Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Stack Overflow at line: 2982 popup

SmartClient Version: SC_SNAPSHOT-2011-01-06/PowerEdition Deployment (built 2011-01-06) / GWT 1.7.1

Hosted development browser / IE8

No errors in logs/console.

In hosted mode I have come across a problem that manifests itself in a popup that appears which says: Stack Overflow at line:2982. When I run the app in IE (not the development browser) it appears to work OK.

I've narrowed it down to a VStack where I am adding 353 buttons into it. If I cut the number of Buttons down to 30, everything is OK in hosted mode. I just don't have access to all the Buttons while in development mode.

Any thoughts? Is there something I can try or do to get around this in development mode? I can only think of limiting the number of Buttons I put in the VStack, but then I don't have a fully functional app during development?

This is likely because some versions of IE simply impose an arbitrary stack depth limit, some times as low as 128 frames (yes, that's ridiculous).

Hosted mode introduces a lot of extra stack frames, so it's unlikely you'll ever hit this issue in a deployed application, even if a superuser had access to see all 353 buttons.

As far as avoiding it in development mode, you might be able to avoid it by deferring creation of the 353 buttons until everything else on the screen has drawn (using DeferredCommand / Scheduler).

Comment

When I load the VStack with 353 buttons and run it in a regular browser everything appears to be ok loading and rendering. I have a 2nd VStack that does not appear to fire the DropHandler now when I drag a button from the VStack with 353 buttons to the smaller VStack with 8 buttons? When I reorder the buttons in the VStack with the newly added button (now 9 buttons) the DropHandler fires ok.

The DropHandlers fire ok when I limit the buttons to a small number of 30. Problems seem to arise with a count of 353 buttons.

Any suggestions?
      Last edited by JLivermore; 29 Nov 2012, 11:46.

Comment

We can't tell what's going wrong without code to run.

However, bigger picture, why have two VStacks with huge numbers of buttons, instead of just a pair of ListGrids?

Comment

Good idea, I'll try that approach.

Comment

Working...
          X