Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

So after some testing I was able to get SmartGWT to use the new Tomcat connection pool. In order to get this to work i had to set
    Code:
    sql.pool.enabled: false
    as bbruyn indicated. I think you might want to recheck your statement that the SmartGWT pooling is off by default when using JNDI, because from our testing, putting in that statement had an immediate effect (before trying the new Tomcat pool). Thanks for your help. I do think you may want make the SqlConnectionPooling.html a little more clear though.

Comment

Could you please provide your entire server.properties file? We suspect that the problem you experienced here may have been because there is some SmartGWT-style database config in there. Our local testing shows that SmartGWT connection pooling is forced off for JNDI connections, so we would like to know what's different about your settings so we can get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Hello Isomorphic,

I confirm that something is changing when we set the pooling to false.

* Pooling enabled:

In server.properties:

Code:
        sql.defaultDatabase: FAB_JNDI
        sql.oracle.supportsSQLLimit: true
        sql.oracle.autoJoinTransactions: FROM_FIRST_CHANGE

sql.FAB_JNDI.driver.name: jdbc/FABServerDS
        sql.FAB_JNDI.database.type: oracle
        sql.FAB_JNDI.interface.type: jndi
        In log:

Code:
        === 2013-08-26 13:34:12,451 [: 11] INFO  PoolManager - [builtinApplication.V_FA_VALID_COMPARTMENT_fetch] SmartClient pooling started for 'FAB_JNDI' objects
        === 2013-08-26 13:34:12,451 [: 11] DEBUG PoolableSQLConnectionFactory - [builtinApplication.V_FA_VALID_COMPARTMENT_fetch] Initializing SQL config for 'FAB_JNDI' via JNDI
        === 2013-08-26 13:34:12,451 [: 11] DEBUG PoolableSQLConnectionFactory - [builtinApplication.V_FA_VALID_COMPARTMENT_fetch] makeObject() created a pooled Connection '-587809386'
        === 2013-08-26 13:34:12,467 [: 11] DEBUG PoolableSQLConnectionFactory - [builtinApplication.V_FA_VALID_COMPARTMENT_fetch] Executing pingTest 'select 1 from dual' on connection -587809386
        === 2013-08-26 13:34:12,467 [: 11] DEBUG SQLConnectionManager - [builtinApplication.V_FA_VALID_COMPARTMENT_fetch] Returning borrowed connection '-587809386'
        === 2013-08-26 13:34:12,982 [: 11] DEBUG SQLConnectionManager - About to close PoolableConnection with hashcode "-587809386"
        * Pooling disabled:

In server.properties:

Code:
        sql.defaultDatabase: FAB_JNDI
        sql.oracle.supportsSQLLimit: true
        sql.oracle.autoJoinTransactions: FROM_FIRST_CHANGE
        sql.pool.enabled: false

sql.FAB_JNDI.driver.name: jdbc/FABServerDS
        sql.FAB_JNDI.database.type: oracle
        sql.FAB_JNDI.interface.type: jndi
        In log:

Code:
        === 2013-08-26 14:08:09,290 [: 29] INFO  PoolManager - [builtinApplication.V_FA_VALID_COMPARTMENT_fetch] SmartClient pooling disabled for 'FAB_JNDI' objects
        === 2013-08-26 14:08:09,290 [: 29] DEBUG PoolableSQLConnectionFactory - [builtinApplication.V_FA_VALID_COMPARTMENT_fetch] Initializing SQL config for 'FAB_JNDI' via JNDI
        === 2013-08-26 14:08:09,290 [: 29] DEBUG PoolableSQLConnectionFactory - [builtinApplication.V_FA_VALID_COMPARTMENT_fetch] makeObject() created an unpooled Connection '1385983204'
        === 2013-08-26 14:08:09,290 [: 29] DEBUG SQLConnectionManager - [builtinApplication.V_FA_VALID_COMPARTMENT_fetch] Returning borrowed connection '1385983204'
        === 2013-08-26 14:08:09,805 [: 29] DEBUG SQLConnectionManager - About to close WSJdbcConnection with hashcode "1385983204"
        You can see that the jdbc connection class changes from PoolableConnection to WSJdbcConnection and the "select 1 from dual" is no more used.

We hope this will resolve our problem with strange transaction message with Websphere.

Regards.

Comment

Hey, Isomorphic. Sorry I never saw your post from 7/23 so I didn't respond. I'm seeing the same as '238759' described.

When I didn't have the 'sql.pool.enabled: false' line in the file the log would say:
          Code:
          SmartClient pooling started for 'Oracle' objects
          Once I put in the line the log would say:
          Code:
          SmartClient pooling disabled for 'Oracle' objects
          server.properties db stuff:
          Code:
          sql.defaultDatabase: Oracle

sql.Oracle.driver.driverType: oci
          sql.Oracle.driver: oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver
          sql.Oracle.database.type: oracle
          sql.Oracle.interface.type: jndi