Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Missing API: Serverside DSResponse constructor / setter with DataSource as String

Hi Isomorphic,

I'm transitioning existing 5.1p server code that was used from the client to work from server/servlet use as well, making it not depend on a RPCManager-instance presence.

This works well so far, but now I'm at a position where I need to fake a DSResponse in order not execute an expansive statement.
    Before I used this in a method returning a DSResponse:
    Code:
    fetchResponse = new DSResponse(rpcManager.getDataSource(dataSource.getValue()), BaseResponse.STATUS_SUCCESS);
    return fetchResponse;
    But now I don't have rpcManager.

Can I do this?
    Code:
    DataSource tempDS = DataSourceManager.get(dataSource.getValue());
    fetchResponse = new DSResponse(tempDS, BaseResponse.STATUS_SUCCESS);
    DataSourceManager.free(tempDS);
    return fetchResponse;
    Even if this is valid usage, a String-constructor for DSResponse (like for DSRequest) would be the cleaner solution IMHO.
    What is your suggestion here?

Thank you & Best regards
    Blama

Because you don't have an RPCManager, we can't offer a String-based constructor since there is no way for the DSRequest to know when to free the DataSource - you need to do so.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

are you also talking about DSResponse (and not DSRequest)?
      I want to fake a response, no DataSource/DB action involved. The object should just be used to be returned to the client. Perhaps I'm not getting the bigger picture here, but I think that this does not involve getting and freeing a DataSource-instance, does it?

Best regards
      Blama

Comment

It does. DSResponse uses DataSources for multiple different reasons, including figuring out how data is to be serialized.

Comment

OK, that's the bigger picture then. Thanks for explaining.

Is the code I showed in #1 OK? Get a DataSource, fake my DSResponse, return the DataSource and then continue working with the DSResponse object?

Comment

You can't free it that soon, you need to free it once you've completed working with the DSResponse.

Comment

Working...
            X