Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Declarative Security ds.xml viewRequiresRole and Velocity expressions supported?

Hi Isomorphic,

could you elaborate a bit on this excerpt from the Quick Start Guide?
    Code:
    Declarative Security (requires attribute)
    Similar to requiresRole and requiresAuthentication, the requires attribute allows an arbitrary Velocity expression to restrict access control
    For my mail sending I'm injecting an "$options" object in my SQLDataSource subclass. Depending on the options I then show or hide fields in the html template.
    I tried the same with viewRequiresRole for a field in my .ds.xml, but it seems that my code like viewRequiresRole="#{if}($options.isShowA)aGrantTheUserHasForSure#{else}false#{end}" is interpreted as text - as no role with that text exists, the field is canView:false as result. Also introducing Velocity-syntax errors did not result in server exceptions.
    So my question is: Does the DataSourceLoader also have the Velocity variables at hand I inject in SQLDataSource? It would need them in order to evaluate that viewRequiresRoles shown above.

My use case is that I could handle system settings that way without having to assign or not-assign a role to all users.

Thank you & Best regards
    Blama

That excerpt describes DataSource.requires not viewRequiresRole. The requires attribute does support a velocity expression but the *RequiresRole attributes do not. Perhaps you want to use the DataSourceField.viewRequires attribute with a true/false velocity expression instead.

The template will be evaluated on fetch, not in the DataSourceLoader.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

thanks for the fast answer. Now that I read the viewRequires-docs, I can see that here the "return type" is "VelocityExpression", while it is "String" for viewRequiresRole.
      I did not look there before because I remembered reading "Declarative Security + velocity" in the QSG...

Yes, it looks like viewRequires does exactly what I need.
      Actually, it also hints directly to my use case:
      In addition to the normal context variables available to Velocity expressions in Smart GWT, expressions you write for field-level requires clauses - viewRequires, editRequires, initRequires and updateRequires - can reference two additional variables: $fieldName and $dsName. These are the names of the dataSource and field currently undergoing requires checks. They are helpful because they allow you to write a generic checker function that can be used to handle requires checks for multiple fields and dataSources.
      Related: I noticed that if I have a limited "outputs", joins in SQL are not generated if they are not needed because the includeFrom-field is not in "outputs".
      I strongly assume that this is also the case for fields with a result of viewRequires="false". If so - amazing.

Thank you & Best regards
      Blama

Comment

Working...
      X