No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Can't work out how to design cascading menus in VisualBuilder

v11.1p_2018-01-16/EVAL Development Only

Hello,

I am just trying to design my first application which I want to have a menu bar (File, View, etc. with sub menu items) and then some search/selection fields and then a list of data as a table.

I just can't seem to work out how to create the menu bar in the VisualDesigner. I have tried the ToolStrip and I think I can make the top level menus, but then nothing inside them. I'm not convinced that is the right widget. I have looked at one of the showcase examples and that seems to use a Tree. I can't see that though in the Component Library (top right of the VB). Any clues?

Thanks Mark.

Hi Mark, although it's possible to get further than you have with Visual Builder, ultimately you are not using the right tool: this is a tool for designers, not developers. Take a look at this FAQ for more context.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for that. Although I am a developer I am evaluating SmartGWT for use by other staff who will be doing the designing. I want to have a single screen definition that will be used by the program, but which also can be worked on by the designer.

I would certainly like to know how I can get further as I have been trying for quite a few hours without much success. I suspect this is partly because I have been using GWT for a few years and my thinking is orientated towards that in terms of layouts and components. I suspect you are saying that the VB does not allow me to design all the menus and that I will have to do some XML editing myself. I would just like that assertion either confirmed or corrected so I don't waste time trying to achieve the impossible.

Thanks very much, Mark.

Comment

You create a cascading Menu by dragging a Menu onto a MenuItem (the dragged menu becomes menuItem.submenu).

However, there are definitely things a developer can do from XML that can't be done within Visual Builder yet - mostly things a designer would not do.

What concrete scenarios of altering a screen's design did you have in mind for designer / developer collaboration via Visual Builder?

Note that we have a second tool, Reify, that provides a different workflow for developer / designer collaboration. This is more appropriate for less technical designers, who might be overwhelmed in Visual Builder.

Comment

Working...
        X