Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Undocumented (but hopefully allowed) extra use of DataSourceField.foreignKey

Hi Isomorphic,

as the docs don't mention it, I wanted to know if this use of DataSourceField.foreignKey is officially supported.

I have a T_ADDRESS table, storing addresses for many different entities (users, resellers, leads, ...). Every row in that table has one and only one of the FKs set (via DB-CHECK-constraint). In each column (e.g. T_ADDRESS.RESELLER_ID), the values are unique (via DB-UNIQUE-constraint).

The T_ADDRESS.ds.xml looks like this:
    Code:
    <DataSource dbName="Oracle" tableName="T_ADDRESS" ID="T_ADDRESS" serverType="sql">
    	<fields>
    		<field primaryKey="true" hidden="true" name="ID" type="sequence" />
    		[B]<field foreignKey="T_RESELLER.ID" name="RESELLER_ID" type="integer" joinType="outer" relatedTableAlias="adr_res"/>
    		<field foreignKey="T_LEAD.ID" name="LEAD_ID" type="integer" joinType="outer" />[/B]
    		<field name="STREET" length="50" type="text" escapeHTML="true" required="true" />
    	</fields>
    </DataSource>

Another ds.xml (T_RESELLER.ds.xml) is this:
    Code:
    <DataSource dbName="Oracle" tableName="T_RESELLER" ID="T_RESELLER" serverType="sql">
    	<fields>
    		[B]<field primaryKey="true" hidden="true" name="ID" type="sequence" foreignKey="V_CURRENT_ACCOUNT_COUNT.RESELLER_ID" joinType="outer" />[/B]
    		<field name="NAME" title="Resellername" length="60" type="text" escapeHTML="true" required="true">
    			<validators>
    				<validator type="isUnique"></validator>
    			</validators>
    		</field>
    	</fields>
    </DataSource>
    T_LEAD_ONLYRESELLER.ds.xml is this:
    Code:
    <DataSource dbName="Oracle" tableName="T_LEAD_ONLYRESELLER" ID="T_LEAD_ONLYRESELLER" serverType="sql">
    	<fields>
    		<field primaryKey="true" hidden="true" name="ID" type="sequence" />
    		<field hidden="true" name="TENANT_ID" type="integer" canEdit="false" />
    [B]		<field foreignKey="T_LEAD.ID" name="LEAD_ID" title="LEAD_ID" type="integer" />
    		<field foreignKey="T_RESELLER.ID" name="RESELLER_ID" title="Reseller" type="integer" displayField="RESELLER_NAME" />[/B]
    		<field name="RESELLER_NAME" [B]includeFrom="T_RESELLER.NAME"[/B] hidden="true" />
    		<field name="RESELLER_ZIPCODE" [B]includeFrom="[I][U]T_ADDRESS.ZIPCODE[/U][/I]" includeVia="RESELLER_ID"[/B] />
    		<field name="RESELLER_CITY" [B]includeFrom="[U][I]T_ADDRESS.CITY[/I][/U]" includeVia="RESELLER_ID"[/B] />

<!-- TENANT_IDs for WHERE-clause generation -->
    		<field name="CREATED_BY_TENANT_ID" includeFrom="V_USER_CREATED_BY.TENANT_ID" hidden="true" />
    		<field name="MODIFIED_BY_TENANT_ID" includeFrom="V_USER_MODIFIED_BY.TENANT_ID" hidden="true" />
    		<field name="RESELLER_TENANT_ID" includeFrom="T_RESELLER.TENANT_ID" hidden="true" />
    		<field name="ADDRESS_TENANT_ID" [B]includeFrom="T_ADDRESS.TENANT_ID" includeVia="RESELLER_ID"[/B] hidden="true" />
    	</fields>
    </DataSource>
    Now if I assign a fetch to T_LEAD_ONLYRESELLER, following table clause is generated:
    Code:
        FROM t_lead_onlyreseller
             JOIN [B]t_reseller[/B] ON t_lead_onlyreseller.reseller_id = [B]t_reseller.id[/B]
             LEFT OUTER JOIN t_address a1 ON [B]t_reseller.id[/B] = a1.reseller_id
             JOIN v_user_created_by ON t_lead_onlyreseller.created_by = v_user_created_by.id
             JOIN v_user_modified_by ON t_lead_onlyreseller.modified_by = v_user_modified_by.id
    As you can see, the joins are generated correctly also backwards correctly - even over a middle T_RESELLER table. If this (which is GREAT) is intended, it would be good to include it in the docs.

I also noted that I have to have the includeVia="RESELLER_ID" in the last table (T_LEAD_ONLYRESELLER),
    as there are two ways possible (the arrows being FKs)
    Code:
    T_LEAD_ONLYRESELLER -> T_LEAD <- T_ADDRESS
    T_LEAD_ONLYRESELLER -> T_RESELLER <- T_ADDRESS
    and the framework chooses the T_LEAD-way if I omit it.
    I also noted that relatedTableAlias="adr_res" (in T_ADDRESS) is not watched when generating the joins backwards.

Best regards and thumbs up once again for the really impressive framework,
    Blama

Yes, includeFrom is designed to automatically figure out indirect inclusions. But this is actually already covered in the docs:

The inclusion can be indirect (traverse multiple DataSources) so long as there is a chain of <code>foreignKey</code> declarations from the target DataSource to the DataSource where the <code>includeFrom</code> field is declared.
    We're not sure what the issue is with relatedTableAlias, but note that this attribute is only active if includeVia is specified.

Comment

Working...
    X