Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

6.1p: viewRequires + velocity problem with empty template variable and therefore broken viewRequires

Hi Isomorphic,

I'm trying to use viewRequires as you describe it in the docs:
    Indicates that the specified VelocityExpression must evaluate to true if values for the field are to be fetched. If the specified expression does not evaluate to true, the field will be dropped as described for viewRequiresAuthentication.

In addition to the normal context variables available to Velocity expressions in Smart GWT, expressions you write for field-level requires clauses - viewRequires, editRequires, initRequires and updateRequires - can reference two additional variables: $fieldName and $dsName. These are the names of the dataSource and field currently undergoing requires checks. They are helpful because they allow you to write a generic checker function that can be used to handle requires checks for multiple fields and dataSources.
    I do have a problem with a template variable I need in velocity to evaluate the value, though. To me it seems that this template variable is never set - the breakpoint for it is never hit for a fetch nor for DataSourceLoader (which might be correct, but then I'd need to know how to add those here). Please see this BuiltInDS-based sample (v11.1p_2018-03-17) and select "Animals":

animals.ds.xml:
    Code:
    <DataSource
      ID="animals"
        serverType="sql"
        tableName="animals"
        testFileName="animals.data.xml" serverConstructor="com.smartgwt.sample.server.listener.MySQLDataSource">
        <fields>
            <field name="commonName"      title="Animal"             type="text"/>
            <field name="scientificName"  title="Scientific Name"    type="text"  primaryKey="true"  required="true"/>
            <field name="lifeSpan"        title="Life Span"          type="integer"/>
            <field name="status"          title="Endangered Status"  type="text">
                <valueMap>
                    <value>Threatened</value>
                    <value>Endangered</value>
                    <value>Not Endangered</value>
                    <value>Not currently listed</value>
                    <value>May become threatened</value>
                    <value>Protected</value>
                </valueMap>
            </field>
    [B]       <field name="diet"            title="Diet"               type="text"                viewRequires="$t_config.getVisible(&quot;diet&quot;, $servletRequest)" />
            <field name="information"     title="Interesting Facts"  type="text"  length="1000" viewRequires="$t_config.getVisible(&quot;diet&quot;)" /> [/B]
              <!--
                    <field name="diet"            title="Diet"               type="text"  />
            <field name="information"     title="Interesting Facts"  type="text"  length="1000" />
            -->
            <field name="picture"         title="Picture"            type="image" detail="true"
                   imageURLPrefix="/isomorphic/system/reference/inlineExamples/tiles/images/"/>
        </fields>
    </DataSource>
    MySQLDataSource.java:
    Code:
    package com.smartgwt.sample.server.listener;

import com.isomorphic.datasource.DSRequest;
    import com.isomorphic.datasource.DSResponse;
    import com.isomorphic.sql.SQLDataSource;

public class MySQLDataSource extends SQLDataSource {

private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;

[B]    public static DSRequest addDefaultTemplateContext(DSRequest request) throws Exception {
            request.addToTemplateContext("t_config", T_CONFIG.getInstance());
            return request;
        }[/B]

@Override
        public DSResponse executeFetch(DSRequest request) throws Exception {
            // Not hit during DataSourceLoader - most likely OK
    [B]        addDefaultTemplateContext(request);[/B]
            DSResponse fetchResponse = super.executeFetch(request);
            return fetchResponse;
        }
    }
    T_CONFIG.java - I add all template classes like this as singleton with a timed data reload (no data here):
    Code:

import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest;

public class T_CONFIG {
        private static T_CONFIG instance = new T_CONFIG();

public static T_CONFIG getInstance() {
            return instance;
        }

public boolean getVisible(String fieldName, HttpServletRequest servletRequest) {
            return true;
        }

public boolean getVisible(String fieldName) {
            return true;
        }

public String getVisible2(String fieldName, HttpServletRequest servletRequest) {
            return "true";
        }

public String getVisible2(String fieldName) {
            return "true";
        }
    }
    If you look at the DataSourceLoader-result, you'll see a canView:false for both edited fields in the .ds.xml. I assume that when I know where to inject the template variable here, everything will be good.
    It is OK that the function then will rely on user grants and on database data to return either true or false, correct?
    So differing results for different users are OK, like it is the case with viewRequires, correct? (This basically means, viewRequires is an boilerplate-free version of canView?)

This is an important one for me, as a customer of mine wants to see extra fields, but I want to show those fields only there and not for other customers.

Best regards
    Blama

Your placement is correct for a fetch, but your need a subclass of DataSourceLoader that injects the variable there as well.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

can you tell me which method to override and how? The docs show only one method in DataSourceLoader.

Best regards
      Blama

Comment

It's a servlet, so any place in the normal servlet lifecycle is fine, eg, doGet(), doPost().

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

sorry, still unclear. What to add here where? The addToTemplateContext() I use in my SQLDataSource-subclass' overridden executeFetch() is defined on DSRequest. I do not have a DSRequest in DataSourceLoader.

Code:
          public class MyDataSourceLoader extends DataSourceLoader {
              private static final long serialVersionUID = 3994104605640773331L;

@Override
              public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
                  super.doGet(request, response);
              }
          }
          Thank you & Best regards
          Blama

Comment

Yes, when contacting the DataSourceLoader, there is no dsRequest. However, other standard Velocity variables are available, including servletRequest, so you can make your object available via setAttribute().

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

OK, one step closer now, but I still have a problem with executeFetch(), which does not seem to use the Velocity expression and silently defaults to false. Attached the full changes to BuiltInDS (v11.1p_2018-03-17):

animals.ds.xml:
              Code:
              <DataSource
                ID="animals"
                  serverType="sql"
                  tableName="animals"
                      testFileName="animals.data.xml" [B]serverConstructor="com.smartgwt.sample.server.listener.MySQLDataSource"[/B]>
                  <fields>
                      <field name="commonName"      title="Animal"             type="text"/>
                      <field name="scientificName"  title="Scientific Name"    type="text"  primaryKey="true"  required="true"/>
                      <field name="lifeSpan"        title="Life Span"          type="integer" viewRequires="true" />
                      <field name="status"          title="Endangered Status"  type="text">
                          <valueMap>
                              <value>Threatened</value>
                              <value>Endangered</value>
                              <value>Not Endangered</value>
                              <value>Not currently listed</value>
                              <value>May become threatened</value>
                              <value>Protected</value>
                          </valueMap>
                      </field>
              [B]       <!-- visible -->
                      <field name="diet"            title="Diet"               type="text"  viewRequires="$servletRequest.getAttribute(&quot;t_config&quot;).getVisible(&quot;diet&quot;)" />
                      <!-- not visible -->
                      <field name="information"     title="Interesting Facts"  type="text"  viewRequires="$servletRequest.getAttribute(&quot;t_config&quot;).getVisible(&quot;information&quot;)" length="1000" />[/B]
                      <field name="picture"         title="Picture"            type="image" detail="true"
                             imageURLPrefix="/isomorphic/system/reference/inlineExamples/tiles/images/"/>
                  </fields>
              </DataSource>
              T_CONFIG.java:
              Code:

public class T_CONFIG {
                  private static T_CONFIG instance = new T_CONFIG();

public static T_CONFIG getInstance() {
                      return instance;
                  }

public boolean getVisible(String fieldName) {
              [B]return "diet".equals(fieldName);[/B]
                  }
              }
              MyDataSourceLoader.java:
              Code:

import java.io.IOException;

import javax.servlet.ServletException;
              import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse;

import com.isomorphic.servlet.DataSourceLoader;

public class MyDataSourceLoader extends DataSourceLoader {
                  private static final long serialVersionUID = 616663945156810788L;

@Override
                  public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
                      request.setAttribute("t_config", T_CONFIG.getInstance()); // breakpoint hit, if set
                  }
              }
              MySQLDataSource.java:
              Code:

private static final long serialVersionUID = -2103887355803373948L;

@Override
                  public DSResponse executeFetch(DSRequest request) throws Exception {
                      request.addToTemplateContext("t_config", T_CONFIG.getInstance()); // breakpoint hit, if set
                      return super.executeFetch(request);
                  }
              }
              web.xml change:
              Code:
                  <servlet>
                      <servlet-name>DataSourceLoader</servlet-name>
                      <!-- <servlet-class>com.isomorphic.servlet.DataSourceLoader</servlet-class> -->
                      <servlet-class>com.smartgwt.sample.server.listener.MyDataSourceLoader</servlet-class>
                  </servlet>
              This is an excerpt of what I see for http://127.0.0.1:8888/builtinds/sc/D...Source=animals (expected):
              Code:
              {name:"diet",columnCode:"8cc164d47468f433251653c8ab7971f1",title:"Diet",type:"text",validators:[]},
              {[B]canView:false[/B],[B]name:"information"[/B],columnCode:"bb3ccd5881d651448ded1dac904054ac"}
              This is the SQL if you fetch animals-DS in the GUI (unexpected):
              Code:
              SELECT LIMIT 0 75  animals.commonName, animals.scientificName, animals.lifeSpan, animals.status, animals.picture FROM animals WHERE ('1'='1')
              As you can see both columns (diet and information) are missing in the SQL. I'd expect diet to be included. As no data is fetched here, that column is also empty in the GUI.

As a breakpoint in T_CONFIG.getVisible() is not hit for a fetch (only on startup for DataSourceLoader twice, as expected), I assume there is some issue here.
              A breakpoint in MySQLDataSource.executeFetch() is hit, so the setup is correct in general.

Best regards
              Blama

Comment

executeFetch() is too late. Use addToTemplateContext() in an override of execute().

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

I changed the code of MySQLDataSource.java:
                  Code:

@Override
                      public DSResponse execute(DSRequest request) throws Exception {
                          request.addToTemplateContext("t_config", T_CONFIG.getInstance()); // breakpoint hit, if set
                          return super.execute(request);
                      }
                  }
                  The code is used (breakpoint hit), but still the code in T_CONFIG itself is not called when doing a fetch.

Can you have a look and also perhaps document what to do in this case somewhere, my suggestion being in viewRequires? IMHO this attribute does not make sense without own velocity variables, so it should be clear how to inject them.
                  In this docs, a link to SQLDataSource would also help. Additionally, in SQLDataSource itself there are not many methods documented (like executeFetch(), which is mentioned in the forums very often or any executeX()).

Thank you & Best regards
                  Blama

Comment

execute(), executeFetch() etc are all documented in the superclass (as they should be - they apply across all DataSource types, not just SQLDataSource).

We'll see if we can reproduce the issue you're claiming.

Comment

Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
                      execute(), executeFetch() etc are all documented in the superclass (as they should be - they apply across all DataSource types, not just SQLDataSource).
                      Sorry, I did not see this.
                      Then it's only explaning what most likely will be the necessary steps when one wants to use viewRequires.

Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
                      We'll see if we can reproduce the issue you're claiming.
                      Great, thank you. It's easily reproduced with the testcase from #7 plus the change from #9.

Best regards,
                      Blama

Comment

Declarative Security checks are actually run before DMI, well before DataSource.execute(). Sorry, this was obvious in retrospect. This means you'll need to inject custom context at the servlet level, with an override of IDACall.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

this is working like this. I get this SQL (expected, with diet and without information) and on FETCH my breakpoint in T_CONFIG.getVisible() is hit twice (expected). I do have a question though (see below).

Code:
                          SELECT LIMIT 0 75  animals.commonName, animals.scientificName, animals.lifeSpan, animals.status, animals.diet, animals.picture FROM animals WHERE ('1'='1')
                          Code:

import java.io.IOException;

import javax.servlet.ServletException;
                          import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse;

import com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall;

public class MyIDACall extends IDACall {

/*
                              @Override
                              public DSResponse handleDSRequest(DSRequest arg0, RPCManager arg1, RequestContext arg2) throws Exception {
                                  // arg0.addToTemplateContext("t_config", T_CONFIG.getInstance()); // breakpoint hit, if set
                                  return super.handleDSRequest(arg0, arg1, arg2);
                              }

@Override
                                  // request.setAttribute("t_config", T_CONFIG.getInstance()); // breakpoint hit, if set
                              }
                              */

@Override
                              public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
                                  request.setAttribute("t_config", T_CONFIG.getInstance()); // breakpoint hit, if set
                                  super.doPost(request, response);
                              }
                          }
                          See comments, only doPost() overwritten. Is this what you meant? Not an override of handleDSRequest()? Will this also work for queues?

Can you add this to the documentation of viewRequires? I'm pretty sure noone could figure this out on his or her own currently.

Best regards
                          Blama

Comment

There are obscure cases where doGet() would also need to be overridden. However, there's no need to know this, as handleDSRequest() would also work.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

that's why I was asking. I expected it should be handleDSRequest(), but that does not work - breakpoint in T_CONFIG.getVisible() not hit on fetch, diet- and information-fields missing in SQL.

not working MyIDACall.java:
                              Code:

import com.isomorphic.rpc.RPCManager;
                              import com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall;
                              import com.isomorphic.servlet.RequestContext;

public class MyIDACall extends IDACall {

@Override
                                  public DSResponse handleDSRequest(DSRequest arg0, RPCManager arg1, RequestContext arg2) throws Exception {
                                      arg0.addToTemplateContext("t_config", T_CONFIG.getInstance()); // breakpoint hit, if set
                                      return super.handleDSRequest(arg0, arg1, arg2);
                                  }

/*
                                  @Override
                                      // request.setAttribute("t_config", T_CONFIG.getInstance()); // breakpoint hit, if set
                                  }

@Override
                                  public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
                                      super.doPost(request, response);
                                  }
                                  */
                              }
                              Best regards
                              Blama

Comment

Working...
                              X