Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Log4j 1.2 end of life / outdated jars

Hi Isomorphic,

as you might have noticed from the last posts and change of topics, we don't develop much in the last months, but do overdue infrastructure work.
    This included hardware change (separation of DB and Application on new servers) that for some reason triggered this issue and will also include a migration from Oracle -> Postgres.

Then I looked a bit (not done yet) into this issue.

Now we wanted to switch logging from "stupid" Tomcat stdout-catalina.out-logging to Greylog, where log4j2 is the default version for its appender. Also log4j 1 is officially EOL since August 2015 and per docs it's not clear if the new version can just be dropped in.

In all these cases it comes down to this: It would be great if you updated your shipped 3rd party libraries to the current version.
    As I wrote here, it's clear to me that this a big change that can't possibly happen in a 12.0p nightly, but if it were possible for 12.1p, where I don't know how far you are away from the release, this would of course be great.

Best regards
    Blama

We will be updating to log4j2, but not for 12.1.

You already have the ability to use whatever logging framework you want, and log4j is not the kind of library that suddenly has security issues, so there is little urgency here.

Comment

Hi ,
      I am using smartwgt components of version 9.0. We are planning to move to log4j2 so i made all the necessary changes to build the application.Everything like compile,loading the server is fine, but the problems comes from the isomorphic jar's, it is expecting a class org.apache.log4j.spi.RootLogger which is not in the log4j2.so it is not able to send the server push will you please help me regarding this?

Comment

Is there any one to solve or give an idea? I am using log4j bridge to use the log4j2 framework, while doing compiling the code is compiled properly, but in the run time there are some isomorphic jars which throws exception, It is excepting some classes from log4j1, but i cant keep log4j1 related jars as i moved to log4j2 via bridge(log4j-1.2-api-2.12.0.jar, log4j-api-2.12.0.jar,log4j-core-2.12.0.jar).Please help me.Is it fixed in the latest versions, if it is fixed please let me know in which version it is fixed and let me know whether i have to purchase it?

Comment

We’ve already answered you in your other thread.

We support use of log4j2 via slf bridge. Both log4j and log4j2 can be present in the same deployment.

Comment

Hello, any updates in regard to version 13 ?

Actually it would be nice to be able to deploy an application which logs with log4j1 and another with log4j2 on the same server.
            Last edited by claudiobosticco; 23 Dec 2020, 05:14.

Comment

Hello, any updates on this issue?

Comment

Why aren't you able to deploy log4j1 and log4j2 together on the same server? Is there some way you believe we are preventing that?

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, but to use log4j2 I'm passing those to the JVM:

-DiscUseSlf4j=true -DiscUseLog4jConfig=false

this way, an application configured with log4j.isc.config.xml won't log anything.

Comment

This is a really weird use case, but there is a solution if it's important..

sfl4j specifically avoids per-application switching between different log frameworks in the same JVM, because there are potentially nightmarish classloader issues in that direction. However, you can configure sfl4j to use JCL, and then within JCL configure which log framework to use. Here's some background:

https://www.baeldung.com/slf4j-with-log4j2-logback

We have to say we agree with slf4j's philosophy here and would encourage you to just use the same log framework for all applications in the same JVM.

Comment

The question arose because I'm migrating some old applications to a new server where there's a newer application which uses log4j2.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification, I'll change older applications to use log4j2.

Comment

Yes I am also using log4j2 in my pilot project. Thanks for the information!

Comment

Working...
                        X