Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Debug Doesn’t Work After Migrating SmartGWT from v4.0 to v13.0.

I have a test environment with the BuiltInDs project that uses the following components:
    JDK 1.8
    SmartGWT Eval v13.0-p20221103
    GWT 2.8.2
    Maven 3.8.6

And to run it I use the following targets:

Click image for larger version

Name:	imagen1.png
Views:	29
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	269413

Name:	Imagen2.png
Views:	30
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	269412

Name:	imagen3.png
Views:	28
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	269416

Name:	imagen4.png
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	269417

Name:	imagen5.png
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	269418

Name:	imagen6.png
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	269419

With this configuration, I can access Developer Mode for debugging the code and it works correctly.

On the other hand, I have an environment with a real project that uses the following components:
    JDK 1.8
    SmartGWT Pro v4.0
    GWT 2.8.0
    Maven 2.0

And I run it using the following goals:

Name:	imagen7.png
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	269420

Name:	imagen8.png
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	269421

With those goals I can access the Developer Mode for debugging the code and it works correctly.

Now, when I migrate the productive project to the SmartGWT v13.0-p20221103 version with GWT 2.8.2, the same Maven 2.0 and JDK 1.8, with the same goals that worked in the project without migration, the goals are executed correctly and I can activate the Developer Mode, but the debugging has no effect; moreover, in the console, only a trace similar to this one appears:

Name:	imagen9.png
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	269422

Attached Files
    Last edited by norida.olivera; 20 Jan 2023, 15:03.

Hi, Isomorphic.

Do you have any comments on this?

Comment

Hi, Isomorphic.

We are trying to migrate SmartGWT from version 4.0 to 13.0; During this process we open a report that has a detail which uses a listGrid, but the report is blocked. We wanted to do debugging, but when trying to activate the DevMode and start debugging, it didn't work (as mentioned in the first post, in 4.0 it could be done without problem).

Enabling this debugging mode is essential, for us to be able to review why the report doesn't work (and for other tasks in the future); but it is also important, to be able to finish the migration and proceed to acquire the SmartGWT v13.0 license.

We appreciate any help you can give us in resolving the blockage with debugging configuration. If you need us to send you any files or information you consider relevant, we will gladly share it.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by norida.olivera View Post
        Now, when I migrate the productive project to the SmartGWT v13.0-p20221103 version with GWT 2.8.2, the same Maven 2.0 and JDK 1.8, with the same goals that worked in the project without migration, the goals are executed correctly and I can activate the Developer Mode, but the debugging has no effect; moreover, in the console, only a trace similar to this one appears:
        Maven 2.0 was released in 2005 and is long out of support. Can you reattempt your migration with a currently supported version of Maven? No one else has reported to us a problem with using SmartGWT 13.0 with recent versions of Maven and GWT. There is an incompatibility between the most recent versions of Eclipse and the GWT Eclipse Plugin, but that's not what you're reporting.

Comment

Hi isomorphic.

We updated maven to version 3.8.7, as you recommended, but it still has the same behavior:

Name:	maven.png
Views:	9
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	269494

When enabling DevMode, it shows this in the console:

Name:	log1.png
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	269495

Name:	DevMode.png
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	269496

When trying to access to the page, it shows this in the console:

Name:	log2.png
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	269497

Whould you please guide us with something else that we can check?

Comment

As we said, this hasn't been reported to us by anyone else, so it may just be that there's a misconfiguration somewhere in your settings, etc.

With regard to the double-loading of modules, we have seen that happen in certain situations before. Are you able to use the GWT Plugin in your version of Eclipse? (GWT Development Mode (DevMode))? If you're able to use that launcher, try first running with the "Legacy Development Mode" radio button selected in the GWT tab. You don't need to open it (since it requires a very old browser), so just run the build. Then switch to "Super Development Mode" and rerun the launch configuration. This should correct any issue and allow you to debug with code maps.

The other suggestion is to look at the results of putting "can't find any gwt modules on this page" into your favorite search engine. This produces some interesting results, such as this.

Comment

Note that, if you can't find what's wrong with your project with these incremental approaches, the surefire approach is to take one of the sample Maven projects, set it up and verify debugging is working, then add the resources from your application to that.

With this approach, you are sure to get rid of whatever bad configuration is causing your pre-existing project to fail.

Comment

Working...
              X