

addUserForm.setFields(employeeName, newButton);
    When I press the button I get the following error in my console....
    Code:
    22:11:53.796 [ERROR] [testbed] Uncaught exception escaped

com.google.gwt.event.shared.UmbrellaException: One or more exceptions caught, see full set in UmbrellaException#getCauses
        at com.google.gwt.event.shared.HandlerManager.fireEvent(HandlerManager.java:129)
        at com.smartgwt.client.core.DataClass.fireEvent(DataClass.java:248)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodAdaptor.invoke(MethodAdaptor.java:103)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodDispatch.invoke(MethodDispatch.java:71)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.invoke(OophmSessionHandler.java:172)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessagesWhileWaitingForReturn(BrowserChannelServer.java:337)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.invokeJavascript(BrowserChannelServer.java:218)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpaceOOPHM.doInvoke(ModuleSpaceOOPHM.java:136)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNative(ModuleSpace.java:561)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNativeObject(ModuleSpace.java:269)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.JavaScriptHost.invokeNativeObject(JavaScriptHost.java:91)
        at com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.Impl.apply(Impl.java)
        at com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.Impl.entry0(Impl.java:213)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.invoke(OophmSessionHandler.java:172)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessages(BrowserChannelServer.java:292)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChannelServer.java:546)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run(BrowserChannelServer.java:363)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Something other than a Java object was returned from JSNI method '@com.smartgwt.client.util.JSOHelper::getArrayValue(Lcom/google/gwt/core/client/JavaScriptObject;I)': JS value of type int, expected java.lang.Object
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.JsValueGlue.get(JsValueGlue.java:178)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNativeObject(ModuleSpace.java:271)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.JavaScriptHost.invokeNativeObject(JavaScriptHost.java:91)
        at com.smartgwt.client.util.JSOHelper.getArrayValue(JSOHelper.java)
        at com.smartgwt.client.util.JSOHelper.convertToJavaStringArray(JSOHelper.java:817)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessagesWhileWaitingForReturn(BrowserChannelServer.java:337)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.invokeJavascript(BrowserChannelServer.java:218)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpaceOOPHM.doInvoke(ModuleSpaceOOPHM.java:136)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNativeObject(ModuleSpace.java:269)
        at com.smartgwt.client.widgets.form.fields.SelectItem.getValues(SelectItem.java)
        at com.dws.managemymanifest.client.TestBed$1.onClick(TestBed.java:122)
        at com.smartgwt.client.widgets.form.fields.events.ClickEvent.dispatch(ClickEvent.java:96)
        at com.smartgwt.client.widgets.form.fields.events.ClickEvent.dispatch(ClickEvent.java:1)
        at com.google.gwt.event.shared.GwtEvent.dispatch(GwtEvent.java:1)
        at com.google.web.bindery.event.shared.EventBus.dispatchEvent(EventBus.java:40)
        at com.google.web.bindery.event.shared.SimpleEventBus.doFire(SimpleEventBus.java:193)
        at com.google.web.bindery.event.shared.SimpleEventBus.fireEvent(SimpleEventBus.java:88)
        at com.google.gwt.event.shared.HandlerManager.fireEvent(HandlerManager.java:127)
        at com.smartgwt.client.core.DataClass.fireEvent(DataClass.java:248)
        at com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.Impl.apply(Impl.java)
        at com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.Impl.entry0(Impl.java:213)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessages(BrowserChannelServer.java:292)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChannelServer.java:546)
        at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run(BrowserChannelServer.java:363)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
    Is there something that I am doing wrong. To my understanding if I have SelectItem.setMultiple(true), and I select more than one entry form the dropdown.... I should be able to do SelectItem.getValues() which returns a String [] of the items that were selected.
    Is this correct or am I missing something?
    Last edited by ajmarrer; 16 Feb 2012, 19:19.

Just wanted to follow up and see if anyone has any advice on the problem that I am experiencing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Can you show me the code in which you're passing values in SelectItem or to DataSource?

Comment

The code that I am using is shown in my initial post. As for the values that are populating the SelectItem is handled directly by DataBinding in the background. Its simply the data that is part of the table from my SQL source.

This seems like something trivial that should work for me unless I am doing something incorrectly.

If you feel any other information would be helpful please just ask.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Of what type is the "EmployeeId" property?

Comment

The EmployeeId field of the Employee Datasource is of type "sequence" in my Employees.ds.xml file.

In the actual SQL Employee table, its an auto-incremented field.

Comment

Isomorphic, any input on this? Have you found this to be working on your end and its simply that I am doing something incorrectly?

Comment

See the FAQ - we can't run your code, and as far as speculating with you, you're reporting a JavaScript error with no stack trace, so there's little we can do.

Comment

It looks like it's bringing back an array of int primitives rather than Strings. Does it work if you use a different property as the valueField? That is, can you try setting "FirstName" as both the displayField and the valueField?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion! That actually began to work.

Given this scenario, it definitely seems like a bug.

If I have the following code....

Code:
                                   final SelectItem employeeName = new SelectItem("EmployeeId");
                    		employeeName.setTitle("Choose Employee");
                    		employeeName.setMultiple(true);
                    		employeeName.setOptionDataSource(employeesDS);
                    		employeeName.setValueField("EmployeeId");
                    		employeeName.setDisplayField("FirstName");
                    		employeeName.setRequired(true);
                    		employeeName.setPickListWidth(450);
                    		employeeName.setPickListProperties(pickListProperties);
                    		employeeName.setPickListFields(fName, lName, pos, dob, passportExp);
                    and performing employeeName.getValues() throws an error.
                    And if I change the "ValueField" as follows...

Code:
                                    final SelectItem employeeName = new SelectItem("EmployeeId");
                    		employeeName.setTitle("Choose Employee");
                    		employeeName.setMultiple(true);
                    		employeeName.setOptionDataSource(employeesDS);
                    		employeeName.setValueField("FirstName");
                    		employeeName.setDisplayField("FirstName");
                    		employeeName.setRequired(true);
                    		employeeName.setPickListWidth(450);
                    		employeeName.setPickListProperties(pickListProperties);
                    		employeeName.setPickListFields(fName, lName, pos, dob, passportExp);
                    and the error goes away. It seems to me like to SelectItem object is not taking the toString() value of the integer value that is being passed in from the "EmployeeId".

Below is my Employees.ds.xml file...

Code:
                    <DataSource ID="Employees" dbName="manifest"
                    	serverType="sql" tableName="employees">
                    	<fields>
                    		<field name="EmployeeId" type="sequence" primaryKey="true" hidden="true" />
                    		<field name="FirstName" title="First Name" type="text" length="64" required="true" />
                    	</fields>
                    </DataSource>
                    Ideally I would like to be able to maintain the "employeeId" as the "ValueField" because I am using this to "INSERT INTO" my sql table.
                    Any advice or workaround is welcome. Thanks again for all the support!

Comment

I'm having the same exact issue. Any suggestions? solutions?

Comment

What is the definition for "manifestDS"?

Comment

manifest.ds.xml file is shown below...

Code:
                          <DataSource ID="Manifest" dbName="manifest"	
                          serverType="sql" tableName="manifest">
                          	<fields>
                          		<field name="ManifestId" type="sequence" primaryKey="true" hidden="true" />
                          		<field name="EmployeeId" type="integer" hidden="true" foreignKey="employees.EmployeeId" />
                          		<field name="ProjectId" type="integer" hidden="true" foreignKey="projects.ProjectId" />
                          		<field name="CompanyId" title="Company Id" type="sequence" foeignKey="companies.CompanyId" />
                          	</fields>

Comment

Does the "getSelectedRecords()" method work for your requirements?
                            Code:
                                        public void onClick(com.smartgwt.client.widgets.form.fields.events.ClickEvent event) {
                                            final ListGridRecord[] selectedRecords = item.getSelectedRecords();
                                            for (ListGridRecord selectedRecord : selectedRecords) {
                                                final String selectedItemId = selectedRecord.getAttribute("EmployeeId");
                                                SC.say("Employee ID: " + selectedItemId);
                                            }
                                        }

Comment

That workaround worked Joe!

Thanks for the help.

However I still believe the SelectItem object should take the toString() values of integers when doing SelectItem.getValues();

Either way thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X