Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

CPU impact of hovering over grid records

Hello,

Recently we noticed (while performance testing our app) that there is quite an impact on the CPU when we move the mouse over list-grid records (from top to bottom and back). The faster the mouse moves the higher the CPU use stats go.

I expected some issue in our app with the application of styling but I was surprised that this was noticeable in the showcase too.

When you have a look at the 'Cell Styles' sample (http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwt/...ce_cell_styles) you can see that the CPU usage goes berserk (40% on a single CPU) when hovering the rows fast.

I have tested this on Windows XP with IE8, FF11 and Chrome 18. All show similar behavior.

We are on SC_SNAPSHOT-2012-02-01_v8.3d/Pro Deployment (built 2012-02-01), but since it is noticeable in the showcase too I assume the version information is not that important for this particular case.

Is something wrong here or is this 'expected' behavior due to the inability of the current browsers?

thanks

Depending on the skin (some use an image gradient for rollover), yes this is normal.

Comment

It is the 'Enterprise Gray' skin which defaults on the showcase, in the example I can notice it on both grids.

Comment

Yes, that is one where a gradient is used. Re-rendering a gradient based on a .png as the mouse moves around is expected to cause some CPU usage but no visual lag - this is what we see on test machines.

Comment

Working...
        X