Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

What is your primary Java IDE?

Isomorphic is trying to understand the number of developers using SmartGWT with each major IDE in order to figure out whether future tools will be most valuable for our users if they are IDE agnostic, or if they are delivered for specific IDE(s).

Please use the polling interface above to let us know what you use as your primary Java IDE environment. If you have further details / comments, feel free to post as well.
    Eclipse
    72.06%
    IntelliJ (from Jetbrains)
    14.71%
    Netbeans
    10.29%
    JDeveloper
    0.00%
    MyEclipse or other commercial Eclipse variant
    2.94%
    Something else (please post details)
    0.00%
    Last edited by Isomorphic; 22 Mar 2012, 15:58.

I'm using Intellij (incredibly more efficient and productive than eclipse), but I'm a Smartclient, not Smartgwt user :-)

Comment

I am a long time IntelliJ IDEA IDE developer, but I am probably not utilizing it as much as I could with my Smart GWT projects. In the past, I have had success running vanilla GWT demo projects within IntelliJ and being able to step through the logic in a debugging mode.

The Smart GWT showcase projects did not fair as well when I experimented with them. So I tend to use IntelliJ as a language editor and troubleshoot my code using the Smart GWT Developer Console. This is easy to do now because I have gotten through the initial learning curve of the framework.

I would be very interested in any recommendations Isomorphic or other forum members might have on best practices for using an IDE like IntelliJ with Smart GWT.

Comment

IntelliJ for me.

My most recent 5-10 active clients, are IntelliJ shops, and account for at least 50 IntelliJ licenses.
        Developers are, however, free to use their IDE of choice.
        So some use both IntelliJ and Eclipse, but I do not know why.

These developers would use debug, profiling, and optimization tools.
        The smaller the company, the more they would use tools such as UI builders.
        The bigger the company, the less they would probably use UI builders as they tend to use/build frameworks on top instead.

Comment

I'm sometimes forced to use Eclipse when on a client-site project, but whenever i have a choice, i'm using my Intellij License. It's simply way better in almost every respect.

Comment

Working...
          X