Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Chart issues

I have some issues with the charts component. I will try to make testcases, but I saw some of them are similar as some behaviours I saw in the showcase, so I will start with the showcase.
    http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwte...rementDataZoom
    - Select chart-type column
    - Take a look at the screenshot.
    - There I see three issues:
    1. The zoom-chart is showing nothing in its left part. But in the main chart I see data.
    2. The frequency axis doesn't show any values. Nothing. Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2016-08-05 um 11.43.46.png
Views:	56
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	239537

3. The zoom-chart and the main chart do not show the same values. The zoom chart seems shifted to the left comparing it to the main chart.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2016-08-05 um 11.49.48.png
Views:	49
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	239538

4. In the chart:
    http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwte...tockPricesZoom

Select chart type: pie
    The date formatting doesn't work any more. In my use case it's the same. I have a nice formatted date but in this case (and doughnut) the date formatting is ignored.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2016-08-05 um 11.58.21.png
Views:	46
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	239540

Comment

Isomorphic have you been able to take a look at the issues?

Comment

We'll be taking a look at these shortly.

Comment

With respect to the first sample you mention, we aren't able to reproduce issue #1, but we can confirm #2 and #3.

Comment

Originally posted by edulid View Post
            4. In the chart:
            http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwte...tockPricesZoom

Select chart type: pie
            The date formatting doesn't work any more. In my use case it's the same. I have a nice formatted date but in this case (and doughnut) the date formatting is ignored.
            With that sample's default settings, the time is shown along the x-axis, so the LabelCollapseMode.TIME setting allows the individual facet values to be replaced with a scale formatted appropriately. However, for a donut-style chart, there is no analogous axis. What appears in the legend are just the facet titles themselves, without any additional formatting or narrowing. So there's no bug.

What is possible in this situation is to provide separate facet titles, which differ from the facet id values. An example of this is shown here. In that example, the user had Strings as his facet ids, but it could be adapted to your situation where the facet ids are Dates - the facet titles would be Strings, formatted by your own code.

Comment

Hi all,

I (not the OP) can reproduce all three errors on the online showcase with FF26, IE Edge 13, Chromium 52.

Best regards
              Blama

Comment

Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
                With respect to the first sample you mention, we aren't able to reproduce issue #1, but we can confirm #2 and #3.
                For issue 1: Don't you see the white spaces in the zoom-chart in my screenshot (left and right)? What do you see instead?

With that sample's default settings, the time is shown along the x-axis, so the LabelCollapseMode.TIME setting allows the individual facet values to be replaced with a scale formatted appropriately. However, for a donut-style chart, there is no analogous axis. What appears in the legend are just the facet titles themselves, without any additional formatting or narrowing. So there's no bug.

What is possible in this situation is to provide separate facet titles, which differ from the facet id values. An example of this is shown here. In that example, the user had Strings as his facet ids, but it could be adapted to your situation where the facet ids are Dates - the facet titles would be Strings, formatted by your own code.
                For issue 4: Maybe my use case is different, but I have:
                Code:
                DateUtil.setDefaultDateSeparator( "." );
                        DateUtil.setDateInputFormat( "DMY");
                       DateUtil.setShortDateDisplayFormatter( systemConfig.new KidsDateDisplayFormatter() );
                        DateUtil.setNormalDateDisplayFormatter( systemConfig.new KidsDateDisplayFormatter() );

private class KidsDateDisplayFormatter
                        implements DateDisplayFormatter
                    {

@Override
                        public String format( Date date )
                        {
                            if ( date == null )
                            {
                                return null;
                            }
                            DateTimeFormat dateFormatter = DateTimeFormat.getFormat( "dd.MM.yyyy");
                            String format = dateFormatter.format( date );
                            return format;
                        }

}
                So all dates in the system should be forrmatted as dd.MM.yy. This works in most of the cases, only in this case I see an unformatted date.

Comment

About the issue of missing labels for a column chart with labelCollapseMode: the issue here is that, in this generated data set, none of the data values happen to fall on the gradation values chosen by the chart. While we could modify the behavior here to do something like label the column that happens to be closest to a chosen gradation, in this chart at least, that's going to show a long decimal value, so also not a good result.

Before we go any further down this path, do you have a use case in mind where a Column chart with labelCollapseMode:"numeric" set would actually produce useful output? It doesn't seem like this combination could ever be better than Line or Area, except for the trivial case where labelCollapseMode is inactive since all labels can be shown.

Comment

About the issue of missing labels for a column chart with labelCollapseMode: the issue here is that, in this generated data set, none of the data values happen to fall on the gradation values chosen by the chart. While we could modify the behavior here to do something like label the column that happens to be closest to a chosen gradation, in this chart at least, that's going to show a long decimal value, so also not a good result.

Before we go any further down this path, do you have a use case in mind where a Column chart with labelCollapseMode:"numeric" set would actually produce useful output? It doesn't seem like this combination could ever be better than Line or Area, except for the trivial case where labelCollapseMode is inactive since all labels can be shown.
                    In my usecase, I actually have dates, and in the column and bar charts these dates are not shown (only the label "date" is shown). So my use case is similar in that no data are shown in one axis, the difference is that it contains dates, not numbers.

Comment

We've made a fix to address issue #3 to SGWT 6.0p/SC 11.0p, and it will be in the nightly builds dated 08-11-2016.

The reason Issue #1 is more difficult to reproduce is that it depends on browser width - you can increase or decrease the "gaps" by resizing the browser horizontally. We know what's causing this problem and are considering solutions but it's more difficult to resolve than #3. We'll update this thread when it's been addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by edulid View Post
                        In my usecase, I actually have dates, and in the column and bar charts these dates are not shown (only the label "date" is shown). So my use case is similar in that no data are shown in one axis, the difference is that it contains dates, not numbers.
                        The Showcase sample you've pointed us to for Issue #2 has numeric data as the facet data (on the x-axis in "Column" chart mode). Our labelCollapseMode logic for dates is significantly different than for numeric data. So, can you provide some repro code for a similar case with dates as the facet values that shows the problem?

Comment

The Showcase sample you've pointed us to for Issue #2 has numeric data as the facet data (on the x-axis in "Column" chart mode). Our labelCollapseMode logic for dates is significantly different than for numeric data. So, can you provide some repro code for a similar case with dates as the facet values that shows the problem?
                          ok, I will. It is actually very similar, in that nothing appears at the x-axis, just as in Issue#2. Only dates instead of numbers.
                          Stil, in the showcase, nothing appears (no numbers), and I would expect something to appear. A chart without any data labels is not very usable.

Comment

We've applied a fix to address the "gap" present in the selection slider - which you call issue #1 - to SGWT 6.0p/SC 11.0p and newer. It will be in the nightly builds dated 2016-08-13 and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                            X