Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Best practice: Testing SmartGWT 12 applications with Selenium

Hi Isomorphic,

after reading your blog post for the new SmartGWT 12, it seems that the best practice for testing applications with Selenium must have changed.

The 6.1 and 12.0 docs for UsingSelenium do not differ, though. Same for 6.1 and 12.0 docs for AutomatedTesting. Same for 6.1 and 12.0 docs for JUnitSeleniumRC.

My questions are now:
    1. If I'm not using Selenium yet, but planning to do so soon, how to start best?
    2. Use the Selenium browser extension or Selenium IDE (I assume the former, which then also means webdriver, correct)?
    3. It is still necessary to use the user-extensions.js and user-entensions-ide.js if using the Selenium Extension for Chrome?
    4. Does anything regarding the locators change (I assume no, still e.g. "scLocator=//TreeGrid[ID="employeeTree"...)

General questions:
    5. As of today, I'm not using any setID(), so I have generated IDs, which is fine. If I have more instances of one class and want to target e.g. the 4th one, but don't know if there will be 3 or 4, how do I do this?
    6. Can you update the mentioned 12.0 docs to reflect the Best Practice changes that come with the change to WebDriver?
    Thank you & Best regards
    Blama

As we covered in the blog, we specifically implemented Webdriver 3 support in such that best practices do not change. You continue to use Selenium IDE for recording selenese with scLocators, and this Selenese can be played back with WebDriver 3.

Comment

Hi Isomorphic,

OK, then I think my assumption was wrong here. Then the only thing missing is mentioning this somewhere in the 12.0 docs:
      Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
      You continue to use Selenium IDE for recording selenese with scLocators, and this Selenese can be played back with WebDriver 3.
      To you have an Best practice for this one?
      Originally posted by Blama View Post
      As of today, I'm not using any setID(), so I have generated IDs, which is fine. If I have more instances of one class and want to target e.g. the 4th one, but don't know if there will be 3 or 4, how do I do this?
      Thank you & Best regards
      Blama

Comment

We explain locator fallback behaviors in the docs. If you suspect those won't cover your future changes, you could add another ID to be sure of stability.

Comment

How can i record tests properly with the (new) Selenium IDE extensions for Chrome or Firefox? As I saw there is no way to insert the user-extensions.js and user-entensions-ide.js. Shall we go back and use Firefox 54 or is there any way to plug those extensions in?

Comment

Working...
          X