Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

ISC_Core.js load times

Hi I have a question regarding our landing page load times.

It has always taken a while to load the JS-files, since they are pretty big. But we are currently switching production environment and have thought about some strange stuff. Hoping for some input.

When i load for example the ISC_Core using the URL with firebug, the file takes lets say 200ms to load in the browser from our old environment, and 140ms to load from our new machine. HOWEVER, when i load our landing-page (index.jsp, which loads the smart gwt app), the file takes 480ms to load on our old machine, and 2-3 Seconds(!) on the new one.

Stuff like DB benchmarks etc. are way faster on the new hardware, but for some reason, the ISC_core, and the other ISC-js static JS files have way longer load times in the new environment in firebug, resulting in a slower total load time for our landing page. Also, just by visual inspection, the page takes longer to load in safari, chrome etc, despite the way better hardware.

The only thing I can think of is something related to parallell loading of resources, since the landing page loads lots of stuff at the same time as you know.

This is very strange to us, and we're no experts. Have you seen this behaviour, do you have any ideas? Also, in general, is there anything one can do to reduce the size of the smartgwt library? (We're already running pro and upgraded to 6 a couple of days back, but running on 5.1).

Would be great if you could chime in.

There's not much we can suggest with so little information. You should look at whether the files are being served by a dedicated web server vs a Java application server, and whether they are being served from a filesystem that is slower (perhaps NAS). You can also look at whether there is latency before the file begins to be streamed vs just steady slower streaming.

Comment

Hey, fair enough. I'm just no expert, so wanted to check in if you had heard of some similar situation. As i said, it's only slow when fetched as part of the "page loading", i.e. when all files are fetched at the same time.

Oh well.

On a similar note, all those JS-files ARE pretty big. Is there any way to reduce the footprint? I have a pro license, so i have gathered that they are already minified?

Comment

Working...
      X