Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

CheckBoxItem String value

Hi,

I seems that calling the setValue() method of a CheckBoxItem, with a string argument ("true" or "false") is not supported or not working. Can you please fix this ?

Here is a test case:

Code:
    VLayout test = new VLayout();
    	DynamicForm form = new DynamicForm();
    	CheckboxItem item = new CheckboxItem("CB1", "First"), item2 = new CheckboxItem("CB2", "Second");
    	item.setValue("true");
    	item2.setValue("false");
    	form.setItems(item, item2);
    	test.setMembers(form);
    	test.setWidth(500);
    	test.setHeight(500);
    	test.show();
    In this example, both items are checked.

Regards,
    Thomas

CheckboxItem will not react to setValue until the form is rendered. You have to put it in some sort of call to FormActivate() or another area of your code after the form has been rendered.

Comment

Thanks, but I don't think so... If I replace "true" and "false" by their boolean equivalent, everything is working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by tgilbert View Post
        Thanks, but I don't think so... If I replace "true" and "false" by their boolean equivalent, everything is working fine.
        My apologies then.. seems to be just a local issue I had to work around. Best of luck.

Comment

The value for a CheckboxItem is a boolean true or false value and not a String, so when you call setValue(), you do need to pass a boolean.

We don't plan to automatically adapt "true" and "false" values because it's not any more convenient, encourages wrong usage, and could interfere with things that subclasses may need to do (like allow a third state that is represented internally by a String).

Comment

Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
            The value for a CheckboxItem is a boolean true or false value and not a String, so when you call setValue(), you do need to pass a boolean.

We don't plan to automatically adapt "true" and "false" values because it's not any more convenient, encourages wrong usage, and could interfere with things that subclasses may need to do (like allow a third state that is represented internally by a String).
            Then why does the JavaDoc show it as an allowable method? I know it's because it derives from FormItem, but this should be prevented.

Comment

Because a specialized subclass could still implement meaningful behavior for this method, as previously discussed.

Comment

Well, I do not agree... The item should adapt itself to the passed value, it really does not hurt to make it a little bit smarter. It's not a question of wrong usage here (in this basic test case, perhaps of course, not in our real situation).

Comment

Originally posted by tgilbert View Post
                  Well, I do not agree... The item should adapt itself to the passed value, it really does not hurt to make it a little bit smarter. It's not a question of wrong usage here (in this basic test case, perhaps of course, not in our real situation).
                  Thomas,

Can you subclass the CheckBoxItem and implement setValue yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Isomorphic View Post
                    Because a specialized subclass could still implement meaningful behavior for this method, as previously discussed.
                    I understand what you are saying, like a tri-state checkbox, but since you don't explicitly have a tri-state CheckBoxItem, having this method exist just because makes no sense. If someone wants to implement a custom setValue, like you imply, then they can do that without setValue(String) existing on CheckBoxItem. It's existence merely confuses people, as it has done here.
                    Last edited by bwilkins30; 12 Feb 2014, 06:45.

Comment

Originally posted by bwilkins30 View Post
                      ...but since you don't explicitly have a tri-state CheckBoxItem
                      Without further checking I think that the Checkboxes in a ListGrid's Filterrow for a boolean column are tri-state.

Best regards,
                      Blama

Comment

Originally posted by Blama View Post
                        Without further checking I think that the Checkboxes in a ListGrid's Filterrow for a boolean column are tri-state.

Best regards,
                        Blama
                        If I am not mistaken, those are auto-children.

Comment

Whether your application is small or large, providing a String to a CheckBoxItem is incorrect usage. You simply need to correct your code, or as bwilkins suggests, add a setValue() implementation that correct the data type for you.

But we would really suggest fixing the underlying problem, because if the basic issue is that you have String values in a DataSourceField declared to be type:boolean, that's goes to cause problems in multiple components and subsystems. Boolean fields should have boolean values.

Comment

Working...
                          X