Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Proper DSResponse for an empty fetch?

I was wondering what the proper DSResponse should be when an empty fetch is performed?

I set the startRow, endRow and totalRows all to 0.

What should be set for the Data via the setData api?

Do I set anything, or null, or an empty List say via Collections.EMPTY_LIST?

Thanks.

An empty List would be the most correct, all 3 possibilities you list are correctly handled.

Comment

Thanks, I am currently setting it to an empty list. I just wanted to make sure I was setting it properly in order to avoid any potential problems.

Comment

I have just update our ds.xml to add an includeFrom field and reference it as the displayField via:
        Code:
        <field name="calendarName" includeFrom="calendar.name"/> 
        <field name="calendar" foreignKey="calendar.id" displayField="calendarName" type="text"/>
        The calendar name gets fetched ok when I have records but when I have no records to return for the list I get the following exception when I use an empy list:
        Code:
        2014-05-16-13:50:20:661 -0400   WARN [http-bio-8080-exec-8] dsRequest.execute() failed: 
        java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0
        	at java.util.Collections$EmptyList.get(Collections.java:3212)
        	at com.isomorphic.datasource.DSRequest.applyManualFilterAndSort(DSRequest.java:5311)
        	at com.isomorphic.datasource.DSRequest.execute(DSRequest.java:2567)
        	at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.handleDSRequest(IDACall.java:215)
        and if set the data to null instead I get this exception:
        Code:
        2014-05-16-13:54:09:856 -0400   WARN [http-bio-8080-exec-4] dsRequest.execute() failed: 
        java.lang.NullPointerException
        	at com.isomorphic.datasource.DSRequest.applyRelatedDSRequest(DSRequest.java:5040)
        	at com.isomorphic.datasource.DSRequest.fetchRelatedValues(DSRequest.java:4929)
        	at com.isomorphic.datasource.DSRequest.execute(DSRequest.java:2566)
        	at com.isomorphic.servlet.IDACall.handleDSRequest(IDACall.java:215)
        Anything I should try?

Thanks

Code Level: SmartClient Version: v9.1p_2014-05-15/Pro Deployment (built 2014-05-15)

Using custom data source implementation.

Comment

Sigh. The code already handles the result of get(0) returning null, but of course since this is Java, an exception is thrown instead. We'll revise this.

Just a note that, since what you're doing here is effectively requesting the equivalent of a SQL JOIN across two different DataSource types where no native SQL is possible, the server framework is doing the equivalent of a SQL join in memory in Java.

This is not fast. Just wanted to make sure you're aware.

Comment

Good point about the SQL Join.

I think I can do the join myself and then I can make the subsequent call to fetchRelatedValues bascially avoid the extra lookup since I will have the displayName. I am pretty sure I can make that work for me.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

You can find this problem fixed in next nightly build.

Comment

Thanks works fine now.

Comment

Working...
                X