Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Can COLUMN ChartType support ChartPointHoverCustomizer?

SmartGWT 3.1, GWT 2.5.0

We want to show attributes in the record other than the value being plotted. I can see LINE ChartType support this, how about COLUMN ChartType. If not, any other options?

In what way do you want to show this additional information?

If you mean showing stacked column charts, that's just setStacked().

Comment

No, it is not a multi series plot. It is more like a multi-axis plot, but instead of plotting the other 'axis', we want to show the data in a manipulated way on a hover text. It is like setDataValueFormatter's ValueFormatter.format() with the Record object in addition to the value.

Comment

You can use a mouseMove handler is combination with getNearestDrawnValue() if you want to implement a hover behavior that shows more data.

Comment

Let me restate the requirements. Say I have 5 records in my FacetChart data. For each record I have 4 attributes: X, Y, Extra1, Extra2. I am plotting X vs Y only, so a single series and single axis bar graph. When I mouse-over one of the 5 bars, I want to show a a tooltip with Extra1 & Extra2 (with some computation) in it for that record.

I know SmartGWT can do it with ChartType=LINE. How do I do it with ChartType=COLUMN? Appreciate your help.

Comment

Right, same answer - use a mouseMove handler and getNearestDrawnValue if you want to add a hover that's different from the default.

Comment

So if I add a MouseOverEventHandler to the chart, onMouseOverEvent() I call getNearestDrawnValue(). That return a DrawnValue object. With that I still can't get the record of the mouse over bar, can I? Without the record, how can I get the other values from the attributes.

Comment

MouseMouse, not MouseOver.

The FacetValues on the DrawnValue uniquely identify a record - you could use this with APIs like RecordList/ResultSet.find() if you need to look up the Record.

Comment

Tried that and got exception at 'drawnValue.getFacetValues()', what am I missing?

Code:
                                  public void onMouseMove(MouseMoveEvent event) {
                                      DrawnValue drawnValue = ((FacetChart)(event.getSource())).getNearestDrawnValue();
                                      FacetValueMap fvm = drawnValue.getFacetValues();
                                      String[] key = fvm.getFacetIds();
                                      SC.say("MouseMove on bar: " + key);
                                  }

Caused by: com.google.gwt.core.client.JavaScriptException: (TypeError) @com.smartgwt.client.widgets.BaseWidget::getAttributeAsJavaScriptObject(Ljava/lang/String;)([string: 'facetValues']): $wnd.isc[scClassName] is undefined
                  at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.invokeJavascript(BrowserChannelServer.java:249)
                  at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpaceOOPHM.doInvoke(ModuleSpaceOOPHM.java:136)
                  at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNative(ModuleSpace.java:571)
                  at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNativeObject(ModuleSpace.java:279)
                  at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.JavaScriptHost.invokeNativeObject(JavaScriptHost.java:91)
                  at com.smartgwt.client.widgets.BaseWidget.getAttributeAsJavaScriptObject(BaseWidget.java)
                  at com.smartgwt.client.widgets.chart.DrawnValue.getFacetValues(DrawnValue.java:181)
                  at com.oatsystems.raf.smartgwt.client.chart.GridChartLayout$10.onMouseMove(GridChartLayout.java:487)

Comment

This was fixed a while ago - get the latest patched build at smartclient.com/builds.

Comment

Thanks. Now that the exception is fixed and I can get to the record I want when mouse move over it. How do I activate/deactivate the hover text on demand?

I know I can do
                      setShowValueOnHover(true);
                      setDataValueFormatter(new ValueFormatter() {...});

But that seems to conflict with MouseMoveEvent. MouseClickEvent is OK.

Should I implement my own popup window? Which widget should I use in that case?

Comment

You would implement your own. You can use any widget, but consider Label and DetailViewer as possibilities.

Comment

Note we have now added a drawnValue.getRecord() API that removes the need to look up the Record based on the facetValues (as we mentioned in post #8).

Comment

Working...
                          X