Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Bug: 5.1d BatchUploader does not discard data for wrong (not matching) columns in .csv

Hi Isomorphic,

please see the testcase from this thread, but with the ds.xml from post #3.

I'm uploading a completely wrong .csv, something a user could easily do. See the attachment for the (renamed to text) .csv-file.

As result I get this: Click image for larger version

Name:	NoMatchingAtAllEvenThoughHardcodedInDsXML.png
Views:	23
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	231512

In my opinion the BatchUploader here should display no data at all as there is no data that would reasonably match any of the columns.
    Also, a message which columns are present in the .csv that have no matching .ds.xml-uploadFieldName would be great (necessary).
    Same the other way around: Column in the .ds.xml that are not present in the .csv upload.

I'm using SNAPSHOT_v10.1d_2015-09-20/PowerEdition Deployment.
    This is a very important one for me (from my reports everything BatchUploader-related has currently the highest priority for me).

Best regards
    Blama
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blama; 22 Sep 2015, 05:41. Reason: Added missing "not" in thread title

Hi Isomorphic,

thanks for adding the suggested enhancement ("Also, a message which columns are present in the .csv that have no matching .ds.xml-uploadFieldName would be great").
    It seems to have two minor bugs, though. The list is "," separated, not ", " (with space) separated.
    Also, it does not display anything when you import a completely wrong file. I think it should either display all fields from the csv-file then or (better) show a warning suggesting that a wrong file was imported.

The other enhancement ("Same the other way around: Column in the .ds.xml that are not present in the .csv upload.") would also be nice, but is less important as the result (empty column) is more apparent to see.

Thank you & Best regards
    Blama

Comment

About importing completely wrong cvs file. We've added a note in BatchUploader docs telling that
      for CSV data format header line is optional. If first non-empty line in the uploaded file has no matching field names, it is assumed that there's no header row, and all rows (including the first one) are treated as data rows.

This means that completely wrong cvs file will be treated as correct file without header line.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

the string you added in #2 reads
        The following columns in your imported data were ignored because they did not match any of the expected column names: $discardedColumns
        As the data were not persisted yet, I think that this sentence fit better:
        The following columns in your uploaded file were ignored because they did not match any of the expected column names: $discardedColumns
        I already adjusted the German translation in getlocalization.
        Another question: Is it possible to suggest corrections for English strings there as well?

Best regards
        Blama

Comment

We agree with the modified message.

Regarding your question, the forum is the best place to suggest rewording the original (English) messages.

Regards
          Isomorphic Software

Comment

Working...
          X