Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

ListGrid.startEditingNew() new row losing focus

No specific SmartGWT version (seen in both 4.1 and 6.1)
    Windows 8.1 + 10
    Specific to Chrome browser (seen in 63.0.3239.108). Firefox and IE seem unaffected.

I'm putting this question out there in the hopes that others have maybe noticed this behavior and can give me some pointers on how to solve it.

Symptoms:

ListGrid.startEditingNew() new row loses focus a split second after the new empty row is first created, triggering a server-call which generates a validation error due to an empty value being sent.

Background:

We make a lot of use of ListGrid.startEditingNew() and it's worked fine for several years. Late last year some users started reporting the symptoms stated above, which I've confirmed visually on their machines. Oddly, my local machine seems to be currently unaffected and I'm running the same OS and Chrome version as some of the affected users but I don't have the problem.

I've seen the same behavior on both SmartGWT 4.1 and a recent 6.1 build when affected users run both old and new libraries, and given that not everyone using Chrome is affected that would lead me to believe it's environmental, rather than a code problem, but something seems to be interfering with the ListGrid behavior on certain users' browsers.

I had thought maybe there was a background OS process stealing focus or something, but it seemed oddly specific to editing new rows in ListGrid - we don't see the behavior editing other form items for example. The problem seems to have started around Q4 last year and appears to be getting worse as users who had no problems in Dec are now starting to be affected. I'm wondering if it's some sort of environmental issue like a rogue Windows update or something, although it only appears to affect Chrome running on both Windows 8.1 and 10 so I can't think what it could be.

Unfortunately I can't just tell them to use Firefox, as Chrome is required to be supported where I am, hence this post!

Anyone seen anything like this in their apps? I'm a bit baffled.

Most likely, you are suffering from the same recently introduced Chrome bug that is discussed in this thread, which includes workarounds.

Comment

Yes, this seems to be the problem. I am able to eliminate the problem if I turn the Chrome Password Manager off completely. Not very convenient though! It doesn't seem to work by just excluding specific URLs from the password manager but I will play with the settings to see if I can get a better balance for my users.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
      X