No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Very strange JSTranslater intermittent error

(running 13.0-d20210925)

Hi there,

i am seeing an intermittent, very strange error when running in devmode locally. You can find the full stacktrace in the end.

From what i can gather, i get it when the datasource fetch operation is called the first time i start devmode up.
    If you look below, it complains about a field in my object being a localdate but not having a getLong()-method!

If i refresh the exact same page, the Firefox request log looks identical, but i never get the error the second time.

I did put a breakpoint in the constructor of UnconvertableException, and it's this code that causes the exception (i don't have the source, but for me it's row 837 of JSTranslater):

Code:
    if ("java.time.LocalDate".equals(className)) {
        try {
            _milliOfDay = (Long) Reflection.invokeMethod(javaObj, "getLong", new Object[]{Reflection.invokeStaticMethod("java.time.temporal.ChronoField", "valueOf", new Object[]{"EPOCH_DAY"})});
            var107 = this.convertSimple(new Date(_milliOfDay * 24L * 60L * 60L * 1000L), out, cfg);
        } catch (Exception var91) {
            throw new UnconvertableException("Failed to translate java.time.LocalDate object", var91);
        } finally {
            convertSimpleDetailLapse("LocalDate", nanos);
        }

return var107;
    }
    I have a hard time getting to the bottom of this, so i'm hoping this is crystal clear to you :)
    Seems to me like some sort of bug/sync/threading issue since it only happens the first time, but i sure don't know. In any case, I don't think that an error such as this should propagate all the way out to the end client? I get the stacktrace included in the dsresponse.

Any ideas?

2021-10-26 13:24:10.466 ERROR ***IDACall - ***IDACall top-level exception
    com.isomorphic.js.UnconvertableException: com.isomorphic.js.UnconvertableException: Failed to translate java.time.LocalDate object
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convertSimple(JSTranslater.java:1212)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convert(JSTranslater.java:830)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convert(JSTranslater.java:741)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convert(JSTranslater.java:732)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convertMap(JSTranslater.java:1656)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convert(JSTranslater.java:987)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convertIterator(JSTranslater.java:1823)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convertCollection(JSTranslater.java:1769)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convert(JSTranslater.java:894)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convert(JSTranslater.java:892)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.toJS(JSTranslater.java:703)
    at com.isomorphic.rpc.RPCManager.completeResponse(RPCManager.java:1662)
    at com.isomorphic.rpc.RPCManager.send(RPCManager.java:810)
    at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.processRPCTransaction(IDACall.java:183)
    at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.processRequest(IDACall.java:148)
    at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall._processRequest(IDACall.java:119)
    at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.doPost(IDACall.java:79)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
    at com.isomorphic.servlet.BaseServlet.service(BaseServlet.java:178)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:812)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1669)
    at net.bull.javamelody.MonitoringFilter.doFilter(MonitoringFilter.java:232)
    at net.bull.javamelody.MonitoringFilter.doFilter(MonitoringFilter.java:209)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:317)
    at org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:127)
    at org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:91)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:331)
    at org.springframework.security.web.access.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:114)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:331)
    at org.springframework.security.web.session.SessionManagementFilter.doFilter(SessionManagementFilter.java:137)
    at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.java:111)
    at org.springframework.security.web.servletapi.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:170)
    at org.springframework.security.web.savedrequest.RequestCacheAwareFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheAwareFilter.java:63)
    at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.java:200)
    at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:116)
    at org.springframework.security.web.header.HeaderWriterFilter.doFilterInternal(HeaderWriterFilter.java:66)
    at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)
    at org.springframework.security.web.context.request.async.WebAsyncManagerIntegrationFilter.doFilterInternal(WebAsyncManagerIntegrationFilter.java:56)
    at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)
    at org.springframework.security.web.session.ConcurrentSessionFilter.doFilter(ConcurrentSessionFilter.java:155)
    at org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.java:105)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilterInternal(FilterChainProxy.java:214)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:177)
    at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:347)
    at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:263)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:585)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:577)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:223)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1127)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:515)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:185)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1061)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.RequestLogHandler.handle(RequestLogHandler.java:95)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:499)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:311)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:544)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: Method getLong not found on class java.time.LocalDate
    at com.isomorphic.base.Reflection.findMethod(Reflection.java:452)
    at com.isomorphic.base.Reflection.findMethod(Reflection.java:401)
    at com.isomorphic.base.Reflection.invokeMethod(Reflection.java:545)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convertSimple(JSTranslater.java:1208)
    ... 83 more

at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convert(JSTranslater.java:999)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convert(JSTranslater.java:892)
    at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.toJS(JSTranslater.java:703)
    at com.isomorphic.rpc.RPCManager.completeResponse(RPCManager.java:1662)
    at com.isomorphic.rpc.RPCManager.send(RPCManager.java:810)
    at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.processRPCTransaction(IDACall.java:183)
    at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.processRequest(IDACall.java:148)
    at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall._processRequest(IDACall.java:119)
    at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.doPost(IDACall.java:79)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
    at com.isomorphic.servlet.BaseServlet.service(BaseServlet.java:178)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:812)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1669)
    at net.bull.javamelody.MonitoringFilter.doFilter(MonitoringFilter.java:232)
    at net.bull.javamelody.MonitoringFilter.doFilter(MonitoringFilter.java:209)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:317)
    at org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:127)
    at org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:91)
    at org.springframework.security.web.access.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:114)
    at org.springframework.security.web.session.SessionManagementFilter.doFilter(SessionManagementFilter.java:137)
    at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.java:111)
    at org.springframework.security.web.servletapi.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:170)
    at org.springframework.security.web.savedrequest.RequestCacheAwareFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheAwareFilter.java:63)
    at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.java:200)
    at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:116)
    at org.springframework.security.web.header.HeaderWriterFilter.doFilterInternal(HeaderWriterFilter.java:66)
    at org.springframework.security.web.context.request.async.WebAsyncManagerIntegrationFilter.doFilterInternal(WebAsyncManagerIntegrationFilter.java:56)
    at org.springframework.security.web.session.ConcurrentSessionFilter.doFilter(ConcurrentSessionFilter.java:155)
    at org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.java:105)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilterInternal(FilterChainProxy.java:214)
    at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:177)
    at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:347)
    at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:263)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:585)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:577)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:223)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1127)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:515)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:185)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1061)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.RequestLogHandler.handle(RequestLogHandler.java:95)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:499)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:311)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:544)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    [ERROR] 500 - POST /nw/sc/IDACall?isc_rpc=1&isc_v=SNAPSHOT_v13.0d_2021-09-25&isc_xhr=1 (127.0.0.1) 8192 bytes
    Last edited by mathias; 26 Oct 2021, 11:46.

In hopes of helping out, i put a breakpoint and took a screenshot, see attached below.

The very interesting thing to me, that you can see in the screenshot, is that i have a breakpoint where the unconvertableexception is created and thrown. The exception that has been caught has surely been thrown 3 rows above, where you try to assign a value to milliOfDay.

But as you can see, when i do "evaluate expression" on that same row, it works fine! Most strange, and i hope it is clearer to you than it is to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 21.48.48.png
Views:	122
Size:	566.4 KB
ID:	266713
    Attached Files

Comment

You mention this error is "intermittent" - if it seems to happen after the application has been reloaded or redeployed (with the same JVM running) it is most likely classloader / type confusion within the JVM. Although encouraged and, in places, mandated by the Java standard, reloading classes in a running JVM seems to often lead to "impossible" crashes like this. So we would recommend at least trying out the approach of just restarting the JVM when new functionality is deployed.

Note that you may be reloading the app without realizing it. Sometimes just touching a file on disk causes an auto-restart, so it can happen from attempts at "hot patches".

We'll also improve the logging here, so you can see the stack trace from the underlying exception. However, as you've discovered, running the exact same code again doesn't cause the error, so that's why we're blaming the JVM.

Comment

It happens when i kick of my run config in intellij and boot up the jetty server the first time, not after that, from what i can tell.

The first time the data is fetched for that particular grid after the system has started, it happens, *mostly* but sometimes not, and in that exact place. After that it never happens unless i restart kill and restart the jetty run.

It feels strange that a LocalDate should cause a classloader issue, that class has already been loaded, but i'm no expert.

It doesn't feel great that it happens and that there seems to be nothing to do about it.

Comment

There's potentially plenty to do, but not much that we can do for you if we have an inaccurate picture of the problem!

So, by "intermittent", it sounds like you really meant: "happens at most once per startup, the first time a particular request for one specific DataSource comes in, never again for the same startup, and never for any other DataSource"?

Is that now accurate? Because if this is DataSource-specific that's very different. And if it's once-only it's very different. Sounds like an init-time issue.

And also if it's once-ever per startup then no surprise that catching it in the debugger, it wouldn't happen again, right? Are you still surprised about that given these questions?

As a reminder: we already let you know we're adding additional logging. And, had the problem been as originally described, we gave the correct advice that restarting the JVM instead of just the application would likely resolve a JVM-level bug. So, no lack of actionable advice here.

Comment

BTW as always great with quick responses.

Yes, that's it. With 'intermittent' i meant that it doesn't happen on every start, only most of the time. I could have explained it clearer perhaps.

Yeah, i think you got it pegged down right, from what i've been able to decipher :) If i make the exact same request again, returning the exact same data from the database, it doesn't happen.

I have to say that yeah, i'm kind of surprised since i catch the debugger exactly at the point when it happens. I would have expected an evaluation of the expression that just caused the exception to have the same outcome in the debugger - but again i'm no expert!

Glad to hear you're on it. I wasn't criticizing anything, I was just being sad...

Comment

OK don't be sad :) We have a whole action plan in mind :)

Can you please take a look at the specific DS where this issue occurs and look for differences from other DataSources? And then perhaps share that DS here, letting us know what seems to be special about it.

Also please see if carefully running through the app and not triggering that DS (if that is possible) will still lead to that DS having this error after all other DataSources have been hit. Particularly useful would be to hit any other DataSources where results include a LocaleDate.

Also, from other threads, we know you've got Spring in the mix (there's a "spring mix" salad joke in there somewhere). Please check out the serverInit topic and verify that you see all the logging messages from normal SmartGWT server-side init before this DataSource is hit. We would be unsurprised to find that the underlying exception is something to do with framework init not having run yet, and that's why it seems to self-correct. Some functions of the framework will still work even if init hasn't run yet, but this particular DS might use things that won't work until init has run properly.

And finally, we will be adding logging to see what the underlying exception was, but of course, using breakpoints, you could catch it now and find out what it is.

Comment

Allright, some comments first:

1. It is not the first request to the server, far from it. Other tabs have already been initialized, my "dashboard" page is already loaded etc. It is not even the first time the datasource is called. As you can see below, i have a "custom" method defined on the datasource, which is called before anything else (it's various information related to company settings for scheduling, what the user can do etc. This is why i'm not sure how it could be framework init.
                Also, All the Spring stuff happens when the webapp is started, through ContextLoaderListener, it's not related to any actual network call i'm pretty sure.

2. I have some more info related to the timing and what is loaded. I have to explain a bit about my scheduling tab.
                -It has *two* sub-tabs. One which just is a grid displaying the rows in descending time order. Then another that displays the same data, but in a Timeline, which only shows scheduling events today and in the future. The Timeline is what causes this issue.

--
                What i can see is the following request process:

1. First, a bunch of 'setup' data for my app is loaded using other datasources without issue (config, users and locations, foreign key DS data etc.)
                2. Then the ListGrid scheduling data is loaded without any problem. (uses the same datasource, spring service and everything)
                3. Finally, the Timeline scheduling data is loaded. This is what causes the problem.

Notable is that when the timeline data is loaded, it's using a slightly different form of parameters, so not the exact same rows are returned (as explained in point 2).

Attached is my .ds and a truncated version of my spring service, as well as my javabeans.
                It's the "end" parameter in the LRecurringSchedule that's causing the issue.

Let me know if there's anything else can i provide.
                Attached Files

Comment

So what's different about this DS? Is it the first DS accessed that returns data that involves a LocalDate? If that's not it, how else is it special? We don't have your whole app's code, so we can't analyze this for you - only you can.

Also, looks like this is a pretty recent problem (based on file creation dates in comments). So again, what's new here? Is the first time using this particular data type anywhere in your app? If not, what changed right before you noticed this problem?

And then, what about the data? Can you return a subset of the data and the problem disappears? Because perhaps the problem is as simple as having certain records with date values that are special in some way: they are set to the min or max millis value, so they are untranslatable.

Also, finally, you should be able to see the underlying exception and its stack trace in your debugger, so what is it?

Comment

OK, first to respond to questions:
                    1. Yes i believe it's the first time after startup that i return a LocalDate to you.
                    2. No this is not new code. I am doing a refactoring effort, but we have the same stuff in production since a long time. Our Scheduling module has been around since at least 2016. The middleware hasn't been touched in over a year at least. Production is not running 13d however. We are using LocalDate in various places in production too.
                    3. It's probably the first time that 2 requests come in for the Schedule Data like this though.

As for debugging, i did some more digging.
                    If you see attached screenshot you can see what happens when my (very much trimmed down) entry point loads.

Row 1 is generic data
                    Row 2 is schedule config
                    Row 3 is loading users from the user ds
                    Row 4 is loading schedule data for the timeline - fails
                    Row 5 is loading schedule data for the listgrid

Now, when i look into my own logging there's some interesting stuff. First of all one point to know - row 4 and 5 loads using the same service, but the timeline only has 3 rows to show, while the grid has 116. This means that the TimeLine request will basically always be finished first, which is probably why it always is the one that fails.

This can be seen in my logs. A couple of observations here (printout below)

1. As you can see, the 2 fetch requests comes in almost at the same time and in parallel. In general, this could cause init/sync issues, but i know nothing about your code ofc.
                    2. The ordering of timeline and grid logs can be in any order, but timeline is always finished first since it has much less rows to process.

Code:
                    2021-10-27 13:41:12.350 TRACE c.k.n.service.ScheduleService - fetch;spaceId;6;caller;1;begin;null;end;null;locationId;null;offset;0;limit;250
                    2021-10-27 13:41:12.352 TRACE c.k.n.service.ScheduleService - fetch;spaceId;6;caller;1;begin;Wed Oct 27 00:00:00 CEST 2021;end;Fri Nov 26 23:59:59 CET 2021;locationId;null;offset;0;limit;4000
                    2021-10-27 13:41:12.352 DEBUG ScheduleRepo db - select scheduleit0... for ListGrid
                    2021-10-27 13:41:12.352 DEBUG ScheduleRepo db - select scheduleit0... for TimeLine

2021-10-27 13:41:12.370 TRACE com.n.api.ds.ScheduleDS -
                    RETURNING;fetchScheduleItems;spaceId;6;caller;1;reporterId;null;locationId;null;begin;Wed Oct 27 00:00:00 CEST 2021;end;Fri Nov 26 23:59:59 CET 2021;limit=4000;startRow=0;endRow=4000;total=3;size=3;componentID;isc_SchedTimeline_0

2021-10-27 13:41:12.396 TRACE com.n.api.ds.ScheduleDS -RETURNING;fetchScheduleItems;spaceId;6;caller;1;reporterId;null;locationId;null;begin;null;end;null;limit=250;startRow=0;endRow=250;total=116;size=116;componentID;isc_SchedGrid_0
                    I hope it's not too hard to follow! Let me know if i can do anything more

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 13.42.23.png Views:	0 Size:	274.6 KB ID:	266732
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi mathias, that's potentially useful, and may suggest a concurrency issue, although it's not clear in what system (your app code, Spring, our framework..).

What about the other questions? These two in particular are extremely important:

3. And then, what about the data? Can you return a subset of the data and the problem disappears? Because perhaps the problem is as simple as having certain records with date values that are special in some way: they are set to the min or max millis value, so they are untranslatable.

4. Also, finally, you should be able to see the underlying exception and its stack trace in your debugger, so what is it?
                      Just note that in the almost-quote above, these questions have been numbered for easy reference. To add to these, how about:

5. what if you simply turn off the larger, near- concurrent grid fetch. Can you still reproduce the issue with the Timeline fetch? If so, then that suggests a concurrency issue. If not, likely no concurrency issue.

Comment

Well to be honest, i would have thought the issue was somewhere in your framework. To me, the logs/stack trace and the exception being thrown is a very strong indicator that some strange dealings is going on. Please don't kill me...

I'll try to answer the rest, but first some more debugging info:
                        I tried strippinging down my entry point so that it either loads the schedule grid or the timeline but not both at the same time. I loaded each about 5-10 times, no exceptions thrown.

As for your additional questions:

3. Well, given that i tried the above thing and it could load that exact row without issue, i don't think it's anything wrong with the actual data. I also tried with my "pre-refactoring" web, and that also loads the rows in question without issue. I don't think it's a "special data" issue.

4. I have the entire stack trace in my first post, is that not what you mean?

5. AH! I already answered this above i see :) Again: Yeah if i turn off one or the other i haven't been able to provoke the error. Tried each about 5 times.

Comment

Great, this is clearly a concurrency or order-of-operations issue.

As far as the stack trace, you have the stack trace from the exception our framework throws. You want to see a stack trace for whatever exception was thrown that our framework then responded to by throwing the UnconvertableException. You can get the stack trace (and exception type) of the underlying Exception using your debugger.

Comment

Isn't that in the stack trace above, too? :

Code:
                            Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: Method getLong not found on class java.time.LocalDate
                            at com.isomorphic.base.Reflection.findMethod(Reflection.java:452)
                            at com.isomorphic.base.Reflection.findMethod(Reflection.java:401)
                            at com.isomorphic.base.Reflection.invokeMethod(Reflection.java:545)
                            at com.isomorphic.js.JSTranslater.convertSimple(JSTranslater.java:1208)

Comment

Yes, sorry, you’re correct, there’s the underlying exception in the log and there is nothing to improve in our logging (and we internally had realized the same thing, this morning).

We’re going to take a quick look for possible concurrency issues in the Reflection class, but honestly, odds are bad that this is our issue. We have a lot of concurrency stress tests and they make a lot of calls into Reflection.

What this looks like is that with your particular stack of Spring classloaders and whatever JVM you’re using, sometimes LocalDates do show up as not having methods they really do have. Possibly this is part of the JVMs attempt to somehow deal with the way that certain Java packages keep moving in and out of being official Java APIs, in different Java versions.

Comment

Working...
                              X