Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

dev mode running out of memory constantly

Been playing around with SmartGwt again after a six-month break or so and I constantly run out of memory while developing now. This happens after the 3rd or 4th refresh of the browser in hosted mode. I recall this happening before, but it was much less frequent (rare even).

Lots of things have changed so I'm trying to see if anyone else is having a similar problem and find out what is common.

1) Using GWT 2.5.1 now (not sure of version before but it wasn't 2.5.1 I don't think)
    2) Using SmartGwt 4.0d now (was on 3.1 before)
    3) Kepler Eclipse (was Juno before)

I'm on a Mac now as well but this happens on my windows box too at home.

So I start a test app (it has 5 buttons on it at the moment... nothing else).

I make a css change and refresh the browser.

I'm able to do this 3-4 times before I get an out of memory error in Eclipse and am forced to shut down server in Eclipse, wait a few seconds, restart it, and then refresh browser page again.

I've played with all sorts of eclipse.ini settings and none of them make a difference.

How large is your GWT hosted mode JVM heap size? I have mine set to a gig. Also which browser are you running in dev mode?

How large is your project itself? I do run into the OOM issue but it's closer to 10 refreshes. You might also want to setup your project to run in SuperDevMode. Debugging client side code in SuperDevMode is not as nice as hitting breakpoints in Eclipse / IntelliJ but for many "refreshes", doing them in SuperDevMode is faster and you will not hit the OOM issue of hosted mode. I have both, hosted mode, and SuperDevMode running along side during development.

Comment

I've tried several heap sizes and gc tweaks and it hasn't made any difference.

I use Firefox for iterative dev and will only try Chrome once I have something where I want it and that's just to see how it looks on Chrome (knowing that Chrome is slow and has issues).

Thanks for the SuperDevMode advice. I'll check that out. 10 refreshes is much better than 3-4 :)

Comment

If you haven't set up SuprDevMode yet, the first response to this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...e-superdevmode post is quite useful.

Comment

Working...
        X