Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Join Clause

Is there a way to overwrite the join clause for a SQL data source? I'm looking for something similar to how tableClause, whereClause, etc works.

tableClause is where we put the joins.

Comment

I tried that, but adding an incluleFrom field adds additional joins.

Comment

Could you clarify what you're trying to do? Are you trying to get rid of existing joins, add additional joins, something else?

Are you using DataSource.useAnsiJoins? This effects which clause is used for joins. See also operationBinding.includeAnsiJoinsInTableClause.

Comment

So I have 2 tables, A and B. Table A is the master set of data and B may or may not have a related record. I need to add a condition to the join. The ds.xml is based off of table B since those are the values it would be editing, Here's the query that works:

SELECT ... FROM A
          LEFT JOIN B ON A.id = B.id AND B.company_id = ?

I got it working by using a customSQL, but then I lose paging which isn't ideal. If I could just override the table/join clause it would be great. Which I'm able to do as long as I don't includeFrom table A as that adds duplicated joins.

Comment

Hi aderosso,

if there is no built-in way (don't think so) you can try this:
            1) Analyze your query
            2) No includeFrom fields in a.ds.xml, but instead:
            Code:
            <field name="b_extradata" customSelectExpression="SELECT extradata FROM b WHERE a.id = b.id AND b.company_id = $criteria.fakeField" />
            <field name="fakeField" customSelectExpression="null" />
            Then run this query and see if your DB optimizes the correlated subselect away into a outer join. If the plans are identical, you should be able to pull this of somehow with no performance penalty.

Best regards
            Blama

Comment

Thanks Blama, I was able to get it working with customSQL. I was just wondering though if it's intended that the <tableClause> doesn't suppress other system generated join statements? Or would be nice to have a <joinClause> to be able to add.

Comment

Hi aderosso,

yes, but customSQL lost you your pagination.
                These two queries return the same for me:
                Code:
                --EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, COSTS, VERBOSE, BUFFERS, FORMAT JSON)
                select p.id                                                                                                as product_id
                     , p.name                                                                                              as product_name
                     , (select pc.name
                        from t_productcategory pc
                        where pc.id = p.productcategory_id
                          and p.name like '%S%')                                                                           as productcategory_name
                from t_product p;

--EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, COSTS, VERBOSE, BUFFERS, FORMAT JSON)
                    select p.id    as product_id
                     , p.name  as product_name
                     , pc.name as productcategory_name
                from t_product p
                         left outer join t_productcategory pc on pc.id = p.productcategory_id and p.name like '%S%';
                And they should both work with pagination, IMHO.

Also, there is already OperationBinding.ansiJoinClause. I did not use it so far, though.

Best regards
                Blama

Comment

Ahhh, that's what I was looking for. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X